Man takes car on 2,000 mile test drive

CM Mark

The East is Ours!
Apr 13, 2005
Pretty Pretty Unicorn
http://www.reuters.com/article/oddl...0080306?feedType=RSS&feedName=oddlyEnoughNews

CANBERRA (Reuters) - An Australian who took a new car on a 3,200 km (1,988 mile) six-day test drive from the city to the outback has been arrested, police said on Thursday.

The 30-year-old convinced a car dealer in the southeastern city of Melbourne to lend him a A$40,000 ($37,000) Honda Accord sedan last Friday and drove the equivalent of London to Istanbul before he was arrested near the town of Tennant Creek, deep in the outback of the Northern Territory.

"He drove from Melbourne to Adelaide to Alice Springs," Tennant Creek police Constable James Gray-Spence told Reuters.

He said the man was arrested without incident at a road block on his way north to Darwin after he failed to pay for fuel at a hamlet.

The test drive was the longest known to Australian police and topped a 500km theft on New Zealand's South Island in 2006.

"I think we've topped that with the 3,000 km mark," Gray-Spence said.

Melbourne car yard owner Ian McKenzie said the man would have had to have been in the car all day, every day to reach Tennant Creek.

"He seemed a legitimate gentleman. He stood at the desk right in front of a camera. He wasn't afraid of being photographed or videoed," McKenzie told the Herald Sun newspaper.

The man was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a motor vehicle and unlawful possession of property and will appear in court on Thursday.

(Reporting by Rob Taylor, editing by Jonathan Standing)

:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
He made it pretty far... I wonder if he would have made it to Darwin if he paid for the gas.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Why the fuck would you want to go to central Australia? There aint shit there. I could understand going up the east coast but into the Northern Territory....there is something wrong with that guy.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
You have to hide the bodies somewhere.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
He was just trying to get back to Belonga Mick.

Did he have a hot blonde journalist from New York with him?

I stink.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Why do the news douches try to be clever by calling it a test drive instead of just saying the guy stole the car??

Fucking O&A. I can't listen to the news any more because of them, it just annoys me now

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Try that in the states and see if they call it a test drive......

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
A few things stand out in this article to me:

1. They set up a road block for someone who didn't pay for gas?

2. A Honda Accord is $40,000 down there? Ouch.

Eagle.007

Frrrrrrunkis!
Jan 8, 2007
NEPA
I'm a little surprised to learn London to Istanbul is only 2k miles. Fuck, Europe is a small continent.

A Honda Accord is $40,000 down there? Ouch.
You can't quite equate sale prices of cars in other countries with USD because of the vagaries of exchange rates and other concerns... Besides the basic conversion that shows the car at $37,000US (mentioned in the article), ALL cars down there cost more than you'd think. A Holden Commodore Omega (mid-size sedan) with a V6 and an automatic has a base price of about $39,000AUS, almost a dead ringer for the Accord in the article. For comparison, an up-market Commodore called the SS V-Series, with a body kit, nicer interior, go-fast goodies and a honkin' V8, costs $55,000AUS with no options.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
You can't quite equate sale prices of cars in other countries with USD because of the vagaries of exchange rates and other concerns... Besides the basic conversion that shows the car at $37,000US (mentioned in the article), ALL cars down there cost more than you'd think. A Holden Commodore Omega (mid-size sedan) with a V6 and an automatic has a base price of about $39,000AUS, almost a dead ringer for the Accord in the article. For comparison, an up-market Commodore called the SS V-Series, with a body kit, nicer interior, go-fast goodies and a honkin' V8, costs $55,000AUS with no options.
and they run on vegemite

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
hooo hoo he's ripping off Kramer