Oct 4, 2004
Wilmington, DE
anyone watching Mad Men on AMC
great show
luv the look back at how fucked up things were then
kid climbing over the seats with out a seat belt
kid has drycleaning bag over her head, mom doesnt care
pregnant lady is smoking and drinking
the ad men harrass and the secretaries and drink scotch and smoke in the office - well those were the good ol days
great show

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
Ive been watching but I honestly dont see what all of the hype is about. Yes, its a good show, but everywhere I look critics and fans alike are jerking off over it. I like the show but Im certainly not in love with it.

Also, do the characters have to be lighting up in just about every fucking scene ??

We get it, they loved smoking back then and didnt really know the consequences....

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
i watch it and think the show is good. it does give a good perspective into a different way of life and look we survived.

mind, i was thinking the same thing about the smoking. first did everyone smoke back then cuz no one in my family did. this show has the biggest group of chain smokers going.

oh and gotta love the kid walking in on the woman peeing and refusing to leave

jack torrance

I have Nothing better to do...
Jan 27, 2005
NJ
anyone watching Mad Men on AMC
great show
luv the look back at how fucked up things were then
kid climbing over the seats with out a seat belt
kid has drycleaning bag over her head, mom doesnt care
pregnant lady is smoking and drinking
the ad men harrass and the secretaries and drink scotch and smoke in the office - well those were the good ol days
great show
pretty good show. love the idiot kid with the plastic bag over her head. :haha7:

"Smoke a Lucky! It's Toasted"

frink

starvin'
Jun 7, 2006
HO-broken
I'm lovin this show, for some reason when I watch it I could picture R&F really into it, well at least Ron...and yes every time someone lights up all I can think of is Anthony, " It's the Fohties!! Enjoy your Luckies! "

Swede Boy

Nov 25, 2004
really enjoying it too, heard from the lead actors interview that they're gonna have some war flashbacks soon. The show has alot of the sopranos feel with not a little disjointed plots, so far atleast, but some great characters.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
Its been getting better now that theyre dipping into Draper's personal life.

I still havent watched last week's episode yet but I have it DVRed and hopefully will get to watch it in the next day or so.

Wilmington WOW

The Emmitt Till of Wackbag
Oct 4, 2004
Wilmington, DE
the show is still very good
luv how they are making fun of the fat girl

and draper's wife is a piece of ass

"I'm not here to tell you about Jesus
You already know about Jesus
He either lives in your heart, or he doesnt.........."

great scene when he rips the lipstick president for not getting his campaign

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
Its been getting better now that theyre dipping into Draper's personal life.
Completely agree...and the plotlines are finally getting a bit deeper. Amazing how much we've changed in a relatively short amount of time, eh? On a related note, I read an article about how hard it was for the set people to find Selectric typewriters and push-button multi-line rotary phones.

Every time one of them asks "for a private line" I always hear it in oldern-times Ant voice.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
Anyone know why they threw in a repeat all of a sudden last week ? Why kill the momentum when there are only like three episodes to go ?

HateMyName

Functioning Psychotic
Oct 15, 2004
DC suburbs
(sorry, late to the thread) It's a very entertaining show. I wasn't around in 1960, it's interesting to see how things worked back then. Little things, like the all the smoking and the dysfunctional kids playing house ("I like sleeping on the couch") And Sal, the guy so obviously gay but people didn't notice these things back then.

Will Sterling survive his heart attack? How long until Joan's roommate tries getting her drunk and turn her into a lesbian?

HateMyName

Functioning Psychotic
Oct 15, 2004
DC suburbs
Dick Whitman = Armin Tanzarian
Television Without Pity said something simliar.
I was hoping Cooper would't care about the Draper/Whitman thing, and "Mr. Cooper, who cares?" was brilliant. It's nice to see a good employee valued, even if it is fiction.
Meanwhile some drunken office ass stole stuff, and the black guys (aka the janitor and the elevator operator) that weren't even working that night got fired.

Another of the best scenes so far:
Little boy running in the house knocks something over. One man (not his father) grabs him and slaps him. Another guy (also not the boy's father) says not to be so hard on the kid. Then he tells the kid "Go get you mother to clean this up."

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Is this the shoe depicting the 60's workplace?
I am still those guys stop teasing me.

broads need to shut up and listen to their man.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
One of the things I really liked about this episode was how they focused more on the supporting players for the first half of the episode. Thought that was a nice change of pace and Id like to see more of that next season.

Anyway, sucks that tomorrow night is the finale, but its commercial free so that's definitely a plus.

HateMyName

Functioning Psychotic
Oct 15, 2004
DC suburbs
I thought the season ended pretty well, and a second season is definate.

However, all the drama was lost when Betty's friend came over all upset. She was calling herself stupid and Betty said "Francine you're not stupid." Which, if you think of Francine on Opie and Anthony, is really kind of hilarious.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
Yea, even if Betty had solid proof that Don cheats she would never have the balls to confront him on it, except in her own passive aggresive way.

Anyway, I liked the finale, although the Peggy pregnancy was kind of out of left field. Obviously that explains why she'd gotten so fat, but how did she not realize she was pregnant ? I thought that was strictly the province of prom queens and black teenage girls ?

Wilmington WOW

Oct 4, 2004
Wilmington, DE
Mad Men makes history with Emmy nomination success
Mad Men received 16 nominations

Veronica Schmidt
The smoking, drinking and sexism of Mad Men has made Emmy Award history after bagging 16 nominations and securing a shot at the prestigious Outstanding Drama Series gong.

The critically acclaimed show, set in a 1960s advertising agency, and Damages, an American legal drama, are the first basic-cable programmes ever to be nominated for the best series award.

The nods mark a turning point for the 60-year-old Primetime Emmys, which have only ever awarded the Outstanding Drama Series gong to free-to-air American shows and those from the fee-charging, premium cable network HBO.

HBO failed to secure a nomination for this year’s prize, with House, Dexter and Boston Legal making up the competition for Mad Men and Damages.

Related Links
Mad Men is fine US drama
Mad Men and the lure of 1960
When men ruled
But HBO, which made the hit series The Sopranos, Sex And The City and Six Feet Under, still produced the most nominated show, with John Adams, a programme about the American founding fathers, collecting an impressive 23 nominations.

The network’s much-lauded, soon-to-finish show The Wire failed in its last attempt to secure a nomination. Despite critical acclaim in the six years since it launched, the programme, about police and drug dealers in Baltimore, has never made the Emmys cut.

The comedy nods were dominated by 30 Rock, which received 17 nominations. The show will compete for Outstanding Comedy Series with Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Two And A Half Men and the US remake of Ricky Gervais’s hit The Office.

British hopes rest on Ralph Fiennes and Gervais who both received nods for Best Actor in A Miniseries or A Movie. Fiennes’s nomination was earned for his turn in Bernard and Doris, while Gervais received his nod for Extras: The Extra Special Series Finale. Dame Judi Dench was nominated for Best Actress in a Miniseries or A Movie for the critical hit Cranford, but is up against Hollywood players Laura Linney and Susan Saradon for the prize.

Contenders for the Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series are Boston Legal’s James Spader, Breaking Bad’s Bryan Cranston, Dexter’s Michael C. Hall, House’s Hugh Laurie, In Treatement’s Gabriel Byrne and Mad Men’s John Hamm.

Actresses plumping for the equivalent award are Sally Field for Brothers and Sisters, Glenn Close for Damages, Kyra Sedgwick for The Closer, Mariska Hargitay for Law & Order and Holly Hunter for Saving Grace.

The winners will be announced on September 21 in Los Angeles.
nice

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
Marathon on Sunday if anyone wants to catch it.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
It'll probably win for Best Drama. Even if it doesnt, though, theyve gotta be loving this. Perfect kind of promotion for the show, especially ten days before the new season kicks off.

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
Thought it was a pretty good premiere. Seems like its setting up the ground work nicely for the season.

I wonder who Don was mailing that package to at the end there ?

Wilmington WOW

Oct 4, 2004
Wilmington, DE
yeah this episode is just to set up the season
I bet it went to the jewish department store girl

I am on a chat with the creator now on AMCTV.com

Mindslayer

Best in the Biz
May 4, 2006
Staten Island, NY
Oh yea, forgot about her. I was thinking that maybe it was that hippy chick he was fucking last season, but the Jewish girl makes more sense.

Oh a slightly different note, Im really pissed that its not offered in HD where I live.