Man Jumps Off Bridge To Avoid DUI Test

New Orleans police say Thomas Robert Harter tried to avoid a field sobriety test by jumping off a bridge into a chilly lake.

A New Orleans man went to extreme measures to avoid taking a DUI test: He jumped off a 20-foot-high.

On Sunday, Thomas Robert Harter was pulled over by police and asked to take a sobriety test after another motorist reported his car swerving and speeding, according to Newser.

Although Harter got out of the car without being asked, and was waving his arms in the air, police say he was swaying smelling of alcohol and wearing a green St. Patrick's Day necklace. When the officer asked for his vehicle registration, Harter got back into his car and exited again, holding a pile of paper scraps and a stack of CDs, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, still swaying.

At that point, the officer asked Harter to take a field sobriety test and he agreed, before suddenly "bolting" and leaping into the water 20 feet below.

One officer managed to grab him, but couldn't hold on to Harter, who was wearing jeans, boots and a camouflage T-shirt.

Harter fell into the lake and disappeared into the water, which was rough, with winds between 15 and 20 mph, and cold, about 60 degrees, according to Causeway General Manager Carlton Dufrechou.

The southbound lanes were closed for about a half hour as rescuers looked for him.

"We were concerned that the current would just take him away," Dufrechou told the Times-Picayune.

Luckily, Harter managed to grab a utility building at the base of the bridge. He was hauled out of the 60-degree water intact and arrested for what will be his eighth drunk-driving charge, according to WWL-TV.

He was also charged with resisting arrest and careless driving, and booked as a fugitive on outstanding warrants for a hit and run.

He is being held on a $15,000 bond on the alleged driving violations, according to Fox News, but Dufrechou thinks that's better than the alternative.

"He's a lot better off than being crabmeat," he told reporters.

Link

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Luckily, Harter managed to grab a utility building at the base of the bridge. He was hauled out of the 60-degree water intact and arrested for what will be his eighth drunk-driving charge, according to WWL-TV.
I cant stand people like this. I wish hope they tacked on every charge legally possible for this piece of shit. What ever happened to taking away DUI repeat offenders' licenses?

I cant stand people like this. I wish hope they tacked on every charge legally possible for this piece of shit. What ever happened to taking away DUI repeat offenders' licenses?
He might have one of those conditional licenses... like one that allows you to drive to work/school.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
7 meters....Slow the fuck down there reporter....he wasn't cliff diving. And what kind of lake do they have to worry about a current? Was he going to go over a dam?

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
The story didn't say he had a license, and I'm guessing he doesn't. We had a guy around here who had 18 DUIs over like 30 years.. the last one even put him in prison for 2-3 years... dude just kept driving drunk on a suspended.

Psychopath

I want to fuck your girlfriend.
They really need to make it so if you drive drunk you can be charged with attempted murder. After one DUI you should have your license taken permanently.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
7 meters....Slow the fuck down there reporter....he wasn't cliff diving. And what kind of lake do they have to worry about a current? Was he going to go over a dam?
It's Lake Pontchartrain. Famous for being the lake just north of New Orleans that broke through the levee during Katrina and flooded a nice chunk of the city.

The currents aren't bad IIRC but the chop can get a bit scary. It's a huge lake. People regularly drown in it.

Floyd1977

Come on guys, let's not be to rash. I suspect this gentleman may have a bit of a drinking problem.

Dikbag

They really need to make it so if you drive drunk you can be charged with attempted murder. After one DUI you should have your license taken permanently.
I would agree with this if the the legal limit was .2.

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
No license doesn't mean you can't drive. 8 DUI he probably doesn't have one anyway.

jagsfans

8 DUI's, couldn't we better control these fucking drunks if we locked em up for 5 years every time they get a DUI?

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
I imagined BeerBelly was an older fella.

Psychopath

Smokers aren't driving into oncoming traffic killing whole families.

Although I share your disdain for drunk drivers, I think charging them with attempted murder is a bit much.

Repeat offenders should definitely have their license taken away and have to do some jail time if they can't take the hint.

Smokers aren't driving into oncoming traffic killing whole families.
not every person arrested for DUI kill people. I'm not saying it's safe but to charge someone for an act with no intent, is insane. Second hand smoke, people on drugs can kill just as many, and while you're at it, charge people talking/texting, speeding for the same. See where this is going?

Psychopath

I think people who text while driving should be beaten with a rubber dick. And then have their license should b taken.

lajikal

A woman should be shot on the spot if caught driving.