March Book Club: The Three-Body Problem

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
We said we weren't going to do sci-fi so let's do sci-fi!

The Three-Body Problem is the first chance for English-speaking readers to experience this multiple award winning phenomenon from China's most beloved science fiction author, Liu Cixin.

Set against the backdrop of China's Cultural Revolution, a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. An alien civilization on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile, on Earth, different camps start forming, planning to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion. The result is a science fiction masterpiece of enormous scope and vision.

LiddyRules

RIP King of France. Gutted Like Fish Under R Line
I'll tag people later.

And IIRC, @Neon read this and can vouch for it.
He also vouched for Cloverfield Paradox and not in the way we want vouchiness...

Also, I started Flower Moon late last week.

LiddyRules

It's great. That was a good choice.

I'm definitely down for more choices in the same genre.
I'd try Monster of Florence. Maybe that's an idea. Monthly switch offs. Fiction, non fiction.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I'd try Monster of Florence. Maybe that's an idea. Monthly switch offs. Fiction, non fiction.
I like it. Although Piggy is supposedly in charge of April. Who knows what that crazy son of a bitch is going to do.

LiddyRules

I like it. Although Piggy is supposedly in charge of April. Who knows what that crazy son of a bitch is going to do.
I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a graphic novel.

LiddyRules

Not sure if serious. If so, I've never read one so why not.
I am. I like graphic novels. I'd want something more self contained like Watchmen, but not Watchmen because I've read that plenty of times.

Had this one on the list for a while, been holding off on it since it was a trilogy. Noticed the 2nd and 3rd audiobook was by a different narrator than the first.

LiddyRules

Something like Maus?
Or something a bit cheerier... Christ.

But yeah. Something unique in the GN world. Not Batman v. Whatever. Not Anti-Superheroes, but I'd want something a bit more obscure or edgier. That really highlights the potential of the genre.

Or we can read Altered Carbon to see if the book is as REL as the first episode.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I’m thinking of ending things by Iain Reid.

I’d never put you through a comic book, and I had to come up with something bullet proof since Liddy is pissed at me for pooping on Rectify.

By the way, Rectify chick might be in my all time top 10.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator

I’d never put you through a comic book, and I had to come up with something bullet proof since Liddy is pissed at me for pooping on Rectify.

Sounds good to me but I'm not so sure from reading the summary and reviews that it's bulletproof.

He also vouched for Cloverfield Paradox and not in the way we want vouchiness...

Also, I started Flower Moon late last week.
I said I enjoyed it and that it was fun. I stand by that and I've yet to see a good argument for why I shouldn't.

And the Three Body Problem is a great read because of how different it is. It's extremely Chinese, which is exactly what you want in a foreign novel like this - some kind of perspective you haven't encountered before.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
She really is ridiculous. I saved her home movies, and I usually never do that.

And the Three Body Problem is a great read because of how different it is. It's extremely Chinese, which is exactly what you want in a foreign novel like this - some kind of perspective you haven't encountered before.
Well, let us hope this book doesn't go pee-pee in our metaphorical coke.

LiddyRules

I honestly think a decent graphic novel could be a unique choice. There are some great ones out there that show off how the medium could be more than superheroes.

F it. My next time at swing, a graphic novel.

Cool with your selection though.

LiddyRules

I said I enjoyed it and that it was fun. I stand by that and I've yet to see a good argument for why I shouldn't.
Because it was neither enjoyable nor fun. Did you read my posts?!?!

Well, let us hope this book doesn't go pee-pee in our metaphorical coke.
By the end of the book, we all think Transformers #1 all time movie.

I'd say we'll also hate Star Wars, but, well, too late.

Because it was neither enjoyable nor fun. Did you read my posts?!?!
No but considering this one I don't really need to. And Jesus Christ, wtf happened to all of you? Did you lose the capacity to just enjoy a dumb thing? I really don't get it.

LiddyRules

No but considering this one I don't really need to. And Jesus Christ, wtf happened to all of you? Did you lose the capacity to just enjoy a dumb thing? I really don't get it.
I can't even say it was dumb. I mean it was, but it wasn't fun dumb. It was like the self serious cousin of Geostorm.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Did you lose the capacity to just enjoy a dumb thing? I really don't get it.
Unfortunately, for me, yes. I thought that is what happened to everyone as they got older. I don't want it to be that way. I wish I still enjoyed a dumb thing.

LiddyRules

Unfortunately, for me, yes. I thought that is what happened to everyone as they got older. I don't want it to be that way. I wish I still enjoyed a dumb thing.
I've stopped and started the first episode of Absolutely Carbonous three times. It feels longer than Clovey P.