OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Made my own Red Sauce for the first time

Discussion in 'Wackbag's Mean Cusine' started by AlanSmithee, Dec 11, 2012.

1. AlanSmithee

AlanSmithee Registered User

It was a big hit amongst the family and it cost less 2 bucks to make. 1000x better then any supermarket jar sauce.

A little Minced Garlic
    1/4 cup of of Olive Oil
    1 Can of Crush Tomato's
    1 Can of Diced Tomato's
    A litle Oregano
    A little salt
    A little Basil

Damn good and took only 30 mins total to make. (5 mins from prep time)

2. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

A bit of gabbagool....

Neckbeard, Wrecktum and ruckstande like this.
  3. metallikat87

metallikat87 Well-Known Member
    It's My Birthday!

I have always called this a 5-minute sauce. Great for a quick pizza or simple pasta dinner
    I also use it for what i call chicken parmigiana, pasta, friend chicken breast/thigh/whatever, douse in red sauce. Good fast dinner

Neckbeard likes this.
  4. Dicktator

Dicktator Frozen Meatbals 4life

Try a small amount of sugar next time.

Hudson likes this.
  5. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

It'm sure it made for a half-decent meal, but nobody should be bragging about a sauce recipe that involves a can opener.

Same goes for salsa recipes.

Neckbeard likes this.
  6. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

I make mine with meat..and usually enough that I freeze about half..I try to use 3 types of fresh tomatoes every time..but I do use some canned products in a pinch when I can't find some of the fresh stuff in the two markets here. Never use Hunts...that stuff is shitty.

7. mills

mills I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness

All of the jarred shit is heinous. Way to completely obliterate any taste of the tomato. I guess some focus groups have determined that if you pack a jar of sauce chock full of spices, the rubes in middle america will assume it must be from some awesome centuries-old family recipe.

Even sausage and any form of hamburger kills it with all the grease. Plain tomatoes (preferably fresh from the garden) and going easy on the spices brings out something most people have probably never even tasted.

I do want to one day take a shot at my ex'es mom's style: the stereotypical brooklyn italian godfather version with the pork and veal and maybe a few large meatballs and large sausage chunks. When my (kraut) family members make meat sauce with the latter two it's usually crumbled, which spreads all the grease throughout everything and dominates it. And of course various recipes have to have a kick of this and a smashing of that. "I like ta add a little heat in my sauce" WHOA look out, we got a wild man here! Be careful when you eat at Uncle Jerry's house! It's not Texas chili, shitdick.

8. DR. Jimcy M.E.

Can of crushed tomatoes is better then fresh in my eyes. Never have to worry about them being in season, there already peeled of the skin and you can get them right from the cabinet.

My basic tomato sauce:
    a few gloves of garlic
    a can of san marzano tomatoes
    a few fresh leaves of basil
    1/4 olive oil
    salt and peper
    2 tbs butter

Fry the garlic and basil till you can smell it in the oil, add the tomatoes and then fill the can with water and dump that in to loosen the sauce

salt pepper and simmer 10-15 minutes till it thickens slightly and then add the butter, add al dente pasta to sauce and cook a few minutes till sauce is absorbed and serve with some fresh parmesan reggiano

9. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Came here to add this. I was surprised to not see sugar on the list in the first place.

10. Hudson

Donator

I drain the meat of excess..although some of drippings add flavor.

11. DR. Jimcy M.E.

I rather eat dirt then jarred sauce. It smells like chemical preservatives.

12. tysonpunchinguterus

tysonpunchinguterus "Allegedly"

I use a diced onion (vidalia or yellow), a clove of minced garlic, 2 28-ounce cans or tomato puree, 1 28-ounce can of petite diced tomatoes (or a 3rd can of puree if I can't find a big can of petite diced), salt, sugar, and some fresh basil from the garden (or dried basil if my basil has died in the cold months). I heat up the onion and garlic in some olive oil and then add the rest of the stuff and maybe a little tomato paste and a little water. I'll let it cook for a couple of hours if I have time and then freeze a couple freezer bags full and use the rest that night. I don't add meat until I'm actually making the meal so the meat is always fresh instad of being frozen after it's cooked.

13. Hudson

Donator

The jarred stuff makes a great laxative.

14. mills

mills I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness

Is there some freezer bag technology I'm not aware of or do you literally pour your sauce into plastic ziploc bags?

I usually just use like old cottage cheese and spreadable butter containers for freezer storage. They actually hold up better than tupperware.

15. SatansCheerledr

SatansCheerledr Ideologically Unsound

I use a little elbow grease when I make my own white sauce.

16. DR. Jimcy M.E.

It also degreases an engine block nicely.

17. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

Mines pretty much the same. Brown the garlic and onion in a bit of olive oil. Take it out. Add the tomatoe past and 3-4 paste cans of water. Then add the basil leaves and salt and whatever spices ya want to add. Throw in 2 cans of tomatoes.. crushed.

Then I put the meat in. A lot of people fry the meatballs before putting them.in the sauce. I add the meatballs directly to the sauce. Same with a sausage or 2.

And movie or not. The godfather had it right.. gotta have the pork. That's where the flavor is. It's on the pork. So I usually add 2 skinny pork chops or one thick one.

Jar shit, no matter how old and authentic the lady looks on the jar, or the celebrity, or the famous cooking person.. its all shit. Ketchup with little green things in it.

18. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

I'm making some right now...

19. AlanSmithee

AlanSmithee Registered User

I've tasted recipes with and without sugar and i've just personally preferred the ones without sugar.

20. tysonpunchinguterus

I literally use the Ziploc freezer bags that have the zipper seal. I let the sauce cool and then just pour it into the bags and lay them flat in the freezer. They're easier to store that way because I can stack a bunch of them on top of each other and then they usually defrost faster because it's flat instead of being a thick block in a plastic bowl.

21. samurai

samurai Ridiculum Anserini

Another trick is to freeze the sauce in ice cube trays, then put the nuggets in a ziplock. That way, you can use as much/little as you want.

Also, the double row smart-zip will keep your food much longer than the slide-zip. America's Test Kitchen actually did a test on it. (and I actually watched it) :rolleyes:

#21 samurai, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  22. DR. Jimcy M.E.

Saute onion or carrot with your garlic for extra sweetness. Don't need sugar.

23. blakesnake00

blakesnake00 The name is Snake.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO never ever put sugar in that simple quick sauce. That is a sauce thats about fresh taste, not real complex just nice quick and fresh. So please save the sugar for a long cook meaty rago ( not the jar kind ) . That is all.

24. DR. Jimcy M.E.

What cuts of meat do you guys use to make a good meat sauce? I would assume you would use a good shoulder or something with fat, bone and collagen for flavor.

25. tysonpunchinguterus

I just use 80/20 ground beef. The next time I make some I might take some sausage out of its casing and use that, too, but it'll have to be for jsut me since my girlfriend doesn't like it.