Marine Serving in Iraq Finds Friend in Rescued Dog (UPDATED)

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Marine Serving in Iraq Finds Friend in Rescued Dog

SAN DIEGO — It began with a simple act of kindness to save an abused and injured dog from becoming one more victim in the war in Iraq.

But what followed for Marine Maj. Brian Dennis and the mutt was a tale of friendship and loyalty that spanned miles, borders, and overcame long odds — a tale that took a turn Friday with the arrival here of the Marine's best friend.

The dog arrived at San Diego's Lindbergh Field airport at about 4:30 p.m.

"This dog who had been through a lifetime of fighting, war, abuse ... is going to live the good life," Dennis told his family in an e-mail from Iraq.

The tale of friendship unfolded in October, a few months after Dennis deployed to Iraq from San Diego to work as part of the military team building infrastructure along the Syria-Iraq border and training Iraqi forces to take over.

Dennis, 36, of St. Pete Beach, Fla., had volunteered for the assignment. It was a departure from his role as a fighter pilot. He had seen the country from the air. But on the ground, it was different.

Dennis wrote stories home about the reciprocal relationship that desert dogs, strays wandering outside border towns, had with Iraqis.

"The dogs get to eat the Iraqi scraps and have a home in the middle of the desert," he wrote in an e-mail. "The Iraqis get an incredible early warning system; these dogs hear anything approaching from miles away and go nuts and scramble to defend their territory."

While on patrol in the Anbar province, Dennis spotted what appeared to be a gray and white, male German shepherd-border collie mix. He named the dog Nubs after learning someone cut the ears off believing it would make the dog more aggressive and alert.

Within weeks, Nubs was greeting Dennis during routine patrol stops along border communities. The Marines fed him bits of their food and by November, the Marine and his unit were keeping an eye out for the dog, who routinely chased their Humvees when they departed.

Life on the run, however, was taking a toll on the dog. He had lost a tooth and been bitten in the neck. In late December, Dennis found Nubs near death in freezing temperatures. The dog had been stabbed with a screwdriver.

Dennis rubbed antibiotic creme on the wound and slept with Nubs to keep him warm.

"I really expected when I woke up for watch he would be dead," Dennis wrote. "Somehow he made it through the night."

Dennis thought he had seen the last of the dog days later when his squad headed back to their command post some 65 miles away. He couldn't take the dog with him and watched as it tried to follow the Humvees away from the border.

Two days later, while Dennis and a comrade were working on a Humvee, he looked up and saw the dog staring at him.

"Somehow that crazy damned dog tracked us," he wrote Jan. 9.

But the reunion was short lived. Military policy prohibits having pets in war zones, and Dennis was given four days to get the dog off the base or kill him.

The decision was easy: Nubs was going to San Diego. The logistics, though, were anything but easy.

With help from his Iraqi interpreter, Dennis managed to find a Jordanian veterinarian to get the care and paperwork needed to get it to the states. He also negotiated the red tape to get the dog across the border into Jordan.

His family and close friends helped raise the $3,500 needed to get the dog from Amman, Jordan, to San Diego, said his mother, Marsha Cargo.

"I just can't believe it. Out there in the middle of nowhere these two find each other," Cargo said.

A colleague in San Diego agreed to care for the dog and have it trained until Dennis returns in March from Iraq.

"We anticipate a real steep learning curve for Nubs," said Capt. Eric Sjoberg. "We want him to learn to just be a dog."

For now, though, Dennis will settle for the knowledge that Nubs is finally safe — and waiting for his master to follow him.
Note: the guy in the photo is another Marine already back from Iraq who is going to take care of the dog until the dude gets back himself.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I know it's a real situation, I know it actually happened...

The fact that this guy is a Major, and the news actually covered this story, really gives me sort of a PR spin chill from up on high in a command a'la "Wag the Dog".

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I saw this story on the news this morning. Great story.
I know it's a great story... I love my dog, I would kill a human for him.

Why did the media that we all know to be fucking retarded get the tip to cover it? Why did a Major find a stray dog? Majors don't leave the very, very, very safe zones. Why was he in a position to find a stray dog on the streets?

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
OK, that choked me up, hard. Good find Sinn

Just tonight, on the evening news (channel 7 here in NYC) there was a story about a humane associations working to bring to the U.S. dogs that had been adopted by U.S. troops. I'll support that.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I know it's a great story... I love my dog, I would kill a human for him.

Why did the media that we all know to be fucking retarded get the tip to cover it? Why did a Major find a stray dog? Majors don't leave the very, very, very safe zones. Why was he in a position to find a stray dog on the streets?
::cough:: I think mine will kill a human for me eh:) As she does scare ummm severely tanned individuals at her puppy weight of 80 lbs tee hee:)

Oh here is her watching over my buddy's kid...

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
For a moment I thought maybe this story was BS. I was like "What? A nice story coming out of Iraq? Noooo!"

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
I know it's a real situation, I know it actually happened...

The fact that this guy is a Major, and the news actually covered this story, really gives me sort of a PR spin chill from up on high in a command a'la "Wag the Dog".
Jesus fucking Christ.

It's just a fucking human interest story, done to put a smile on your face and make you go "awwwwwww", not to make you sit back and say, "wow, you know all of those reservations and regrets I have about us going into Iraq? Totally gone now!!!"

Not EVERYTHING is a fucking conspiracy by the "military industrial complex".

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Jesus fucking Christ.

It's just a fucking human interest story, done to put a smile on your face and make you go "awwwwwww", not to make you sit back and say, "wow, you know all of those reservations and regrets I have about us going into Iraq? Totally gone now!!!"

Not EVERYTHING is a fucking conspiracy by the "military industrial complex".
I can say I think it's a set up without saying I think it goes all the way back to Watergate where everyone wore foil helmets.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i like my tinfoil hat, it keeps my brain warm

Vyce

Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
I can say I think it's a set up without saying I think it goes all the way back to Watergate where everyone wore foil helmets.
FOR WHAT FUCKING PURPOSE.

To what, shore up support for the war?

You're right, all of those reports coming in about how the surge has worked, and both American military and Iraqi civilian casualty / fatality levels plummeting, that won't do the trick, we need a cute, feelgood story about a Marine and his dog.

Jesus titty-fucking Christ. It's JUST a story. There's NO super-secret, ulterior motive here. No NEOCON CONSPIRACY here.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
FOR WHAT FUCKING PURPOSE.

To what, shore up support for the war?

You're right, all of those reports coming in about how the surge has worked, and both American military and Iraqi civilian casualty / fatality levels plummeting, that won't do the trick, we need a cute, feelgood story about a Marine and his dog.

Jesus titty-fucking Christ. It's JUST a story. There's NO super-secret, ulterior motive here. No NEOCON CONSPIRACY here.
Soldiers aren't political super-geniuses, shit like this is how they get on the news and make "soldier good!" statements from some mid-level PR guy in the command.

I'm not saying it's a fucking neo-conservative support Iraq super-conspiracy, I'm saying it was a few mid level officers who wanted to get a good story on the news. Granted, I do think that the process went "How do we get a good story on the news?", "I know, find a stray dog and send it home with Major xxxx!" No conspiracy, just 2-3 bored officers trying to figure out how to get some guys from command on the news for a quick (stupid) morale boost.

That's fucking it.

Not everything has to be some grandiose fucking idea dude, pop a xanax or something.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
UPDATE: Nubs is reunited with Marine owner

F-18 pilot returns home to canine friend from Iraqi war zone
By Kristina Davis
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

5:22 a.m. March 22, 2008

They spent months in an Iraqi war zone cementing a special bond.

But after more than a month of being apart, Marine Maj. Brian Dennis began to worry if Nubs the dog would still remember him, especially in a new place like San Diego.

Their reunion early Saturday at Camp Pendleton clearly showed otherwise.

The 2-year-old old dog, named for his two nubby ears, drenched Dennis' face with doggie kisses and said hello with excited whimpers.

“You remember that, huh?” Dennis said as he rubbed the dog's head.

Dennis, an F-18 pilot stationed at Miramar Marine Corp Air Station, was among several Marines to return home from a seven-month tour in Iraq early Saturday.

Among those who also returned was a group that fell in love with seven puppies and also had them brought back to San Diego. They plan to reunite with their new dogs at 3 p.m. at the Rancho Coastal Humane Society.

Nubs, a German shepherd/border collie mix, came to San Diego a month earlier after friends, family and complete strangers raised $3,500 for the dog's trip out of Iraq.

“It's almost like 'Lassie Come Home' in Iraq,” said Dennis' mother, Marsha Cargo, who anxiously waited for the unit's arrival in the wee hours of the morning.

Dennis met Nubs in the Al Anbar Province where the dog ran wild at an Iraqi Border Fort. When Nubs was a puppy, an Iraqi sliced off most of his ears in an attempt to make the dog tough and more alert.

Another time, Nubs was stabbed with a screwdriver, and Dennis nursed him back to health.

When Dennis' unit, the Border Transition Team, moved camp 70 miles away, Nubs somehow tracked them to their new location two days later. It was against the rules to keep the dog in camp, and friends jumped in to bring Nubs to San Diego.

“Once he found us there, it seemed like this was supposed to have happened,” Dennis said Saturday. “After he walked all that distance, it seemed like he was supposed to end up in San Diego.”

For the past month, Eric Sjoberg, one of Dennis' Marine buddies, has been caring for Nubs along with Dennis' other dog, Bogey.

Nubs has also been learning new tricks and how to behave in a different environment with some help from a dog trainer.

“After running two years out in the desert, he's got a personality on him,” Sjoberg said.

Dennis said his first outing with Nubs will be a jog on the beach.

“It will consummate the whole journey, going from the sand of Iraq to the sand of San Diego.”

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I was in the military.

I've seen it happen.

All commands have PR officers, this is the sort of thing they do.

It's a great story, I'm sure it really happened.

It didn't happen the way the story tells it, it's a military PR spin.

South Jersey

I told you so ... too
Sep 14, 2004
South Jersey
I was in the military.

I've seen it happen.

:cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3:

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Don't sweat it. You forget, he already has a tinfoil hat. His is special though. It's got a Ron Paul sticker on it. :action-sm

Vyce

Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
I was in the military.

I've seen it happen.

Can you, for ONCE, just cut this bullshit that the government / military is this malevolent beast only out to fuck over or brainwash the American public?

It's a happy story about a fucking DOG. It's going to convince NO ONE to support the war who don't already support it. It's just one of those nice human interest stories about a human falling in love (of sorts) with an animal and rescuing it from a bad situation. THAT'S IT.

Christ, you're tiresome to deal with sometimes.

South Jersey

I told you so ... too
Sep 14, 2004
South Jersey
Can you, for ONCE, just cut this bullshit that the government / military is this malevolent beast only out to fuck over or brainwash the American public?

It's a happy story about a fucking DOG. It's going to convince NO ONE to support the war who don't already support it. It's just one of those nice human interest stories about a human falling in love (of sorts) with an animal and rescuing it from a bad situation. THAT'S IT.

Christ, you're tiresome to deal with sometimes.
Why bother?:arrrh:

Jerry1

Megatron Star!
Jan 26, 2006
Brooklyn, New York
I was in the military.

I've seen it happen.

Yep! And those PR officers have done a great job so far with Iraq huh?

Wonder what happened to the PR guys attacked to the Abu Gharib prison?

Just nice to see a nice story coming out of there. Everytime I hear about Iraq on the news and its usually about how many American soldiers died today and not showing what they are dying for.

Just ridiculous!!:arrrh:

Vyce

Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Yep! And those PR officers have done a great job so far with Iraq huh?

Wonder what happened to the PR guys attacked to the Abu Gharib prison?
Obviously, they should have just released a dog story.

While I'm at it, though - Iraq's only like a thousand percent better than the fucking warzone it was even a YEAR ago. I know the media's doing everything it can to ignore that, because golly, the whole Iraq-actually-working-out thing doesn't do Democrats any favors in an election year, but anyway, I'd imagine Iraq's miraculous turnaround / the success of the Surge might be a better story for the military PR to push to drum up support for Iraq than, I don't, a story about a Marine and his dog. Unless, of course, it is like I said it was, just a story about a Marine and the dog he got to rescue.

I don't know, though, hey, I could be just talking crazy here.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
In spite of some of the debate in this thread, I like this story. I hope that the Marine, his family and Nubs have a long life together. Nubs sounds like an incredible dog, I wish all the best.