Lug nut problem

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
Ok, I have a Volvo S80 and I'm trying to put my snow tires on but once again I can't get the lug nuts off. They are the kind that screw into the hub instead of the regular open nut. They always refuse to come off. I tried a four way and used a 6 foot pipe section for leverage and it began to bend the four way. I'm afraid I'm going to snap the nut.

My question is would anti seize work when I put them back on and would a home air compressor do any good and if so how big of one would I need. I don't want to get an industrial size one that stands 6 feet tall but a small one with about 115 psi did nothing.

Getting sick of having to take the dam car to a garage and leave it there all day just to have the tires changed.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
1) Go buy a can of Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster (better than Liquid Wrench) and soak them good.

2) Install anti-seize on the wheelstuds when you put the lugnuts back on.

As far as the compressor goes, I am sure someone else will chime in.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I agree. Realistically, I see no reason to buy anything but a Toyota or a Honda at this point.

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
Thanks, it just pisses me off since I figured I'd order snow tires on rims (tire rack- great deals).so I can do a quick exchange and I can never get them off.

Couldn't believe it would come off with a six foot extension on the four way. Never saw one of them bend like that before.

The car is great. Put snow tires on it and it's unstoppable. It weighs so god dam much, it's like a tank in the snow.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
hmmm. i agree with sinn, PB blast them and let them soak all day, they might be froze to the wheel not the hub. i fucking HATE wheel bolts instead of the nuts for the life of me i will never figure that one out, another thing that you should do is neverseize the back of the wheels they love to "rust" to the hubs as for an air compressor make sure the pressure is cranked all the way up and the setting on the impact gun is set to max, also you might want to spray a little pb into the air inlet on the gun while your at it, a rusty gun will not have the power of a well lubed one

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Torch it and buy a Jap car. :action-sm
Or move out west young man. :action-sm

Did you try the Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster yet? How about taking the car to where you bought the snow tires and have them loosen them up for you. I don't if you have Auto Zone's out there, but they have a free tool loaner program as long as you leave your driver's license. I'd use a dedicated "hardened" tire iron instead of the four way.

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
Always fuck with those type of lugs in the cool weather or after the car cools down. My VW and Mercedes is the same.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
The 1st time I saw lugs like that I thought it was a fucking joke. And it was on a very nice car too where as my shitty Ford just had lugs that come off and go back on easily.

You may want to heat it up if it becomes a real problem, if one snaps inside there you're fucked.

But yea, Anti Seize is A MUST for shit like that.

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
I guess I'm going to have to go to a shop tomorrow. I can't heat up the lugs since they are basically inside the rims which are alunimun?(can't spell) and I don't want to damage them. I tried to heat them up by heating up the brakes. I went for a ride for about an hour on this winding road where I would speed up and have to heavy brake around a turn. I figured it would heat up the whole tire.
Before that, I sprayed it with WD40 since I didn't have any liquid wrench.
came back home and the wheels were hot to the touch due to the braking but nothing. Had to stop because with the six foot extension pipe was not loosening them, and I really thought it was going to snap the lug.
Oh well back to the Redskin game and my Becks.

Thanks a lot guys, you always come through. Hope everyone has a good new year and if I can ever help you guys out let me know. I do Divorce Law!

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
Always fuck with those type of lugs in the cool weather or after the car cools down. My VW and Mercedes is the same.
So I did the opposite and should have waited til they cooled? I always heated up metal when I could get it loose. But know I'm thinking that if metal expands when heated, I'm making it tighter. Right?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
And it was on a very nice car too where as my shitty Ford just had lugs that come off and go back on easily.
Volvo S80 is basically a Ford Five Hundred/Taurus anyway.

And I'd NEVER use an airgun to tighten or loosen lugs after doing so and having the wheel on the van I was driving come right off the fucking vehicle at 70 mph on I-81 in Virginia. Nothing like hearing a noise, then feeling a vibration and pulling over to the side of the road, then watching the wheel continue down the road and into the median strip.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
So I did the opposite and should have waited til they cooled? I always heated up metal when I could get it loose. But know I'm thinking that if metal expands when heated, I'm making it tighter. Right?
yeah
if they were regular lug nuts
in theory heating them up and not the stud
would be right
soak em like the guys said
multiple times as needed
sometimes tightening them a little
will help break a nut or bolt loose

and make sure you're turning in the right direction

when all else fails
take it to the shop
if they break one/or more
they'll be better prepared to deal with it than you

you got that lawyer money , right

Feb 3, 2006
Pennsylvania
yeah
if they were regular lug nuts
in theory heating them up and not the stud
would be right
soak em like the guys said
multiple times as needed
sometimes tightening them a little
will help break a nut or bolt loose

and make sure you're turning in the right direction

when all else fails
take it to the shop
if they break one/or more
they'll be better prepared to deal with it than you

you got that lawyer money , right

No, I got a wife!

Bigtchrist

Mar 1, 2007
Nothern Cal
Aluminium heats up faster than steel.. it also disapate heat faster than steel...