Manhunt 2

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
3,338
2
228
Brooklyn, New York
#1
Could be a job for the PAC?

'Manhunt 2' suspension may boost demand By MATT SLAGLE, AP Technology Writer
Sat Jun 23, 9:05 AM ET



The decision by Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. to suspend distribution of the violent video game "Manhunt 2" could actually end up boosting demand from curious gamers, industry analysts said Friday.

Analysts do not believe the move will harm the company's long-term bottom line. And if the game ever sees the light of day, the current controversy could give the title "a lot more exposure that would actually benefit game sales in the long run," said Colin Sebastian, senior research analyst at Lazard Capital Markets.

"Manhunt 2," initially slated for a July release on Nintendo Co.'s Wii and Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 2, depicts the escape of an amnesiac scientist and a psychotic killer from an asylum and their subsequent epic killing spree.

Following bans by Britain and Ireland, as well as a ratings flap in the United States, Take-Two said late Thursday it was reviewing its options.

"We believe in freedom of creative expression, as well as responsible marketing, both of which are essential to our business of making great entertainment," the company said.

The game received a preliminary "Adults Only" rating in the United States from the industry's self-governed ratings body, the Entertainment Software Rating Board, restricting sales to customers 18 and older.

More importantly, such titles aren't stocked by large retailers such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc., and all three console makers — Microsoft Corp., Nintendo and Sony — do not allow "AO" games on their systems.

Take-Two still could appeal the rating or craft a toned-down version that meets the less-stringent "Mature" rating for players 17 and older.

It's a move anticipated by analysts, but no indication was given on the fate of the title as of Friday. Telephone messages left with a Take-Two company spokesman were not returned, and a spokesman for its Rockstar Games division, which created "Manhunt 2," declined comment.

"It's free publicity," Sebastian said. "Consumer backlash is a risk but at the end of the day if it's rated `M' the retailers will take it."

Added Rick Munarriz, a senior analyst with The Motely Fool: "If anything, with this suspension there's going to be a demand for it because of the controversy."

Investors also seemed unfazed as Take-Two shares rose 21 cents, or 1 percent, to $20.82 in trading Friday.

Take-Two and Rockstar still have a marquee franchise on tap for a fall release.

"Grand Theft Auto IV," the latest in a series of urban crime games, should prove to be the real money maker when it is released on the PlayStation 3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360 in October.

Previous versions have been top-sellers, and Sebastian said any financial hit from "Manhunt 2" would be more than offset by the new "GTA" game.

"Relative to Grand Theft Auto it's a lot less significant," Sebastian said of "Manhunt 2." "Grand Theft Auto is the key driver. This is a second-tier title."

The previous game in the series, "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," was at the center of a ratings controversy two years ago that sparked a Congressional inquiry.

Rockstar was forced to replace its first edition of "San Andreas" after a hacker discovered a password-protected game inside it that involved a sexual encounter.

This year has already been a turbulent one for Take-Two, which recently underwent a shareholder coup that ousted its chief executive and nearly all of its board.

The company said earlier this month that layoffs were likely as part of a restructuring effort designed to cut costs by about $25 million a year by 2008. Specific numbers haven't been released. Take-Two has about 2,100 employees.

It's not clear what effect the "San Andreas" controversy had on sales, as the title had already been available for months by the time the hack was discovered. In 2004, the year it was released, "San Andreas" was the top seller with more than 5.1 million copies sold in the U.S., according to market analyst NPD Group.

Controversies like "Manhunt 2" are to be expected for a company with a reputation for publishing edgy content, said Munarriz, the analyst.

"You have a company that's always lived in the gray area," he said. "These games are controversial and that's part of the allure."
Too bad, the first Manhunt was very good. Maybe they'll release it for the PC then? Wait and see......
 

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
19,062
134
268
Las Vegas, NV
#2
What the fuck does this have to do with the PAC? If a company doesn't want to release something it's their business.
 

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
78,994
27,581
898
Seattle
#3
all three console makers — Microsoft Corp., Nintendo and Sony — do not allow "AO" games on their systems.
What in the fuck is that? I get Nintendo and maybe even Sony, but Microsoft? Adults want adult games damnit.
 

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
15,789
1,347
693
#5
I think Sony put their foot down on AO releases in the US after that BMXXX shit. Wasnt it AO? Nintendo has never allowed AO titles on their platform, as far as I know. Dunno about MS.
 

GonzoRadio

I like yoguuuuuurt
Nov 26, 2005
823
0
0
NYC
#6
I think Sony put their foot down on AO releases in the US after that BMXXX shit. Wasnt it AO? Nintendo has never allowed AO titles on their platform, as far as I know. Dunno about MS.
Nintendo used to pussify releases on their system.... Mortal Kombat on SNES had no blood...

Honestly, I don't get it. Americans like violent video games; we'll buy the games regardless of rating. I didn't know Sony and Microsoft(?) didn't allow certain content on their systems, but I do know some stores, namely walmart do not allow games rated above a certain rating. Game companies are afraid that people won't buy the games since they're not getting shelf space in the stores (esp walmart, which apparently is THE place to shop if you live in the midwest).

I say that if a game company had the balls to make a GOOD game adult only, the extra press would more than make up for not being in fucking walmart. It's two fucking thousand seven; everyone has internet connectivity (esp if you own a 360 or PS3), we don't need to go to the store to get the games anymore. I'm sure retailers would back off this retarded policy if people stopped shopping for games because of a shitty selection of games; but first we need the publishers to MAKE the adult only games.
 

BlackNinja

How'd your parents die?
Jan 25, 2006
1,200
0
0
Miami
#7
its just stupid politics, honestly does 365 days in someones life really change they way they feel about content, cause wtf is the difference between M(17+) and AO(18+), besides those 365 days?
 

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
19,062
134
268
Las Vegas, NV
#8
its just stupid politics, honestly does 365 days in someones life really change they way they feel about content, cause wtf is the difference between M(17+) and AO(18+), besides those 365 days?
It's not about that. It's about the content. With the AO game, there could be a lot of trouble if kids get a hold of them.

And if AO games were so great, you would be able to buy them for the PC. But nobody really wants them. No developer is going to make a game that most people won't play.