Marines not welcome in Berkeley

FellowTraveler

Frank Reynolds is my hero
Jul 24, 2005
More proof that hippies need to be executed in the streets. Maybe we should let Muslim extremest in to **** and behead them. Then they will be screaming for the Marines:

Anti-war protestors outside the Marine recruiting office on Shattuck Avenue in Berkeley Wednesday. (Doug Oakley/MediaNews) BERKELEY — Hey-hey, ho-ho, the Marines in Berkeley have got to go.
That's the message from the Berkeley City Council, which voted 8-1 to tell the U.S. Marines that its Shattuck Avenue recruiting station "is not welcome in the city, and if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome intruders."

In addition, the council voted to explore enforcing its law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation against the Marines because of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. And it officially encouraged the women's peace group Code Pink to impede the work of the Marines in the city by protesting in front of the station.

In a separate item, the council voted 8-1 to give Code Pink a designated parking space in front of the recruiting station once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week from noon to 4 p.m.

Councilman Gordon Wozniak opposed both items.

The Marines have been in Berkeley for a little more than a year, having moved from Alameda in December 2006. For about the past four months, Code Pink has been protesting in front of the station.

"I believe in the Code Pink cause. The Marines don't belong here, they shouldn't have come here, and they should leave," Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates said after votes were cast.

A Marines representative did not respond to requests for comment.The resolution telling the Marines they are unwelcome and directing the city attorney to explore issues of sexual orientation discrimination was brought to the council by the city's Peace and Justice commission.
The recommendation to give Code Pink a parking space for protesting and a free sound permit was brought by council members Linda Maio and Max Anderson.

Code Pink on Wednesday started circulating petitions to put a measure on the November ballot in Berkeley that would make it more difficult to open military recruiting offices near homes, parks, schools, churches libraries or health clinics. The group needs 5,000 signatures to make the ballot.

Even though the council items passed, not everyone is happy with the work of Code Pink. Some employees and owners of businesses near the Marines office have had enough of the group and its protests.

"My husband's business is right upstairs, and this (protesting) is bordering on harassment," Dori Schmidt told the council. "I hope this stops."

An employee of a nearby business who asked not to be identified said Wednesday the elderly Code Pink protesters are aggressive, take up parking spaces, block the sidewalk with their yoga moves, smoke in the doorways, and are noisy.

"Most of the people around here think they're a joke," the woman said.

Wozniak said he was opposed to giving Code Pink a parking space because it favors free speech rights of one group over another.

"There's a line between protesting and harassing, and that concerns me," Wozniak said. "It looks like we are showing favoritism. We have to respect the other side, and not abuse their rights. This is not good policy."

Fran Rachel, 90, a Code Pink protester who spoke at the council meeting, said the group's request for a parking space and noise permit was especially important because the Marines are recruiting soldiers who may die in an unjust war.

"This is very serious," Rachel said. "This isn't a game; it's mass murder. There's a sickness of silence of people not speaking out against the war. We have to do this."

Anderson, a former Marine who said he was "drummed out" of the corps when he took a stand against the Vietnam War, said he'd love to see the Marines high-tail it out of town.

"We are confronted with an organization that can spend billions of dollars on propaganda," Anderson said. "This is not Okinawa here; we're involved in a naked act of aggression. If we can provide a space for ordinary people to express themselves against this kind of barbarity, then we should be doing it."

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
At least the anonymous hippie gets "it".

The city helping Code Pink to protest the Marines is showing favoritism and the antithesis of liberal freedom of speech ideology.

Personally, I value human life and hate to see it destroyed but Berkely and the hippie residents are useless to encouraging freedom. Pursuant to that, I wouldn't shed a tear if they got blown off the map by a terrorist hit.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
It's clearly harrasement. I would agree that these cunts deserve a good pink socking from some uncut unwashed savage. The Marines have every right to use the storefront as any other business in the town.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I do believe that the federal government needs to look into what kinds of funds are being given to the city, and if they can cease said funding.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I do believe that the federal government needs to look into what kinds of funds are being given to the city, and if they can cease said funding.
I agree, just like the federal government has to start cutting funds to universities that don't provide space for ROTC and military recruitment offices. I'm for all individuals having the right to assemble and protest, but for a city council to do is, just wreaks of biased politics.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I hope that if we are ever victimized again by these towel-wearing savages, they decide to attack these assholes in Berkeley.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
I love how they bitch about anything resembling their free speech being hurt, but they've got no problem trying to stifle the government's free speech, i.e. trying to keep them from recruiting somewhere.

Fuck, it's not like the recruiters are running up to people, snatching them and carting them off. Last I heard there was no draft and joining the military was an act of one's free will. I'm going way out on a limb and guessing that the ones signing up with the military recruiters right now, aren't the ones that are drastically opposed to the war in Iraq.

Either way, Berkley is still a shithole. I dread the occasions I have to go to that place. Peace, love, harmony, equality...and, oh yeah extreme hatred of smokers and those that aren't on the revolutionary side of the political spectrum. Such an enlightened group. Yuck.

May 7, 2003
Hicksville NY
I hope Berkley is the next target for terrorism...Nobody would miss any of these faggots

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
I hope that if we are ever victimized again by these towel-wearing savages, they decide to attack these assholes in Berkeley.
I hope Berkley is the next target for terrorism...Nobody would miss any of these faggots
Should it happen, those fuckers wont get any sympathy from me.

Hell, I hope the next "Big One" is centered on Berkeley and it just gets washed into the sea.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
If not terrorists, then I hope they get an outbreak of ebola or a citywide epidemic of asshole cancer.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
May the next wildfire somehow engulf Berkeley and if not then let them fall into the Pacific with the next earthquake. Effing hypocrites.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
After reading all the news articles, I've decided that cancer of the asshole is too good for these shitbags. They deserve something more horrid.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
The true difference is this: the Marines would willingly sacrifice their lives to protect the lives of even these nauseating douchebags, who do not deserve such an honor. Do not even remotely deserve it in the least.

Rattlehead

Hey Asshole Face!
Jan 19, 2008
Hell yeah Cartman needs to bring out the hippie drill.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
So they don't want a town, they want a members only club where no one ever threatens their way of thinking with outside ideas.

That's so cowardly. It's just like a religion. Is their faith in their beliefs SO frail that just seeing or hearing another position's ideas may cause them to change sides?

They're acting like stubborn children.

We ALL wish there was never a need to send our sons and daughters off to die, but reality comes crashing in and we should honor those brave enough to answer the call of duty.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
So they don't want a town, they want a members only club where no one ever threatens their way of thinking with outside ideas.

That's so cowardly. It's just like a religion. Is their faith in their beliefs SO frail that just seeing or hearing another position's ideas may cause them to change sides?

They're acting like stubborn children.

We ALL wish there was never a need to send our sons and daughters off to die, but reality comes crashing in and we should honor those brave enough to answer the call of duty.
DMM, so well said. An encapsulation of everything I was thinking!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Arch Stanton

It's all about the funny!
Nov 22, 2004
Long Island
Well, I say that Berkely is no longer allowed to be a part of The USA.