Man vs. Wild V Survivorman

Hobo_Cum

Psst... your balls are showing...
Apr 15, 2006
Hobo Cock, Massachusetts
I always thought it was kind of fishy that the man v wild dude had a full camera crew with him.

i had watched Survivorman before i had ever even heard of Bear Grylls. At least Survivorman is a legit survival expert and not some hack with a full fucking camera crew and room-service. regardless of if its "better tv".

seeing some of the incredible shots survivorman is able to get is that much more impressive as he has to set those cameras up, walk away a long distance and then come back and get the camera, which is that much more ridiculously hard.

i agreed with Patrice when they originally talked about this shit and im happy that he was proven right.

HaLLuCiN0

Sorry Harvey.
Sep 9, 2005
??

What are you talking about... Bear Grylls is an EXPERT... British speshal forces, climed Everest... he has MUCH more experience then Survivorman .. who is a film maker... The camera guys with Bear will keep him from dieing from a snake bite, but a 100 foot drop will kill anyone, with or without a crew. If you watch, he does things that are much more risky then Survivorman .

The 2 shows are about the same topic, but with different feels...

Both shows are fun to watch... Why do we feel the need to trash one?

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
Pretty much the same show, and they're both excellent. No need to argue really.

danny666

Oct 12, 2004
I agree with that. I never feel Bear is in danger because he has a camera crew with him that's always there to keep him company and maybe sneak him supplies.
With Survivorman he's dropped off in a remote location and has to survive. One of these days they're just going to find his dead body and they can use that footage for a blair witch project 'very special episode' of Survivorman. I think he's filming the second season of Survivorman and have four episodes completed, and his next episode to be taped is in Alaska. I did a google search and he writes a blog before he tapes an episode.

Bear's Man vs Wild is more TV friendly. You watch it because there is more of a plot and he does more stunts. I mean plot because everything seems rigged along the journey, everything seems well scouted. Like when he finds a shortcut that saves him days of travel.

P

poploser

i can watch both shows, but survivorman is much more interesting because he is alone. man v wild does seem a little staged and from the article posted above it looks like i have good reason to believe it.

Plus he has the camera crew, it takes away from the realism, especially when in one episode he says i hate being alone" meanwhile there are 2 guys with him as he is saying it

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
Survivorman is not really all that interesting. They drop him off for a few days and he just wanders in circles and points some shit out until they pick him up again. I like the way Man Vs Wild is set up so he actually makes his way out of wherever he is. It may not be as real as it is presented. But I've seen the guy drink water from elephant shit and cut a hunk of meat from a dead zebra and eat it raw. Where he sleeps is inconsequential next to that.

nataskaos

He's no good to me dead.
Jul 7, 2006
BFE
survivorman is not alone.
he has a safety crew at all times.

madbam

I'm on da Zoloft..........
Aug 2, 2001
Poughkeepsie, NY
Survivorman is not really all that interesting. They drop him off for a few days and he just wanders in circles and points some shit out until they pick him up again. I like the way Man Vs Wild is set up so he actually makes his way out of wherever he is. It may not be as real as it is presented. But I've seen the guy drink water from elephant shit and cut a hunk of meat from a dead zebra and eat it raw. Where he sleeps is inconsequential next to that.
YESSSSS!!! (James norton doing Alan Alda)

meanmarv

"café con piernas"
May 26, 2005
Montana
Man V Wild has situations like the one where just by accident there is a dead red deer for him to skin and make a fur blanket or he can snare a rabbit by using shoestring. I do like the show and it takes balls or at least a bladder to drink your own piss on camera.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
survivorman is better just not as exciting. they had to get a tan well built guy with an english accent who jumps off shit so girls and people with ADD will watch. thats just my opinion

Mother Shucker

I'm over here now.
Oct 13, 2004
Your Mom's box.
Pretty much the same show, and they're both excellent. No need to argue really.
So wrong.

Survivor man shows you things you could do if stuck.

Man vs. Wild shows you things you could do if you where a ex Navy Seal.

Both entertaining though, and I watch whenever I can.

P

poploser

survivorman is better just not as exciting. they had to get a tan well built guy with an english accent who jumps off shit so girls and people with ADD will watch. thats just my opinion

yes, its almost like "lets drop beckham off in the woods for a few hours"

wait that doesn't sound like a bad idea

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
Of all the episodes that I've seen of Survivor Man, I've only seen him get picked up without actually 'getting out' of his situation 2 or 3 times. Those times are usually when the area he gets dropped in is just offering up nothing for him to actually survive with. Basically, they could pick him up, or let him die and it's no more show. Besides, he gets one match and a power bar. Not a flint, canteen, etc.

I like both shows, M v W has more 'action' sure, but seeing as how some of these events are apparently staged, it takes away from it a bit now. Survivorman may be some sissy Canadian, and not as much action packed, but even before these allegations came out, it still seemed to me to be a bit less of a Hollywood production and more realistic.

I'll still be watching each show when its on, but it sort of confirmed my suspicions, especially when I've noticed Bear occasionally getting covered in some gooey shit and then when the morning comes his hair looking a bit fresher (even though he can't seem to find enough water to keep him properly hydrated).

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
yes, its almost like "lets drop beckham off in the woods for a few hours"

wait that doesn't sound like a bad idea
Especially if his host family was from Deliverance.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I personally think both shows are set up to some degree. They both come across shit that I have no doubt were found by scout teams and they bring the guys over and tell them what to say. NO ONE just knows that much about all the different types of environments they are put in off the top of their heads. So the next time one of them is showing you how to strip the fruit of the ubungawa bush and how to properly prepare them to be eaten, think to yourself, does this really seem like he knows this or does it seem like he's repeating some producer just told him to say?

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
I dig Man Vs Wild, but don't care for Survivorman. Survivorman seems less dynamic; Could be the camera angels by a fantastic camera crew.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
I personally think both shows are set up to some degree. They both come across shit that I have no doubt were found by scout teams and they bring the guys over and tell them what to say. NO ONE just knows that much about all the different types of environments they are put in off the top of their heads. So the next time one of them is showing you how to strip the fruit of the ubungawa bush and how to properly prepare them to be eaten, think to yourself, does this really seem like he knows this or does it seem like he's repeating some producer just told him to say?
survivor man goes out with an expert of whatever area he is doing his 7 days in before he starts shooting. the guys tells him what kind of things to expect in that particular area.

DanfromBoston

My health won't allow it
Nov 15, 2006
Their both fun to watch, but you cant deny that Man V. Wild is more entertaining. Bear's more fun to watch and has alot more energy than Les Stroud. But that might be because he slept at the Four Seasons at the end of the day

wigsnatcher

usually confused
May 11, 2007
Nashville
i guess i knew in the back of my head that manvswild was set up, everything just seems to go to perfect for him, but it does make for a much better show. as for survivorman , the one where he gets dropped off in the ocean, he totally freaked out when he lost radio contact. he had 2 radios and 2 rafts, who gets stranded like that? it is kinda funny to watch him fail at almast everything he does tho.

Jul 24, 2005
MvsW guy is a tool. It's obvious when you watch the show. In the shot where he's going across the gorge with the big drop, you can clearly see (for a few seconds) a climber's hook around the rope that he's "crawling" across.

If the normal person were to do the things he does on that show, they would die.

Tooz

Banging a big blocker
Jun 15, 2004
Jersey Shore
I like both shows alot, but like Survivorman a lil more cause it seems he is on his own out there, Though I did see one show where is is supposed to be stuck on a life raft of the coast of some south American country, and his "safety crew" has to rescue him when a big storm is aproching. And then he goes back in the reft and finds an Island, only to be once again picked up cause the country is having civil unrest. Both shows are entertaining.

FROM the NYPOST
July 24, 2007 -- Discovery Channel he-man Bear Grylls, the host of the survival-skills show "Man vs. Wild," is barely the man he seems to be on TV.
On the program, Grylls appears to camp out in quickly-built shelters deep in the wilderness while battling hypothermia and dehydration. But when the cameras stop rolling, Grylls has actually moved to luxurious hotels.
In the last two seasons, he and producers have contrived other scenes to make it appear as if Grylls is more skilled than he really is, a consultant for the show told The Times of London.
"If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive," said Mark Weinert, an Oregon-based survival consultant, who said producers hired him as an adviser for the show.
Discovery Channel officials declined to comment, but in the U.K., where the show airs with the title "Born Survivor," stunned network officials at Channel 4 said they are conducting an internal investigation.
"Discovery Communications has learned that isolated elements of the 'Man vs. Wild' show in some episodes were not natural to the environment, and that for health and safety concerns the crew and host received some survival assistance while in the field," a spokeswoman for the network said.
"Moving forward the program will be 100 percent transparent and all elements of the filming will be explained up-front to our viewers. In addition, shows that are to be repeated will be edited appropriately."
According to Weinert, while filming in California's Sierra Nevada mountains - an episode in which Grylls, 33, is seen biting off the head of a snake for breakfast - Grylls actually spent some nights with the show's crew in a lodge outfitted with television, stone fireplaces, hot tubs and Internet access.
The Pines Resort at Bass Lake is advertised as "a cozy getaway for families" and is a luxurious hotel with its own spa on a lake.
In another instance, where Grylls was supposed to be surviving on a desert island, he was actually in Hawaii and spent nights at a motel, Weinert said.
The same episode had Grylls building a Polynesian-style raft using only materials around him, including bamboo, hibiscus twine and palm leaves for a sail. Weinert said he actually led a team of builders to construct the raft.
It was then taken apart so that Grylls could be shown building it on camera.
In another episode, viewers watched as Grylls tried to coax what seemed like a wild mustang into a lasso in the Sierra Nevada.
"I'm in luck," he told viewers, apparently coming across four wild horses grazing in a meadow. "A chance to use an old Native American mode of transport comes my way. This is one of the few places in the whole of the U.S. where horses still roam wild." In fact, Weinert said, the horses were not wild but were brought in by trailer.