Looking for external DVD Dual Layer Burner...suggestions?

tar_baby

Rush Limbaugh
Jul 25, 2005
Notre Dame, IN
so I'm looking for an external DVD burner for my brother...he wants a dual layer capable one where you can burn 8.5 gigs on the same disc

basically...to use dvd decrypter...then burn the ripped files to the dvd

anyways...any suggestions or experience with these...we are looking for something around or under 100 bucks

thanks

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I just bought a pair of LG internal dual-layer DVD burners from Newegg. I bought a GSA-H54L which does Lightscribe, and a GSA-H55N which is basically the same drive but no Lightscribe.

Here's an LG External on Newegg for $65.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136112

Also, you can buy an internal drive and put it in an external chassis. There are lots of options.

jsc315

AnalCunt
Dec 8, 2004
Evergreen Park,IL
newegg is a great place to go. about a year ago i bought a lite on external dual layer dvd burner for about $45 there. Lite on is a cheap but reliable dvd burners. they are not the quietest, but you do pay for what you get, and to be honest it isnt that loud.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
That's kinda how I feel about LG. They're good, solid performers and are considerably less expensive than a Sony, Plextor, or a Pioneer.

tar_baby

Rush Limbaugh
Jul 25, 2005
Notre Dame, IN
ok sometimes using dvd decrypter to just back up my dvds so if anything happens to them i have a backup....sometimes it cant rip the whole movie...are there any other programs that work as well and as user friendly as dvd decrypter?

thanks guys

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I have a LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H that has never worked right. does not open by itself without a little help. Does lightscribe ok.
I also have a pioneer,DVD-RW DVR-112D, works great but no lightscribe

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
ok sometimes using dvd decrypter to just back up my dvds so if anything happens to them i have a backup....sometimes it cant rip the whole movie...are there any other programs that work as well and as user friendly as dvd decrypter?

thanks guys
I use RipIt4Me which automatically employs DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink as-needed (you have to have both of them installed).

Nothing Sound

Riding the Biggest Wave
Dec 9, 2004
Next to aleash
I use RipIt4Me which automatically employs DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink as-needed (you have to have both of them installed).
I've been using RipIt4Me for a while now.
If I'm not mistaken you also have to have FixVTS installed as well.
You know, for those "hard to burn" DVD's.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I don't know this FixVTS. I don't know what it does...

Seriously, I gotta check on that.

Nothing Sound

Riding the Biggest Wave
Dec 9, 2004
Next to aleash
I don't know this FixVTS. I don't know what it does...
Seriously, I gotta check on that.
I remember that when I installed RipIt4Me it asked to be pointed to the directory where
FixVTS was installed. I already had FixVTS so I just pointed like it asked. I know that
when I rip using the RipIt4Me it definitely opens up the FixVTS program during the ripping process.

tar_baby

Rush Limbaugh
Jul 25, 2005
Notre Dame, IN
so....besides sonic...what programs are there to burn the ripped material so i can backup my movies

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

thanks guys
I've used DVDxCopy Platinum for years. A couple of years ago they went out of business because of all the litigation brought on by the major studios so you can't buy the product directly from them but some people are still selling the boxes on the internet.

The software's great because it can take a dual-layer DVD and compress it to fit on just a 4.7 gig disc. It also supports Dual-Layer uncompressed burning as well. It is by far the easiest program I've ever used.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:321%20Studios%20DVD%20X%20Copy%20Platinum%20Software:1991395713:page=compare;_ylt=AmeUQykK4WgfBB4vWoqyt5ZPbssE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2bTQ0OXZjBHNlYwNzcg--#compare_grid