Man Plays With Police At DUI Checkpoint

poppAwoody

C colon enter
May 23, 2006
LI, New York
I wouldn't have spelled my name out and gave badge number, let him get it lol . Just give a little bit back

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I hate videos like this. I agree with the action but the driver ALWAYS comes off like a cocksucker.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I wish everyone would do this. Fuck your police checkpoint.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
If I was a cop I would assume either this guy has been drinking or is just a dick. Both are grounds for having a car follow him, find a reason to pull him over, and ruin his day.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
If I was a cop I would assume either this guy has been drinking or is just a dick. Both are grounds for having a car follow him, find a reason to pull him over, and ruin his day.
If you stopped a guy for being a dick, you would be violating the Constitution and the oath you took.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
If you stopped a guy for being a dick, you would be violating the Constitution and the oath you took.

No... You're stopping him for a violation of the traffic law. You're hammering him with every code you can find because he is a dick.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
That's why I said "find a reason to pull him over". Like I said I'm not a cop. This guy annoys me as much as those guys that open carry just to tell the cop all about their rights.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I don't drive drunk but do avoid all roadblocks as a matter of principle.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
We don't do checkpoints here, but I'm sure a car was put on him to see if he showed signs of impairment. This is the exact reason why I don't care for checkpoints. It's constitutionally shakey at best.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
No... You're stopping him for a violation of the traffic law. You're hammering him with every code you can find because he is a dick.
If you detain someone for "being a dick", you are violating the Constitution because that is not a violation of the law.

What traffic law did he violate? He argued about the law with the cop (not illegal) and the cop consented to his point and let him go. He didn't speed through the roadblock or give the cop probable cause in any other way. He was a law-abiding asshole.

Cops may have to deal with assholes more than most people, but they have more power than most people, and thus should be expected to show more restraint. At my job if I try to ruin someone's day because they were an asshole to me, I'm fired or I lose a customer.

I'm not taking this guy's side when it comes to attitude... I think the cop was more professional, but I expect them to be.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
We don't do checkpoints here, but I'm sure a car was put on him to see if he showed signs of impairment. This is the exact reason why I don't care for checkpoints. It's constitutionally shakey at best.
The only way they can get away with it is notifying the public in advance and giving you a bailout (which technically makes it a "voluntary checkpoint")... but I know for a fact many agencies have roaming patrols near the bailout and will pay special attention to someone who uses it.

I've won a few bar bets by calling up the local PD on speakerphone and asking the exact location of the DUI checkpoints that night, and having them tell me because they're legally obligated to do so.

It is a Constitutional loophole and I don't really agree with it... plus you're only catching the dumbest drunk drivers. Increased patrols is probably much more efficient and not a Constitutional issue.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
That we do agree on. The guy was being a dick but I have a problem
with having to go thru any kind of a check point when I'm doing nothing
wrong. I don't care if it's a seat belt check, a DUI check or whatever.

Dikbag

Dec 11, 2004
NW Ohio
That we do agree on. The guy was being a dick but I have a problem
with having to go thru any kind of a check point when I'm doing nothing
wrong. I don't care if it's a seat belt check, a DUI check or whatever.
I will deal with going through a check point if it could save a life. Which I'm sure they have. It may be a small number of lives saved, but I'm sure at some point in history at least one drunk was prevented from killing a family b/c of a checkpoint.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
I will deal with going through a check point if it could save a life. Which I'm sure they have. It may be a small number of lives saved, but I'm sure at some point in history at least one drunk was prevented from killing a family b/c of a checkpoint.
I understand where you're coming from but I hate
to surrender my rights. Once you lose them you'll
never get them back and they'll only try to take more.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
The only way they can get away with it is notifying the public in advance and giving you a bailout (which technically makes it a "voluntary checkpoint")... but I know for a fact many agencies have roaming patrols near the bailout and will pay special attention to someone who uses it.

I've won a few bar bets by calling up the local PD on speakerphone and asking the exact location of the DUI checkpoints that night, and having them tell me because they're legally obligated to do so.

It is a Constitutional loophole and I don't really agree with it... plus you're only catching the dumbest drunk drivers. Increased patrols is probably much more efficient and not a Constitutional issue.
Exactly. When I'm out drunk hunting I want good solid video evidence that the car I'm following is showing signs of impairment. Sometimes it's just a sleepy driver, or somebody that just flat out can't drive very well. I have a pep talk about highway safety and kick them loose.

The last hardcore checkpoint I worked was years ago when I was a deputy on my first badge job. That was a multi agency clusterfuck. We had 2-3 dozen officers working it. Because we had it on the interstate, we had more truck traffic then car traffic so of course the DOT had a truck lane checking log books. They got backed up 10 minutes in, so we had to wave trucks through. The car lanes were mostly people coming home from the midnight shift from the packing plant. Because of safety rules, we had to have our lightbars on at the approach part of the checkpoint. So we knew that a smart drunk would pull a quick u-turn on the interstate to avoid the checkpoint. So I was assigned to run a chase car to catch anybody that flipped a U. Sure enough, one car did. But once I had him stopped the flood gates opened and every other car coming up to the checkpoint hit the median and hauled ass right past me. I called for help, and here came two state troopers that caught two more of them. It became a numbers game. The entire pack of cars realized we only had so many cars to catch them so it was like a herd of buffalo flipping u turns in the median.

It was the definition of a Charlie Foxtrot. I damn near got hit by a drunk in the melee. Two hours later, we had a 20 people in custody on various charges and had caused one accident. The Sheriff was so pissed that our county had been selected to do the checkpoint he said he would never have one again.

poppAwoody

C colon enter
May 23, 2006
LI, New York
If you detain someone for "being a dick", you are violating the Constitution because that is not a violation of the law.

What traffic law did he violate? He argued about the law with the cop (not illegal) and the cop consented to his point and let him go. He didn't speed through the roadblock or give the cop probable cause in any other way. He was a law-abiding asshole.

Cops may have to deal with assholes more than most people, but they have more power than most people, and thus should be expected to show more restraint. At my job if I try to ruin someone's day because they were an asshole to me, I'm fired or I lose a customer.

I'm not taking this guy's side when it comes to attitude... I think the cop was more professional, but I expect them to be.
checkpoints are legal and random stops at them are legal as long as you can dictate a pattern of stops. So TECHNICALLY they could have pushed the issue without violating the constitution and I think obstructing is not too far off a valid charge and if he ran resisting would definitely apply.