Man finds out who is stealing his pro-gun signs

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Fed-Up NY Man Sets Up Hidden Camera to Find Out Who Was Repeatedly Stealing His Pro-Gun Sign – What He Discovered Blew Him Away
Sep. 23, 2013 11:03pm Jason Howerton

Related:
A man in Somers, N.Y., hatched a plan to catch the individual responsible for allegedly stealing his pro-gun signs repeatedly from his front yard. He bought a trail cam, set it up near the sign — and then waited.

When he learned that his sign had been taken yet again, he was elated because he knew he had finally caught the person responsible on camera.

He just didn’t expect that person to be a uniformed police officer.

Assuming the photos are entirely authentic, a police officer with the Somers Police Department appears to have been caught on camera ripping the sign, which reads: “Protect the Second Amendment,” from the man’s front yard. It wasn’t immediately clear if the police officer had removed the sign previously too or if the action was ordered by Somers PD.

TheBlaze has left messages with the Somers Police Department as well as the man who claims his signs were removed from his property on multiple occasions.

Here’s the photo evidence, which the man posted on the pro-gun forum NYFirearms.com on Monday (also notice the timestamps of the photos):

(NYFirearms.com)

(NYFirearms.com)

(NYFirearms.com)

The man, who TheBlaze has been unable to contact so far, goes by the username “thecelt” on the forum. He explained exactly how the situation developed in a series of posts:

I sent an extra $20 donation to scopeny and they give you a repeal the safe act sign… I put it up and one scumbag neighbor called the town building inspector to complain. I got a letter for being in violation of a town code. As per advice on this forum from nyshooter I could fight it on grounds of my 1st amendment rights… so I called the town BI and after telling him ill fight it in court he asked what kind of sign it was so I said a pro2a sign so he said leave it up. A week or so later he called me back because the [neighbor] cried again and I said that I’m leaving it up. A day or so later my sign went missing…So I wanted to buy a trail cam first so I could catch the thief and press charges(can’t justify spending the money on one yet) before putting up another sign but I decided to make a sign of my own with plywood and I’m going to drive a couple 2×4 stakes in the ground so someone would have to really work to remove it.. here is a picture of the sign… tomorrow ill get a pic of it installed. Btw the stencils took quite a while to make and I rushed the paint work because I didn’t want to wait for one side to dry filly before doing the back side (both sides are the same)

One can understand why he first thought one of his neighbors, who was clearly against his Second Amendment sign and underlying message supporting the repeal New York’s so-called SAFE Act, was responsible.

But after setting up his camera, which he reportedly bought with the help of donations from fellow members on NYFirearms.com, the man learned that a police officer had taken his sign — at least on this occasion.

“Very strange turn of events…and im not quite sure where to go with this now,” he wrote. “[It's] the freaking SOMERS PD.”

(NYFirearms.com)

It is entirely possible that the Somers Police Department had the “legal” right to remove the sign, though many on the forum say the man’s constitutional right to free speech was violated regardless.

As the man who posted the photos points out: “this is my property, although i have to find out if the town claims any rights to property on the edge of the road as this was about 4-5′ in from the edge of the roadway.” He also admitted that he was instructed to remove the sign once by the town’s building inspector, though he claims he ultimately was told he could leave it up.

In his final post on Monday, “thecelt” said he was seeking legal advice before taking any action or notifying the police department.

However, he also said he was “highly offended my constitutional rights are being violated and i certainly expect some action to be taken.”

Featured image via NYFirearms.com. This story has been updated.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ro-gun-sign-what-he-discovered-blew-him-away/

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The cop should be hit with some serious charges, IMO. And any politician who ordered it, too.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Arrest that pig for multiple counts of vandalism, violation of civil rights, conspiracy to violate civil rights, and theft.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Arrest that pig for multiple counts of vandalism, violation of civil rights, conspiracy to violate civil rights, and theft.

18 USC § 242 - Deprivation of rights under color of law

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
My guess is he was under orders but that's not much of an excuse

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
I hope he sues the fuck out of that department

Sunsetspawn

Dec 5, 2005
No surprise in my county. Even the cops pee their pants here.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Is there a law that he can't post signs?
Some towns have ordinances about that stuff.

Considering there's no comment yet by him or the cops
I'd say this is a tad vague to get worked up over.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
I have met some gun confiscator cops who think that the unwashed masses shouldn't have the power of force to protect them, basically.
Libertarians call this the monopolization of force. The cops will say that they are part of a well-regulated militia to protect the people and
mere "civilians" shouldn't have firearms.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I have met some gun confiscator cops who think that the unwashed masses shouldn't have the power of force to protect them, basically.
Libertarians call this the monopolization of force. The cops will say that they are part of a well-regulated militia to protect the people and
mere "civilians" shouldn't have firearms.
The clear and rational way to phrase the issue is by pointing out that the government has the right to monopolize retaliatory force (i.e. punish criminals , fight wars), but regular citizens retain the right to use force in self defense.

I'm just adding that because, as far as I can tell, Libertarians don't make that argument consistently (many Libertarians reflexively hate everything cops and the government do, even when it's right). Which contributes to the confusion, makes it much harder for non-Libertarians to understand why gun rights and a country of objective laws and law enforcement don't have to conflict.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Set everything on fire!!! We are under Marshall Law!!!

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
Seems they were removed for being too close to public property.
Somers Town Supervisor Mary Beth Murphy told FoxNews.com that the signs were indeed on public property -- within 15 feet of the road -- and were removed to comply with town ordinances.

“The town does not allow signs in the right of way,” Murphy said. “The police chief had received numerous complaints from neighbors and it was determined that the sign was posted in the right of way.”

Rest of article.
A New York man, frustrated when his pro-Second Amendment sign kept disappearing, was surprised when the hidden camera he set up revealed the culprit to be a local cop.

Jon Gibson, of rural Lake Lincolndale, about 50 miles north of New York City, told FoxNews.com he set up a hunting field camera near the sign, which reads "Protect the Second Amendment," and features the silhouette of an assault rifle, after two mysteriously vanished. A third sign disappeared before the camera finally captured the sign stealer -- a police officer from the nearby Somers Police Department.

“It was pure shock to see,” Gibson said to FoxNews.com about first seeing the video recorded on Monday. “He had a huge smile on his face as he’s kicking down the sign.

“I was in total disbelief to see such criminal behavior from a law-enforcement officer.”
- John Gibson

“I was in total disbelief to see such criminal behavior from a law-enforcement officer,” he added.

Gibson’s lawyer, Richard Bombardo, told FoxNews.com that they are currently having his property surveyed to be certain that the signs were not on the public right-of-way, which, though on Gibson's property, would be restricted for signage.

“If the sign was close enough to public property, then they were within their right,” Bombardo said to FoxNews.com. “But if it was solely on his property, that’s where the issue is.”

Somers Town Supervisor Mary Beth Murphy told FoxNews.com that the signs were indeed on public property -- within 15 feet of the road -- and were removed to comply with town ordinances.

“The town does not allow signs in the right of way,” Murphy said. “The police chief had received numerous complaints from neighbors and it was determined that the sign was posted in the right of way.”

Murphy also denied Gibson's claim that the officer had attempted to destroy the sign.

“I have seen the images that were taken, but it is my understanding that he was loosening the sign from the ground,” she said. “It was brought to the Police Department and it is still intact and he (Gibson) would be able to come pick it up.”

However, images provided to FoxNews.com by Gibson clearly show the officer in mid-kick, snapping the post of the sign in half.

Murphy also said that there was never a fine issued, but that Gibson did receive a letter from the Somer Building Department.

Gibson says that he never received any sort of citation and that he’s been singled out as other signs in the area have been left undisturbed.

“This isn’t about the Second Amendment. My First Amendment and even my Fifth Amendment rights have been violated,” he said, explaining that words and image on the sign are protected by his right to free speech and the sign itself was taken from him without due process.

“I’m not quite sure where this is going to go, but what’s important here is that people need to defend their rights,” Gibson said.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Seems they were removed for being too close to public property.

Rest of article.
Well...fuck me running.