Man Gets 26 Years - Just Out For A Walk

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
GUILFORD COUNTY, N.C. (WGHP)— A Winston-Salem man was sentenced Tuesday to at least 26 years in prison for the attempted murder of a Guilford County sheriff's deputy in 2009.

Daniel Roy Smith, 57, was sentenced to 26 to 32 years in prison after taking part in a shootout with Corporal Wes Mecham on August 29, 2009.

Bank Robbery Mecham stopped Smith near the intersection of Wiley Lewis Road and Pleasant Garden Road around 4 a.m. Smith had just escaped from federal custody at a halfway house, where he was serving time for charges related to a bank robbery.

Dashcam video released Wednesday shows Smith pulling out a gun seconds after Meacham asked Smith if he had just left a halfway house.

"When I saw the gun, my first reaction was to back up and try and get my gun. That didn't work so well. I tripped and fell backwards in the middle of the road," Mecham said.

Smith then fired two shots at Mecham from point-blank range and missed. Mecham returned fire, hitting Smith five times. Smith then fired three more shots at Mecham, but Mecham was not injured.

"He may have been a bad shot, but I'd like to definitely say that God helped me out in that," Mecham said.

At one point Meacham threatened to kill Smith if he didn't put his gun down. Backup arrived a couple of minutes later and arrested Smith.

After the shooting incident, Smith was sentenced to remain in federal custody on the bank robbery charges until he is 85. After his release from federal custody, Smith will then begin serving the time from Tuesday's attempted murder sentencing.

Sheriff BJ Barnes said he had to wait to release the video until after Smith was sentenced. Barnes said he released the video to show what deputies do in the field on a daily basis.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=df4_1308196520

This is why a cop can ask you for your ID if you're out walking around, minding your own business. This guy was an escaped violent felon with a gun. This is how a lot of bad people get taken off the streets. Got the balls to do this miles from backup, by yourself?

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
"When I saw the gun, my first reaction was to back up and try and get my gun. That didn't work so well. I tripped and fell backwards in the middle of the road," Mecham said.
:haha7:

It makes me laugh so hard when I hear people say things about how well trained cops are. That sentence alone sums up my entire opinion on police.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I admire the cop's restraint there, the bad guy still had the gun in his hand the whole time on the ground. He should have done the world a favor and finished the job.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
After the second volley, the suspect was pretty much done. It's always in the back of your head that the camera is running. His gun hand dropped to the ground, the deputy had good cover and help on the way. If he had shot past the point where the suspect dropped, some asshole lawyer for the family would say the cop murdered him.

Ever trip over something in the dark, VT? Do you know that retreating to cover while facing a suspect is apart of your training? Or of course in close quarters you drop low and lean to the left because a right handed suspect will have a tendency to shoot to the left, giving you enough offset to protect yourself and return fire. My guess is he was following his training and tripped while running backwards on the side of the road. The do have training on self defense while on uneven or loose terrain, but they never pointed a loaded weapon at us promising to shoot us in the head in the process.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
As long as they stay out of "his" bar...;)
Oh he was just drunk in that thread. I love VT, because the prick does remind me that some people do get a badge job and really suck at it.

My "you go, we go" "in for a penny, in for a pound" "yellow betrays blue" boy scout mentality needs to be challenged once in awhile. You can tell Kid Connor has been on the job a lot longer....he rarely gets into pissing matches with people on here.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=df4_1308196520

This is why a cop can ask you for your ID if you're out walking around, minding your own business. This guy was an escaped violent felon with a gun. This is how a lot of bad people get taken off the streets. Got the balls to do this miles from backup, by yourself?
...and this is why, despite my "liberal" ideas on immigration, I'm totally okay with Arizona's (and now Georgia's) laws allowing cops to ask for immigration ID.

For fuck's sake, you're "required" to carry your Green Card with you all the time, anyway, just as guys between 18 and 25 are required to keep their Selective Service card on them. Few people do, of course, but where's the evil in actually giving the police the power to ask to see your fucking card?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Smith then fired two shots at Mecham from point-blank range and missed. Mecham returned fire, hitting Smith five times. Smith then fired three more shots at Mecham, but Mecham was not injured.

"He may have been a bad shot, but I'd like to definitely say that God helped me out in that," Mecham said.
God came down from Heaven and stopped these mother fucking bullets. Don't do that. Don't fucking blow this shit off. What just happened here was a fucking MIRACLE. We should be fucking dead my friend. What happened here was a miracle, and I want you to fucking acknowledge it!

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn

It makes me laugh so hard when I hear people say things about how well trained cops are. That sentence alone sums up my entire opinion on police.
And if he would have thrown the old guy on the car the second he started to back up you wouldn't have been bitched about how much of an asshole he was right?

But he got surprised that the old man, who he was having a civil conversation with, pulled a gun on him and he tripped backing up so that makes him an asshole anyway? Or an untrained asshole?

When I have said that cops are pricks sometimes for a reason.. this video explains that reason more than I ever could with words. I am more weary of people that are too compliant and nice than I am nervous and jumpy people...

You can tell Kid Connor has been on the job a lot longer....he rarely gets into pissing matches with people on here.
. Yeah,I don't bitch and moan as much anymore. Not that long though..next month will start my 13th year. I am still on the street everyday but I am off the radio and not answering jobs. It's made me a bit soft I think.

And motor, for what its worth, I have a lot of respect for cops, like yourself, who work solo with back up that is not too close. Be careful and Stay safe out there.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
...and this is why, despite my "liberal" ideas on immigration, I'm totally okay with Arizona's (and now Georgia's) laws allowing cops to ask for immigration ID.

For fuck's sake, you're "required" to carry your Green Card with you all the time, anyway, just as guys between 18 and 25 are required to keep their Selective Service card on them. Few people do, of course, but where's the evil in actually giving the police the power to ask to see your fucking card?
What the fuck is a selective service card? I registered, but I never got a card.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.

That might be one of the worst opinions I have read especially after watching the video. Training or not when caught completely off guard like that things happen quick. I cant believe people judge life threatening situations like this when they probably have never been in one. That is one job I would never want and thankfully the officer was unharmed but how he showed constraint is amazing.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Incorrect sir... and it is troubling to me that you, as a law enforcement officer believe this. Without reasonable suspicion, you are not allow to just randomly stop people on the street demand ID. Yeah, you can ask, but at what point does it go from a casual conversation to detention? Had he said he didn't have ID on him, would he be free to go?

Is walking around at 4am reasonable suspicion? I don't know, because I don't know the area. If they were looking for a guy that had just left a halfway house and he fit the description, that is more than enough reason to stop and ask, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Overall, I think the police officer didn't do anything "wrong", but I definitely doubt that he had the legal justification to demand ID. He's definitely allowed speak with you in a casual conversation and see if you will willfully give up your rights though.

Thank god the guy made it out of there unharmed and that we have another bad guy behind bars. I only wish he could have made a headshot and we wouldn't have to pay to feed the motherfucker.

I also hate the fact that you guys are making me sound like one of those paranoid cop haters.... something that I am NOT

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Incorrect sir... and it is troubling to me that you, as a law enforcement officer believe this. Without reasonable suspicion, you are not allow to just randomly stop people on the street demand ID. Yeah, you can ask, but at what point does it go from a casual conversation to detention? Had he said he didn't have ID on him, would he be free to go?

Is walking around at 4am reasonable suspicion? I don't know, because I don't know the area. If they were looking for a guy that had just left a halfway house and he fit the description, that is more than enough reason to stop and ask, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Overall, I think the police officer didn't do anything "wrong", but I definitely doubt that he had the legal justification to demand ID. He's definitely allowed speak with you in a casual conversation and see if you will willfully give up your rights though.

Thank god the guy made it out of there unharmed and that we have another bad guy behind bars. I only wish he could have made a headshot and we wouldn't have to pay to feed the motherfucker.

I also hate the fact that you guys are making me sound like one of those paranoid cop haters.... something that I am NOT
Walking around, minding your own business.....I was trolling VT. Of course you just can't randomly stop people for no reason. 4am, in an area the deputy said "rarely has anybody walking around this area". The deputy was suspicious, and it sure as hell looks like his suspicion was warranted. Some people just look "hinky" "jumpy" "hurried". Many a bad guy has been caught based on the gut instinct of an observant cop.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
If he had no ID....US law doesn't require anybody to carry an ID at all times, but the laws are changing in some states (Arizona and I think Utah). That's were it gets more complicated.

Why do you people think I work traffic, when I could be making $100K or more working city??? Life is easier when you are dealing with people that are required to produce a drivers liscense when you stop them.

EDIT - Only legal aliens are required to carry an ID. Despite the latino population being so high in some areas they all seem to have out of state drivers liscenses or ID cards...imagine that.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Walking around, minding your own business.....I was trolling VT. Of course you just can't randomly stop people for no reason. 4am, in an area the deputy said "rarely has anybody walking around this area". The deputy was suspicious, and it sure as hell looks like his suspicion was warranted. Some people just look "hinky" "jumpy" "hurried". Many a bad guy has been caught based on the gut instinct of an observant cop.
wow.... you were targeting him, but you totally hooked me in. Good job sir.

I totally follow what you're saying. If I saw a guy tense up just because he saw me in a cruiser or uniform, my senses would be tingling. There' nothing wrong with checking it out. I've seen cops go way to far in these type of things though.

"Am I being detained?"
"No"
"Ok then I am free to go?"
"No"

Hell, I got spoken to a few weeks ago. Was at my favorite bar and had one too many for me to safely drive home even after I hung out and drank water for the hour that my buddy took to clean up. Walked the 10 min walk home with a quick stop at 7-11 at about 3am. I was a few hundred yards from my condo and had a cruiser drive past do a loop and comeback to check up on me.

Cop: "Everything ok buddy?"
ME: "yep, just walking back from XXX bar."
Cop: "it's a bit late to be coming back from there isnt it?"
Me: "well sir, i hung out until my buddy locked the place up. Didn't feel safe getting behind the wheel so I am heading home on foot"
Cop: "ahh, ok, thanks for that. how much farther you have to walk"
Me: "just a hundred yards or so. just up there on the right"
Cop "have a good night sir"

I know guys that have an extreme distrust of cops that would chastise me for that interaction, but that's part of their job. Hell, I want them checking people out while walking down the street at 3am. I'm sure the guy probably made another loop through in a few minutes and would have definitely questioned me again if I was beyond where I told him I lived.

Poison The Well

Somebody poisoned the water-hole!
Jan 7, 2008
Texas

People willfully give up their rights all the time. It's sort of like the ole' "You mind if I search your car?" thing and you can obviously tell them to fuck off but dumbies don't know that.