Man Brain-Dead Following Random Rampage by a person

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Witness: Suspect Vowed To Attack 'Next White Person Who Walks By'

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — It came out of nowhere.

A man allegedly went on a rampage in Union Square on Wednesday afternoon and left a complete stranger brain-dead in the process.

Police said that the attack may have been a hate crime.

Friends of Jeffrey Babbitt, 62, were shocked to hear about the random act of violence that left the gentle, retired train conductor in a coma, CBS 2′s Dave Carlin reported on Friday.

“I don’t believe that. I don’t know why that happened. He is very nice,” Igor Sapozhnikov said.

Babbitt was minding his own business as he walked through the crowd near the chess boards in Union Square when a man made a hateful announcement and began his rampage, witnesses said.

“He said ‘the next white person who walks by I’m going to [expletive],’” one woman said. “His fist went in and the man’s head bobbed and he hit the ground and you could hear his skull hitting the ground.”

The man continued his rampage before demanding to see police officers.

“He stood there and hit two more people and asked for the police to come,” Michael Benson said.

Stunned witnesses counted a total of three people attacked. The suspect, Lashawn Marten, 31, remained at the scene until police arrived.

Babbitt was on the ground with blood flowing from his head. Nearby were two other victims icing their faces.

Because of Marten’s alleged comments about targeting white people the incident could result in hate crime charges in addition to felony assault charges, according to Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

“Obviously our Hate Crimes Task Force is involved in aspects of that case,” Kelly said.

Witnesses said they were amazed at the brazen, public nature of the assault.

“This is such a crowded area. You’d expect it in a back alley, but there are so many people here. That’s the strange part,” Garrett Browning said.

Babbitt was taken to Bellevue Hospital. Family and friends said that he is in a coma and has been declared brain-dead.

His 92-year-old mother, Hedda, was by his side. She shared a Sheepshead Bay apartment with her son. He was her primary caregiver.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
“His fist went in and the man’s head bobbed and he hit the ground and you could hear his skull hitting the ground.”
Babbitt was taken to Bellevue Hospital. Family and friends said that he is in a coma and has been declared brain-dead.
Story is bullshit.

We all learned from Saint Trayvon that getting hit by fists in no way endangers a person or threatens their life and well-being.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Story is bullshit.

We all learned from Saint Trayvon that getting hit by fists in no way endangers a person or threatens their life and well-being.

The savage was standing his ground when whitey insulted him by walking near him.

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
Feb 10, 2010
And he'll be treated as a hero in prison by all the other under-evolved life forms

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
His 92-year-old mother, Hedda, was by his side. She shared a Sheepshead Bay apartment with her son.
Sounds like Babbitt came out ahead in this deal.

f kane

Known Traffic Menace
Feb 10, 2010
I'M OUTRAGED BY THIS! I MEAN HE DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO MAKE A RUN FOR IT!

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Come on now. We know black people can't be racist, or be guilty of hate crimes. That shit's strictly whitey.

HandPanzer

Vergangenheitsbewältigung
May 30, 2013
Here's the story with pictures.

'I'm going to knock out the next white person who walks by': Chilling words of man before he punched 62-year-old stranger to the ground in racist attack that has left victim brain dead

A 31-year-old African American who allegedly said he wanted to attack the next white person who walked by could be charged with hate crimes after punching three people in an apparent racially motivated attack.

One of his victims, 62-year-old Jeffrey Babbitt, has been left brain damaged after being punched to the ground in New York's Union Square on Wednesday afternoon, in a senseless attack that shocked onlookers.

Witnesses were shocked at the unexpected violence in Union Square on Wednesday afternoon, as Lashawn Marten punched Mr Babbitt and two other men after allegedly making racist comments.

Scroll down for video

Attacked: Three people were punched in New York by a man who allegedly said he would attack the next white person to walk by

Arrest: Lashawn Marten, seen handcuffed in Union Square, could be charged with a hate crime

ABC Local: 'The guy got agitated for some reason or another and he said, "The next white person that bumps into me without saying excuse me, I'm going to knock him out".'

Victim: Jeffrey Babbitt is in a coma and likely to die, according to the assistant district attorney

After his racist rant and attack, witnesses said Marten stayed at the park and waited for police to arrive.

Mr Babbitt, the sole carer of his 92-year-old mother Hedda, has been in a coma since being knocked to the ground, and is believed to be brain dead, according to CBS New York.

'The prognosis is not good and it does appear that the victim will likely die,' Manhattan Assistant District Attorney John Temple said at Marten’s arraignment on Thursday.

Mrs Babbitt, who the retired train conductor shared a Brooklyn apartment with, has been at his hospital's bedside since Wednesday.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Marten's alleged comments about targeting white people before allegedly punching Mr Babbitt could lead to hate crime charges being made against him.

'Our Hate Crimes Task Force is involved in aspects of that case,' he added.

Marten, who has a previous criminal record and uses various aliases, was arraigned Thursday and charged with assault.

He is being held on a $1 million bond as police decide whether to also charge him with a hate crime.

Unexpected: The attack happened on Wednesday afternoon, near the chess tables in New York's Union Square

Hate crime: Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says detectives are investigating whether the attack was racially motivated

Two other white men, aged 48 and 18, suffered minor injuries after being allegedly attacked by Marten as they tried to help Mr Babbitt who was laying on the ground.

Footage of the aftermath of the assault shows the victim on the ground, with blood pouring from his head.

James Hall-Collins, who filmed it, told NBC 4 the attack appeared to be random. 'It was for no apparent reason. He just walked up and hit him,' Mr Hall-Collins said.

Are we allowed to notice this yet?

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Where's the ****** apologists screaming about how tough blacks are when they fight without weapons¿ Yep, real tough, fuckin cuckolds. They are the main reason why ******s feel free to do this shit.[/i]

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
$5 says he was a junky who didnt get his methadone. Union square has some reeeally sketchy sections for a smaller sized park.

5 years for the attack that lead to victims death.
2 years for the two other assaults.
No mention of a hate crime from the Hate Crime Division of the NYPD.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
He is being held on a $1 million bond as police decide whether to also charge him with a hate crime.

- Amazed he wasn't let out ROR...

Wondered what the bond would be if a white guy started yelling I hate blacks and removed a hat of some elderly black gentleman...