M*A*S*H Col. Potter dead at 96

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Harry Morgan Dies at 96

By Mike Fleeman
Update Wednesday December 07, 2011 02:30 PM EST Originally posted Wednesday December 07, 2011 02:30 PM EST
Harry Morgan as Colonel Sherman T. Potter
CBS Photo Archive/Getty

Harry Morgan, who played Col. Sherman Potter on TV's M*A*S*H and Jack Webb's detective partner in Dragnet, died Wednesday at age 96.

The actor died in his home in Los Angeles after suffering from pneumonia, his daughter-in-law Beth Morgan tells the Associated Press.

"He was side-splittingly funny, a very gentle and loving father-in-law," Beth Morgan said. "He was very humble about having such a successful career."

The Detroit-born Morgan became interested in acting while taking public speaking courses at the University of Chicago. Local theater stints led to a Broadway production of Golden Boy with Karl Malden and Lee J. Cobb.

After appearing in dramatic films The Ox Box Incident and High Noon, he began a television career in December Bride and Dragnet, before appearing in his Emmy-winning role in M*A*S*H.
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20551788,00.html?hpt=hp_t2

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
I figured he died a long time ago.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I was the same way. I figure if I see a guy in a show from the 70s with gray hair he's a goner.

I guess Colonel Potter really was a bad ass.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
His real name was Henry Morgan, but that was already taken by someone who was much more interesting.

In fact, here's David Letterman taking a shit on him:

[video=youtube;nFnXeJ0hpCM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFnXeJ0hpCM[/video]

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I still say he and BJ were much worse characters than Blake and Trapper. I hated Potter and Hunnicut. Stupid dogooders.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I liked Trapper better than BJ, but Blake was a ridiculous character. Far preferred Potter.

Aug 12, 2005
PA
RIP Mr. Morgan.

Mash is still one of my all time favorite shows.

Gladys kravitz

Dec 2, 2006
Illinois
SHERMAN T POTTER, guess God needed a wife beater..... Loved M*A*S*H. Frank Burns eats worms.

Dec 2, 2005
Missouri Valley, Ia
I liked when he played Gen. Steele for one episode about the time Henry was leaving the unit. He was a bat shit crazy guy who in the last scene demanded that the chopper pilot tell the court martial what happened.

Steele: Now, you're not in trouble, you only following the orders of an officer. In your own words, tell us what happened......but first....a number.

Chopper pilot guy:........a number, sir?

Steele: A number. C'mon boy, it's in your blood. When the sun goes down and the tide goes out, all the darkies gather and they begin to shout, hey hey uncle fudd, beat your beat your beat feet on the mississippi mud........

Fuckin laugh until I cry watching that.

I have no idea how to embed a you tube video.

TJLamb0518

Jumping That Shark....
Nov 8, 2002
East Islip, NY
I liked when he played Gen. Steele for one episode about the time Henry was leaving the unit. He was a bat shit crazy guy who in the last scene demanded that the chopper pilot tell the court martial what happened.

Steele: Now, you're not in trouble, you only following the orders of an officer. In your own words, tell us what happened......but first....a number.

Chopper pilot guy:........a number, sir?

Steele: A number. C'mon boy, it's in your blood. When the sun goes down and the tide goes out, all the darkies gather and they begin to shout, hey hey uncle fudd, beat your beat your beat feet on the mississippi mud........

Fuckin laugh until I cry watching that.

I have no idea how to embed a you tube video.

That one appearance totally trumps all his years as Potter.

DJ Evel Ed

MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt
Nov 30, 2003
Up your ass!
Wow I forgot he was still alive. He was in so many westerns I've watched over the years. He played tough guys and wimps equally well.

Ernest Borgnine is next. He's like 100 years old too.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
His real name was Henry Morgan, but that was already taken by someone who was much more interesting.

In fact, here's David Letterman taking a shit on him:

[video=youtube;nFnXeJ0hpCM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFnXeJ0hpCM[/video]
So what happened?