Looking for a new printer.

Like the title says. I'm looking for new printer. The one I currently have has given us nothing but trouble the whole time we've had it. It wasn't a real expsensive one so it was kinda of expected. This time we'd like to get a better one. Nothing to crazy in price but something thats going to work well and last a while. I'm just wondering what the people who do a lot of printing are using and what you would recommend. I mean everything, brand, Laser or Ink. All the ins and outs. Thanks gang.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
What features do you need? Scanner/copier? Or just a plain printer? Do you need color? What's your budget? How much do you print? Want a network printer or one that connects via USB to one computer?

There's lots (and I mean lots) of options and choices out there.

All printer manufactures make low-priced machines that are pure shit and will bankrupt you in ink costs. That's the catch. You pay practically nothing for the printer but they ass-fuck you on the cartridge replacements.

If you step up to a better model, you normally don't get the shaft quite so much in terms of ink costs.

This is just in general, there are exceptions of course.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
Since you didn't mention a price range or anything too specific, I will recommend a HP Laserjet 2015dn since I will assume this id for a corporate environment. They are quite the workhorse for their size and they have duplex support.

foyb

Since you didn't mention a price range or anything too specific, I will recommend a HP Laserjet 2015dn since I will assume this id for a corporate environment. They are quite the workhorse for their size and they have duplex support.
A 2015 would be good for a corporate environment. For home, I'd go with a 1018. I've bought about 15 of them at work, and haven't had any problems with any of them. I print quite a bit of crap, and a toner cartridge lasts me about 6 months or so. If you need color, I'd go with the best of the psc series that fits into your price range. You may not think you need a scanner at the moment, but they do come in handy.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
For black & white printing, laser is always going to be your cheapest option.

I've been using Brother printers at a lot of clients. Nice reasonably priced machines, relatively bullet-proof and they have high capacity toner cartridges available that help the cost-per-page factor as well. The 5450 is a print-only, networkable model, the 8450 (and up) is a multifunction unit, also networkable.

On the higher volume end, I've been using Ricoh lasers. Much cheaper than the HP for a comparable model. Small footprint as well. You can get the AP650N for under $700.

As far as color goes - you definitely get screwed in ink costs the cheaper the printer. Especially with HP printers. You're better off getting something with individual color cartridges. A tri-color cartridge can waste as much as 40% of the ink if you have to replace it when one of the colors runs out but the other ones didn't. I personally like the Canon and Epson printers for quality and speed.

If possible, google "page yield" or "cost per page" for any particular model you are considering to determine your printing costs.

Goober

AKA Eqyptian Teabag the Friendly Arab
I got a HP 1006 Laserjet this weekend at BestBuy, for a $100. The printer usually sells for $180. Maybe the offer is still available.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
I got a HP 1006 Laserjet this weekend at BestBuy, for a $100. The printer usually sells for $180. Maybe the offer is still available.
This one is still $100.

If you just need black and white, laser is the way to go.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
For high-yield printing in color, look at any HP that uses the 88 series ink. The high capacity black will set you back $35 but will run over 2,000 pages. For photo printing, any HP with the 02 series inks will do nicely. Theyre not quite as cheap to feed as the 88's, but theyre a lot cheaper than most brands and have great photo quality. There are both printers and multifunctions available with those inks. Staples has an exclusive printer variant (cant remember the model number) with duplexing and wired networking that uses the 88 inks, and cranks out over 30 pages a minute in draft mode for $179.99.

Thanks guys. Looks like its coming down to either an HP or a Brother. Thats the direction everyone has been pointing. Its a home application and we don't do a ton of printing. Most of what is printed is black and white and we're not looking to spend a ton of money. Just something thats gonna be better quality and more reliable then the horseshit Lexmark that came with the computer. What a turd.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Lexmark would be my last choice, also.

For what it's worth, I'd take HP over Brother any day.

I currently have an HP PSC-3210 that I Wooted some months back for $99. It's a refurb, and has worked quite well.

It has SIX individual ink cartridges (none of that tri-color shit), prints, scans, copies, and is network-ready.

The current model is the HP C6280. It's $150-$200. IMHO, it's worth spending the extra cash up-front. You can spend $50 less but you'll be stuck with higher replacement cartridge costs. It's got built in wireless in addition to conventional ethernet network capability.

HP Photosmart C6280 All-in-One

dodisman

I have an EPSON R800...love it...it uses up more ink then i'd like but produces killer quality

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
if you want to network it - instead of buying a more expensive printer, pick up a print server.

http://www.dealtime.com/xGS-print_server
In the case of HP, you're also getting the individual ink cartridges instead of a tri-color cartridge as well as the network capability for $35-$40 extra. Buying a standalone external print server makes no sense.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
In the case of HP, you're also getting the individual ink cartridges instead of a tri-color cartridge as well as the network capability for $35-$40 extra. Buying a standalone external print server makes no sense.
Plus its often actually cheaper to upgrade to a networking model than to buy a print server (when it comes to normal retail costs, anway). Also, many printers (especially multifunctions, and ESPECIALLY HPs) are nasty about not working right with a non-factory print server.

Bobobie

If you don't need color, then get a laser printer. You can get them cheap for under $100 now. They use toner instead of ink. The advantage of toner over ink cartridges is that they don't dry up after 3-4 months. It's more economical if you don't do a lot of printing.