Man with gas cans arrested at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
Opie?

A man carrying two gas cans, lighter fluid and lighters tried to enter New York City’s famed St. Patrick’s Cathedral on Wednesday but was stopped by a security officer and taken into custody, an NYPD official said.

"Nothing happened inside the cathedral," the Archdiocese of New York said in a statement.

There was no fire, but there were people inside and the building was open at the time of the incident. Three senior law enforcement officials said the man may be emotionally disturbed.

The Archdiocese said that "the individual was stopped as he tried to come into the cathedral," and he was turned over to police.

NYPD investigate a disturbance of a man at St Patrick's Cathedral who was arrested while carrying two gas cans in New York on April 17, 2019.NBC News
The incident comes days after the historic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris burned in what officials in France say they think could be an accident, and renovation work was being done at the time it broke out. Police said that the NYPD maintains a robust security presence at the Cathedral at all times, but that the department had added to that in recent days.

NBC New York reported, citing law enforcement sources, that the man taken into custody is Marc Lamparello, 37, of New Jersey.

NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counterterrorism John Miller said at a news conference Wednesday night that the man was stopped shortly before 8 p.m. by a security officer at the cathedral.

The man pulled up in a minivan on Fifth Avenue and left the car, Around 7:55 p.m., he returned to the minivan and took out two 2-gallon cans of gasoline, a plastic bag with two bottles of lighter fluid and two lighters and tried to enter the cathedral, Miller said.

"As he enters the cathedral, he is confronted by a cathedral security officer who asked him where he’s going, informs him he can't proceed into the cathedral carrying these things," Miller said. "At that point some gasoline apparently had spilled out onto the floor."

Two counterterrorism police officers outside were notified and caught up with the man on 50th Street, Miller said. “His answers were inconsistent and evasive,” he said.

"His basic story was that he was cutting through the cathedral to get to Madison Avenue, that his car had run out of gas," Miller said. “We took a look at the vehicle. It was not out of gas.”

He was then taken into custody, Miller said. He did not make any statements about Notre Dame in his initial statements, Miller said.

"It's hard to say exactly what his intentions were," Miller said, noting that the man in custody is known to police.

"We are looking into his background, obviously, and talking to a couple of other agencies,” Miller said. The FBI’s joint terrorism task force is involved “out of an abundance of caution," he said, "because we don’t know exactly what his mind-set was, what his motive was.”

"But we do know that carrying two cans of gasoline and the equipment to light that, to a public area and a place like St. Patrick’s Cathedral is something that presents a danger to the public, and that’s why he’s in custody," Miller said.

Around 7:55pm, a man walked into St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Manhattan with gas cans and lighter fluid, and was subsequently apprehended by @NYPDCT without incident. We thank our partners for their help, and remember - if you see something, say something.
https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1118712787977555968

The cornerstone of the iconic Midtown church was laid in 1858, and it formally opened May 25, 1879, according to the cathedral’s website. Pope Benedict XVI became the first pope to celebrate Mass there in 2008.

The cathedral and has undergone renovations since, including a nearly $200 million restoration that was announced in 2015 and completed a year later, NBC New York reported.

"There was some very good work done here, obviously by the St. Patrick’s Cathedral security officer who encountered this man immediately inside," as well as the two police officers who tracked him down, Miller said.

click

I'm not positive but that sex for sam bit was right when I started listening to them for the first time. Well maybe a few months before. I have the NY post from when
they were fired lol

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
I tried to find more information on the guy. Either he's a CUNY philosophy professor OR there's a CUNY philosophy professor with the same name being wrapped into this because he's the most prominent Marc Lamparello.

LiddyRules

And based on further reading I've done, this is the Democrats' fault and the Democrats are also responsible for burning Notre Dame and the subsequent cover up.

I'd say that derisively, but also fully acknowledge a large percentage of the board believes that.

Is "7th century terrorist" the new, hip buzz term for Muslims? That's also coming up a lot.

DiggerNick

Donator
Would that be 'Man'; aka: Democrats' code name for a Muslim they don't want to identify?

I'm not positive but that sex for sam bit was right when I started listening to them for the first time. Well maybe a few months before. I have the NY post from when
they were fired lol
LOL!!!

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Old news, Homey. Shit happened in my goofy city last weekend...

https://globalnews.ca/news/5163830/...-fire-on-edmontons-whyte-avenue-friday-night/

A man was arrested on a busy Edmonton street for nightlife Friday night after more than a dozen vehicles were lit on fire in front of witnesses at area bars.
“One of my servers came running in the door saying she wanted to call the police,” said CJ Rowein, manager of the the Next Act Pub. “I stuck my head out of the door and saw a guy sprinkling gas on cars down the street and lighting the tires on fire.”

Patrons sitting on the patio at his establishment watched a man walk down the popular avenue with a jerrycan, lighting tires on fire.

Police confirmed 13 vehicles were set on fire along 104 Street and 82nd Avenue but no injuries were reported.
Malice Sutton, 22, now faces several charges, including 11 charges of arson to property of others and assault with a weapon.

Rowein said he was one of several staff from various restaurants that quickly jumped into action grabbing extingushers to douse the flames.
“It was great to see everybody rally and put the fires out,” he said.
Witnesses told Global News it appeared the arson spree began in an alley behind the Vascona Hotel.
“I overheard someone saying ‘he’s lighting another car on fire,'” said Ross Lockwood. “That’s when I spun around and started recording video of an arsonist that was carrying a jerrycan down Calgary Trail and lighting cars on fire.”
Lockwood recorded part of the incident with his phone, describing the reactions of bystanders as “incredible.”

“Everyone stayed calm, everybody played a different role. In the video you can hear them say, ‘who’s called 911?’ ‘where are the police, they’re on their way,” Lockwood added.
“It was that kind of behaviour.”

Police told Global News they were called to Whyte Avenue and Calgary Trail around 8:40 p.m., after a group of people conducted a citizen’s arrest inside the Starbucks. The suspect was handed over to officers when they arrived.

Witnessed said four people held the suspect down inside the coffee shop until police arrived.
It’s unclear what caused the man to go on the arson spree.
“He was yelling some stuff about homophobia and xenophobia as he was walking past the pub so there were a lot of flags for me that raised a lot of questions,"
https://globalnews.ca/news/5163830/...-fire-on-edmontons-whyte-avenue-friday-night/

A) Nice name, Deek
B) The Next Act has a fucking great burger

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**

LiddyRules

Stig

I hope that at the very least, Opie finally got his viral video.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
3 seasons into a binge watch...LOVE the show...I had no idea it was so vietnam centric...and had N-bombs in an episode..
You forget that viet nam was really fresh in 83, all the cool characters were all vets, magnum, the a team, sunny crocket, and,actually going further back a few of the fire fighters from “EMERGENCY” and, Higgins was SAS

I tried to find more information on the guy. Either he's a CUNY philosophy professor OR there's a CUNY philosophy professor with the same name being wrapped into this because he's the most prominent Marc Lamparello.
His whole schtick about having sex with black guys isn't funny anymore.

You forget that viet nam was really fresh in 83, all the cool characters were all vets, magnum, the a team, sunny crocket, and,actually going further back a few of the fire fighters from “EMERGENCY” and, Higgins was SAS
Yeah, I watched it as a kid on nightime TV sometimes but in my head it was just cool hawaii guy solves crimes...I never realized all the "delayed stress" and "Combat fatigue" played such a big roll...and then of course there is Season 3 episode 1 that drops at least 3 N-bombs..
https://www.springfieldspringfield....ts.php?tv-show=magnum-p-i-1980&episode=s03e01
It's also annoying that it was clear that Robin Masters was a real person and yet in the end they tease that it might have been Higgins all along..but the writers didn't think of doing that until they had already established that multiple characters had interacted with him and we as the view had seen him...shaded in the limo before orson wells died...
I haven't seen the new one but it would at least be cool if they did that...