OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Mac/PC Notebook. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by MetalSign, Aug 8, 2007.

1. MetalSign

MetalSign O&A Curmudgeon

I may be buying a new notebook soon and I'd like to know what the big difference is between a Mac and a PC. It would be between a Sony Vaio CR series (starts at 1369.99)

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665157958

or the 13" Mac Book (starts at 1299)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=MacBook

I don't care about itunes, I don't edit video or audio. I'm not storing a bunch of files, so I don't care about how large the HDD is. I'm much more familiar with Windows, not really looking forward to Vista though. I may use it for gaming in the future, so which one would be better for games?

Any ideas? I know there's alot of "I'm buying a laptop, which one?" threads, but I'm more looking for a real debate on the pros/cons between Mac and PC. Everyone I work with works with audio or video or loves their Itunes, so they all stand by Mac, but I don't really like Mac as much.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand go!

2. notmikeh

notmikeh don't get any cucks on your wee

mac's suck

3. notmikeh

pc's suck. hope that clears some stuff up for you

4. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

Get the Mac, it sounds like you are just going to use it for web surfing and email. OS X is much better and easier for doing these things and you can use bootcamp to run windows for gaming.

5. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

Macs suck, and the sonys suck even harder. Overpriced, prone to failure pieces of shit. Sony made the faulty batteries that caused all those recalls the past few years.

6. LAX

LAX [you]

Mac!!!!

7. MetalSign

MetalSign O&A Curmudgeon

What would you suggest then? I will not buy a Dell or HP. Gateway is garbage. I don't know where else to turn. Is Toshiba any good for laptops? I know Alienware sold out recently, but are they still any good?

I knew I was going to get this. Do you know of the real differences or is this /sarcasm?

Pretty much websurfing/email and gaming. I want something that will allow me to play stuff like Battlefield 2142 and other online games. Is the windows based gameplay on a Mac smooth?

8. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

When using bootcamp you are basically running windows directly on the hardware and runs just like any other windows comp, plus you can bring your own XP and stay away from Vista.No laptop is really going to do a very good job running games except for those huge desktop replacements like the alienware(dell) but those are high dollar.
    Compare the video cards/chipsets but they are pretty much the same hardware anymore, only the expansion ports and layout are different.

9. notmikeh

sorry man I have no clue about computers. I actually am considering the same thing. so really it was sarcasm. I think I would go with the Mac but I heard (not sure if it is true or not) that they aren't very good for gaming.

10. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

The Macbook rocks… EXCEPT the cases are cheap plastic and will eventually chip. My wife's Macbook is 6 months old and it's chipping along the edges. She has to send it back to get fixed/replaced (she got the $300 AppleCare plan).

11. pure_waves

pure_waves © Steven Carr Industries, 2014. Grrrrrrrr

i have an hp entertainment pc laptop, the dv9220 i think, and its great. heres a review. http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv9000t-core/4505-3121_7-32064897.html?tag=prod.txt.9

vista sucks tho. other than that ive been completely happy with it and the support. never cared for mac's personally. i use this for gaming, listening to xm online, surfing around, watchin dvds, downloading media, and the usual crap.

best thing is that when you get it of the hp.com store you can get amazing deals, hundreds off depending on how you configure it or the newer models which they almost certainly have by now.

12. zagman76

zagman76 Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
    Wackbag Staff

Based on these 2 things, I'd say go with the PC.

I know some mac-lovers will cry "parallels" - but that's just a mac-friendly term for VMWare (A Virtual Machine within your own PC, basically double over-head, and you can't take ful advantage of the hardware because it's being used by 2 (or more) OS's at the same time).

As far as Brand, I have always gone with HP, and have never had a problem with them.

Toshiba is also *decent* as is Acer.

I agree, Sonys are over-priced pieces of garbage, and Gateway hasn't been any good since 1994-96ish.

IBM is rock solid, but you're paying more for the name, and getting less.

If you're concerned with Vista, you are 100% within your rights to "Downgrade" to XP at no extra cost (according to MSFT's EULA), well, maybe like $6 for S&H of the media to you.

13. martianvirus

martianvirus READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!

14. martianvirus

FYI; you get more for less money with a pc. Just get PC-Cillin and you won't get a virus. I've never had one.

15. martianvirus

And one more thing, someday there may be a game or program that catches you eye. Odds are that it won't run on your mac. You could always load windows on it. But then is it really a mac? Id say no, it's just an expensive pc with fruit on it.

16. agentjmw

agentjmw Clayton Townly Businessman

After 15 years of PCs I went Mac. I will never go back to PCs. No more bullshit.
    Best money I ever spent. Try and find a person that bought Mac in the last 2 years and thought it was a turd. I have not found a single one.

17. thelord68

thelord68 There's always time for lubricant

Mac maybe fine for your needs and yes you can run Parallels.

If you go the PC route - go with the Toshiba. Better bang for the buck than the Sony (I've posted many times on my preference) and the seem to hold up better as well. I'm typing this on what is now a 4 year-old Toshiba P25 that has been upgraded, ram and hard drive, but otherwise has survived daily heavy use for that time.

Downgrade if you want to XP, though for general use Vista really isn't much different. You do need to do updates on it right out of the box though.

For antivirus, go with AVG Free and load Spybot Search & Destroy as well.

18. Warfarer

Warfarer I can't think of anything funny.

I am now on my second Mac laptop, I have a Powerbook G4 and a Macbook Pro and love them both. Neither one will be a reasonable gaming machine for you unless you get a dedicated video card.

The Macbook has a little faster processor than the Sony you linked but it has 1 gig of ram unless you bump up a bit.

If you choose the mac, I would certainly rather get a 15" Macbook Pro from the apple refurbished. you get the same warranty and can still buy Applecare for the same price to extend it 3 years. This would save you about 500 bucks or so and give you a dedicated video card so you have a chance to play games on it.

There is a new Parallels 3.0 that apparently now adds 3d support so you might not have to do bootcamp to play some games. EA has signed on to release games on Mac now at the same time as on PC now due to some new coding or something, I don't know much about the developing thing... A few other companies are in talks of joining EA though so gaming on the new Macs might actually half way catch up or at least give some reasonable options.

Hope this helps.

19. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

You can get som killer deals on HP dual-core laptops, either Intel or AMD. I'm talking 2GB RAM, 200GB of HD space, dual-layer DVD/RW, 17" WXGA all for about $1000. Shop around.

I've always had great luck with HP.

Here's the laptop my sister got 2 weeks ago. I haven't found a better deal yet.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-P...85624/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

At the time, they had a deal where you got a notebook case, a wireless G router, a Lexmark all-in-one, and the full version of CA Internet Security. All this stuff was free after rebate if you bought any notebook.

20. MetalSign

MetalSign O&A Curmudgeon

21. Warfarer

Warfarer I can't think of anything funny.

everyone has companies that they think are shit, I personally have had nothing but bad experience with Linksys stuff and I have never met another person who hated them.

I know several people with HP and most of them like them. Toshiba would be the only PC laptop I would own anymore though. Sony charges for the sony style, gateway and dell stink for service and products. IBM charges too much for their name, or at least they used to.

22. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

It certainly is a kickass deal. I just saw a commercial. They are still doing the bundle of free stuff you get after rebate (case, router, lexmark all-in-one, and antivirus package).

Here's how I see it. Every manufacturer makes low-end dogshit systems, good midrange systems, and high-end killer systems. HP seems to be the most price-compettive in the midrange department. I'm typing on an HP desktop PC that's almost 5 years old, but I've upgraded the hell out of it (CPU, RAM, video card, and replaced hard drive). My work laptop is an HP business laptop and it kicks ass (2.0 GHZ Core Duo, 2GB RAM, fingerprint reader, etc).

23. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

If you're not familiar with Macs, I wouldn't start now unless you have a few weeks to get used to a completely different way of doing things.

24. martianvirus

Hi mister, I've had bad experienes with Linksys. I hate them. Now you have met someone. I will only use D-Link. Had nothing but good from them.

25. thelord68

thelord68 There's always time for lubricant

Cisco is killing off the Linksys name soon.