March Book Club: The Three-Body Problem

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
FWIW, The Dark Forest clocks in at 400 pages, and Death's End is 592. Longer, but not terribly long.

Whether I get through them this month or not largely depends on school though.

I'd say book two of Expanse is better than one, because in part because drops the detective stuff and gets into the political atmosphere more.
Book 2 killed because of Avasarala.

I tapped out about 5 hours into book 4 of Expanse during the setup of the new characters. Think I would have enjoyed that series better if the main cast POV was through Amos instead of Holden.

Last edited:

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Book 2 killed because of Avasarala.

I tapped out about 5 hours into book 4 of Expanse during the setup of the new characters. Think I would have enjoyed that series better if the main cast POV was through Amos instead of Holden.
Which character, the science got with the missing daughter? Edit: no, he would've been book three I think. Book four is set on the alien planet.

Disagree on the last part insanely.

Falldog

Donator
Reviews and sample don't look good. :(

No, the one you had an issue with.
No I just bailed on the series in general. IIRC each book after the first kind of setup new cast members beyond Holden and his crew. I never really got past the setup of book 4. I had other books of interest queued up and just never went back to The Expanse.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
A little book club biz @HandPanzer....pig has April and Liddy has May, I think active book clubbers like @Falldog, @Stormrider666, @Chip Spackler, and @gorram should have a go after that.

We are trying to do fiction/non fiction every other month but that is about to fall apart.
Totally agree. Some new blood will be good for the variety of book club, too.

Well, it wouldn't be wackbag if everything didn't go to shit.

Chip Spackler

Donator
About 1/5 through The Dark Forest,
and I am even more satisfied with how Ye Wenjie’s character came full circle in The Three-Body Problem: From the events that defined her in the cultural revolution to the intergalactic crisis she herself started.

Last edited:

Falldog

Donator
I'm going to miss Daniels' Da Shi voice going forward.

Falldog

Donator
Have some things to say about TTBP but I'm still a few chapters away from the end. I feel like folks were raving about this book and I don't know why.