M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening" Trailer

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
But what's the buzz? Tell me. Why should you want to know? Don't you mind about the future. Save tomorrow for tomorrow, think about today instead. When do we ride into Philadelphia?

I might be wrong but I think thekidslepthere said he read the script and said it was the most retarded thing MNS ever wrote.

http://wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=65026&highlight=shyamalan

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
Marky Mark is dead the whole time.

Perch1019

Oct 4, 2004
White Plains, NY
Why does everything this creep makes get so much buzz? He hasnt made a good movie since the Sixth Sense.

Im willing to be he also puts himself somewhere into the movie too.

Holy shit, read the other thread. There is no way this could have been made into a movie.
Finally towards the end Mark, his wife, and their friends kid, wind up in the middle of nowhere at this very religious woman's house. Everything seems perfect. But then we find out the religous lady isn't happy and the plants get her. The only way to survive is by being positive! If you love the plants they'll love you.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Why does everything this creep makes get so much buzz?
I'm not sensing much buzz. On the bright side after Lady in the Water, the buzz is going to be how badly he's going to shit the bed again.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Why does everything this creep makes get so much buzz? He hasnt made a good movie since the Sixth Sense. .....
QFT!

For some reason, as I watched the trailer, I was thinking of Stephen King's book, Cell. The initial scenes are very similar to what happened in the book.

I gave up on Shyamalan after The Village, UGH! Based on the spoiler, this doesn't seem any better. I hate it how you can cut together a bunch of scenes, making it look great but the final scene is a bust.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
QFT!

For some reason, as I watched the trailer, I was thinking of Stephen King's book, Cell. The initial scenes are very similar to what happened in the book.

I gave up on Shyamalan after The Village, UGH! Based on the spoiler, this doesn't seem any better. I hate it how you can cut together a bunch of scenes, making it look great but the final scene is a bust.

I was thinking of Cell too.

Perch1019

Oct 4, 2004
White Plains, NY
QFT!

Someone ruined the surprise for The Village so I didnt even bother with it. I thought Unbreakable was boring and then Signs was so bad I said to hell with him. Water kills the Aliens? Seriously?

Budyzir

Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
.... Signs was so bad I said to hell with him. Water kills the Aliens? Seriously?
I'm guessing he is taking common themes and trying to reinvent them. Signs = War of the Worlds without the germs.

He is getting hack.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I'm guessing he is taking common themes and trying to reinvent them. Signs = War of the Worlds without the germs.

He is getting hack.
signs = the birds with aliens except not as creepy or awesome. The scene where they're in the house and the only thing you hear is just the deafening squawking of birds is unsettling. And the end with all the birds just watching them, chills.

Nov 7, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
I think it looks good as well. I agree with some others on her that says this reminds them of Stephen King's book "The Cell".

I will see it.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I think Unbreakable was his best movie. Someone ruined The Sixth Sense for me before I saw it so when I finally did watch it, it put me to sleep.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
Dec 12, 2001
NY
Yeah, I really liked Unbreakable. Haven't seen it in a long time, I'm gonna have to check that out again.

Budyzir

Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
I guess I might catch it on DVD or pay per view.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Friday bump

Thekidslepthere's thoughts on the script

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

I just read "The Happening" even though the draft I read was called "The Green Effect" but it should really be called "When Plants Attack".

Basically all the plants in the world get crazy on us and start spewing out pollen that makes humans go crazy and start killing each other. The lead who will be played by Mark Wahlberg is a struggling rocker from Philly, of course, who pays the bills by teaching high school science. Of course he is the one to figure our the protocol for what is going on. They hike (yes Mark Wahlberg brings his guitar) around southern Jersey and rural areas of Pennsylvania while trying to avoid plants!

There's some cool death scenes, but that's about it.

Thanks.

I didn't even do it justice. There are so many cliches. It's based on some article the Mark Wahlberg character talks about where there was a huge population of some kind of ants near the Nile. The plants put out the pollen and killed over 99% of these ants.

It's not just like the pollen is spewing out and killing people and a certain percentage will survive. I might of accepted that.

Get this the plants start learning WHO to kill. At first it's all over major cities, then spreads to smaller towns. Then it gets to the point where if you're in a group larger than 10 you're in danger. Then Wahlberg finds these white trash kids whose parents got killed and they take them on the journey. These white trash kids at one point start burning plants in a field, and of course the plants get them.

Finally towards the end Mark, his wife, and their friends kid, wind up in the middle of nowhere at this very religious woman's house. Everything seems perfect. But then we find out the religous lady isn't happy and the plants get her. The only way to survive is by being positive! If you love the plants they'll love you.

I am not making this up, the thing slams all kinds of technology and basically the idea of believing in God. I guess we should just worship mother nature. I think Al Gore will love it.

The single from the soundtrack (which is pretty cool)
[yt]dLFAyw-5Rp8[/yt]

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
Mar 11, 2006
Facing a monitor.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
I liked Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs…

The Village wasn’t a bad idea, but it was done so poorly that even the concept ends up seeming lame. I think if other writers assisted him on that script there was potential there for a good movie. But as it is it’s a really bad movie.

The Lady in the Water was ill conceived in many areas. First off, he tried to “think out of the box” and create a children’s fable in theme but yet would be marketed towards adults by using adult elements of suspense and characterization. Kind of a tribute to the original versions of fairy tales which in today’s standards were fairly intense for children. But people either didn’t get the concept or didn’t buy into it. And once again, the writing was poor. (Also, while taking an overt shot at movie critics may have been self-satisfying it came off as hack in the movie.)

I still think M. Night has some good movies in him, he just needs to develop the ideas better and maybe bring in other writers to work with him on his projects. But I’m probably giving him more leeway than most people do as after hearing him interviewed several times he seems like a genuinely good guy and I tend to root for him because of that. But he desperately needs The Happening to be a hit.