Lost Driver's License (NY) - What's the worst that can happen?

J D

Staten Island Sucks
Jun 18, 2000
Staten Island
I dropped my wallet somewhere and I know someone picked it up and isn't planning on returning it. Instead of being a good samaritan and returning it to me, they used a credit card and bought stuff at a 7-11. I called up and canceled all the CCs, but I'm kinda worried that they have my driver's license. I know that I can get a duplicate license at the DMV, but should I be worried about identity theft or what not? Any way that I can get a new license number?
Think I need to get some guns in case this person decides to visit my house now that they know where I live.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#licenselost

If your driver license or your learner permit was lost or stolen because of a crime:

Get form MV-78B from a police agency. This form is available only from police agencies, not from the DMV.

Make a photocopy of the form for your records. Complete form MV-44. Bring form MV-44 and the original form MV-78B to a DMV office. Show your proof of identity. There is no fee to replace your driver license or your learner permit if the MV-78B shows that the document was stolen. Note: You cannot use form MV-78B to replace a non-driver photo ID card for no fee.
I'd be doing this first thing in the morning. Screw going to work or anywhere else.

J D

Staten Island Sucks
Jun 18, 2000
Staten Island
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#licenselost

If your driver license or your learner permit was lost or stolen because of a crime:

Get form MV-78B from a police agency. This form is available only from police agencies, not from the DMV.

Make a photocopy of the form for your records. Complete form MV-44. Bring form MV-44 and the original form MV-78B to a DMV office. Show your proof of identity. There is no fee to replace your driver license or your learner permit if the MV-78B shows that the document was stolen. Note: You cannot use form MV-78B to replace a non-driver photo ID card for no fee.
oh, hm, but it wasn't because of a crime or anything; should i still do all that anyway?

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I might be reading it wrong, but I took it to mean that if you lost your license or if it was stolen you should report it to the police. Worst thing that happens is you go to the precinct in the morning and they tell you that the form is unnecessary and to just go to DMV.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
Whoever has it will probably end up selling it to some teen to use as a "fake" id.