Cineverse Marvel Cinematic Universe SPOILER filled discussion thread

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Similar to the Game of Thrones thread. I thought it would be good to have one thread to track the interlocking pieces of the MCU and discuss spoilers from the movies and kick around theories as to where it's headed next.

Phase I
Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America
Avengers

Phase II
Iron Man 3
Thor 2
Captain America 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers 2 - 5/1/15

Phase III
Ant Man - 7/17/15
Captain America 3 - 5/6/16
Marvel Untitled - 7/8/16 (This is probably Dr. Strange)
Marvel Untitled - 5/5/17
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 7/28/17
Marvel Untitled - 11/3/17
Marvel Untitled - 5/4/18 (This is probably Avengers: Infinity something)

Phase IV
Marvel Untitled - 7/6/18
Marvel Untitled - 11/2/18
Marvel Untitled -5/3/19

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
So here's what we know: Captain America, Avengers, Thor 2, and Guardians of the Galaxy have all had a MacGuffin in them. These items (The Tesseract from Captain America and Avengers, The Aether from Thor 2, and the Orb from Guardians) represent 3 of the six Infinity Stones of the Marvel Universe.

Thanos and the Collector are both trying to assemble all 6 stones. If you do a bit of color matching, you can theorize that The Tesseract is the Mind Gem, the Aether is the Power Gem, and the Orb is the Space Gem. They don't exactly match up with the powers the gems have in the comics, but they're similar enough I suppose.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
So here's where Piggy gets going with his crazy theories. Depending on whether Loki's scepter is a separate gem or part of the Tesseract, there are either 2 or 3 gems left to introduce in Phase 3.

The Time Gem - there are two possibilities for where and how this could pop up:

Ant Man: We know that Ant Man takes place in two eras: In the 1960's, a young Hank Pym (The Original Ant Man) and Janet Van Dyne (The Wasp) develop a serum that allows them to shrink. In the present, an older Pym, played by Michael Douglas, works with Scott Lang, played by Paul Rudd to steal the formula back from whoever. Lang becomes the new Ant Man. This is the story that Edgar Wright pitched Marvel 8 years ago.

From an interview with Douglas, we know that something bad happened to Janet and their daughter Hope at some point in the past.

So here's a spot where the Time Gem could come into play - Pym might have Lang stealing more than just his shrinking potion. Maybe he wants to use the Time Gem, or whatever it's called in the MCU - to go back and try to save Janet. This is purely speculation on my part, but if that's the case, it also opens the door for either young Hank Pym, Janet Van Dyne, or both to exist in the modern day MCU. It's also my opinion that if this is the case, then we've also discovered the reason why Edgar Wright threw up his hands and told Marvel to fuck off.

The other possibility is that the Time Gem shows up in Captain America 3, and is used to bring The Red Skull back from the seeming dead. I'm sticking with my Ant Man theory for now.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Time gem shows up in Dr. Strange.

Thats my theory.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
The Reality Gem - I'm glad @DR. Jimcy M.E. is reading and hating this thread, because this is sure to piss him off.

My guess is that the Reality Gem will be introduced in the Dr. Strange movie as the Eye of Agamotto:

This is the funky amulet thing that Dr. Strange uses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Agamotto

The Eye can radiate a powerful mystical light that allows Strange to see through all disguises and illusions, see past events, and track both ethereal and corporeal beings by their psychic or magical emissions. The light given off by the Eye also weakens a variety of evil mystical beings, such as demons, devils, undead beings, dark extradimensional entities, and even sufficiently corrupt human practitioners of the Dark Arts. Strange can use it to probe the minds of others, project a powerful mystical shield, and create portals to other dimensions. It has also been used to place beings into suspended animation, and Strange has used its light to levitate objects as heavy as the Hulk and Professor Xavier plus his wheelchair together, or the Thing, with minimal effort while simultaneously magically controlling the Cloak of Levitation to fly himself, carrying a total of at least fifteen hundred pounds, during the early years of the Defenders. The Eye of Agamotto can be used to transport a group of dozens of beings of all kinds and power levels into another point within a universe, as Strange did to combat the threat of Thanos.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
The Soul Gem is often seen stuck to the forehead of a fellow named Adam Warlock:

Warlock showed up in the post credits scene of Thor 2:

That's him in that weird cocoon looking thing in the Collector's...ummm...Collection. For those of you who have seen Guardians, you'll know the Collector's collection was blown up, freeing many of the people he'd collected. I assume we'll find out in Guardians 2 that the cocoon was also freed, and Mr. Warlock may have hatched from it. Whether the Soul Gem will be stuck to his forehead or not, I think it's a pretty good guess that it will feature in Guardians 2.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
I assume we'll find out in Guardians 2 that the cocoon was also freed, and Mr. Warlock may have hatched from it.
I read somewhere that you can see the opened cocoon in the post-credits scene after Guardians. I didn't see it myself, but I wasn't looking for it either.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I read somewhere that you can see the opened cocoon in the post-credits scene after Guardians. I didn't see it myself, but I wasn't looking for it either.
I didn't notice it, but my theory is that him coming out of the cocoon was the original post credits scene or maybe a mid credits scene in case they didn't make Guardians 2 before Avengers 3 came out. After they decided they were making Guardians 2 for sure, they decided to cut it/save it.

It's also my theory that Warlock is going to turn out to be Star Lord's father. He probably will be shown emerging from the cocoon as a being "made of pure light", the way Star Lord's mom described him in Guardians.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I think we'll get a Thor 3 as part of Phase 3 as well. If this happens Avengers 3 will be the last movie in the contracts of Chris Evans (Captain America), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), and Robert Downey Jr (Iron Man). That way Avengers 3 can wrap up the story for many of the characters introduced in Phase I and provide a clean break for the Big 3.

It will be interesting to see where they go from there. They can either recast or just give those characters a break while they continue the Avengers movies with other characters. By that point there will be plenty to choose from. They could easily go more cosmic with Phase IV by introducing Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, the Inhumans, etc and making Guardians 3 the final movie of that Phase. I think they were/are hoping that Fox gives them back the rights to the Fantastic Four so they can be incorporated at some point.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Bruce Willis is fucking dead the entire time!

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
how many phases are we gonna get exactly?

We need another Hulk movie

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
Aug 31, 2009
Scotland
I think we'll get a Thor 3 as part of Phase 3 as well. If this happens Avengers 3 will be the last movie in the contracts of Chris Evans (Captain America), Chris Hemsworth (Thor), and Robert Downey Jr (Iron Man). That way Avengers 3 can wrap up the story for many of the characters introduced in Phase I and provide a clean break for the Big 3.

It will be interesting to see where they go from there. They can either recast or just give those characters a break while they continue the Avengers movies with other characters. By that point there will be plenty to choose from. They could easily go more cosmic with Phase IV by introducing Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, the Inhumans, etc and making Guardians 3 the final movie of that Phase. I think they were/are hoping that Fox gives them back the rights to the Fantastic Four so they can be incorporated at some point.
Kill cap, restrict thors PCT (get it then he'll get tits and be a woman) and bring back Downey for Iron Man 4 Or have War Machine as Iron Man then they can potentially have a Black cap, female Thor and black Iron Man.

I think they'd be more hoping Sony dont completely murder spiderman so they can maybe get him back one day

edzeppe

Dec 11, 2004
The biggest problem I have following all of this is that my entire comic book knowledge comes from SuperHero Squad.

Dec 12, 2007
The Reality Gem - I'm glad @DR. Jimcy M.E. is reading and hating this thread
Not so much the thread, but the fact that everyone who reads wiki pages and sees comic movies thinks they're a god dam comic book expert.

5 or 6 years ago this whole board would gang up to yell at me for going to in depth about back story.

Now you jackasses are worse than I was.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Not so much the thread, but the fact that everyone who reads wiki pages and sees comic movies thinks they're a god dam comic book expert.

5 or 6 years ago this whole board would gang up to yell at me for going to in depth about back story.

Now you jackasses are worse than I was.
I think it's just me that's worse than you. I was an avid comic book reader during Marvel's comeback and expansion in the early to mid 80's. This:

Was the very first comic book I ever "acquired" on my own. I checked it our from our Bookmobile and I've had it ever since. I had leafed through a few Star Wars comics beforehand but this was the one that got me full on into it.

Marvel got fucking weird in the mid 90's, especially with Iron Man and the Avengers, turning Tony Stark into a little kid before rebooting all their Avengers and FF series entirely. (But not Spider-Man or X-Men?!?) I bailed when the rumors started swirling that they were going to cancel all their series. My Iron Man and Avengers runs both ended about 6 months before the whole "Heroes Reborn" bullshit. My brother kept going. He told me they had finally turned things around with Extremis and Civil War, but I held out until after they announced Avengers. Then I went back and plugged that gap between 1995 and 2010.

I'm still catching up on reading them, but if it involved The Avengers between 1979 and 1993, I know all about it. The Infinity Gauntlet came out in 1991, so obviously that's right in my childhood geekdom wheelhouse.

For anyone that hasn't read The Infinity Gauntlet, it's readily available in TPB form. Not only does it involve Thanos and many of the characters from the MCU in a story that will provide at least part of the basis for the upcoming movies, but it's written by Jim Starlin, who created or developed many of the characters and (mostly) drawn by George Perez, the premiere comic book artist of the 1980's.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I like the idea piggy. Good jorb

Dec 12, 2007
I think it's just me that's worse than you.
OH BULLSHIT! (unreasonable internet guy)

I remember Liddy was always giving me an earful when I would start mentioning how I wanted movies more similar to the comics.

Now thats not such a far off thought, but back in the day when Bryan Singer was considered a good comic film maker it seemed like fantasy land.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
By the way Jimcy, if you ever do much reading, I recommend checking this book out:

http://seanhowe.com/Marvel.html

I'm about halfway through and it's outstanding. A lot of it is stuff I knew or had heard, but there are lots of nuggets in there and by and legend the author does a great job of telling both versions of events.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
The folks at deadline.com put together this nifty little grid. @NeonTaster said 2014 was Marvel's best year yet. I've seen folks take it one step further by saying 2014 has been the best year yet for Comic Book Movies in general, surpassing 2008's Iron Man/Hulk/TDK combo and 2012's Avengers/TDKR/TASM.

So the questions are: What will be the next big year, and what year could things go so wrong that the bubble bursts? In spite of it being a strong year for these types of movies in terms of critic and audience reviews, this summer's box office is -17.9% from last year. Sony was so disgusted with TASM2's performance that they pushed out TASM3 by two years and cancelled TASM4. So maybe it's already started?

Despite the presence of Avengers 2, next year looks a little light, with only 3 major comic book adaptations, two of which have had all kinds of problems.

A few folks have wondered at DC starting their aggressive 10 movie plan with what many consider the high water mark of their comic book history. Their loose adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns, combined with a Captain America 3 that is rumored to be even more Avengery than Cap 2, and what could be the conclusion of a 15 year story arc in X-Men Apocalypse gives 2016 a chance to eclipse 2014 - And there are 3 more movies on top of that.

2017 has a ridiculous NINE major movies scheduled, only one of which seems like a sure thing to even get made.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
The folks at deadline.com put together this nifty little grid. @NeonTaster said 2014 was Marvel's best year yet. I've seen folks take it one step further by saying 2014 has been the best year yet for Comic Book Movies in general, surpassing 2008's Iron Man/Hulk/TDK combo and 2012's Avengers/TDKR/TASM.

So the questions are: What will be the next big year, and what year could things go so wrong that the bubble bursts? In spite of it being a strong year for these types of movies in terms of critic and audience reviews, this summer's box office is -17.9% from last year. Sony was so disgusted with TASM2's performance that they pushed out TASM3 by two years and cancelled TASM4. So maybe it's already started?

Despite the presence of Avengers 2, next year looks a little light, with only 3 major comic book adaptations, two of which have had all kinds of problems.

A few folks have wondered at DC starting their aggressive 10 movie plan with what many consider the high water mark of their comic book history. Their loose adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns, combined with a Captain America 3 that is rumored to be even more Avengery than Cap 2, and what could be the conclusion of a 15 year story arc in X-Men Apocalypse gives 2016 a chance to eclipse 2014 - And there are 3 more movies on top of that.

2017 has a ridiculous NINE major movies scheduled, only one of which seems like a sure thing to even get made.

While I think 2014 maybe Marvel's best year yet, I still think that 2008 is not only the best year for comic book movies, but the most important one as well. Both Iron Man and The Dark Knight revitalize the genre. A genre that was basically on life support when those movies were released.

You know that grid really is handy. I lost track of when some of these movies were supposed to come out. I'm talking about the ones that are to be released before 2018. "Untitled" means nothing to me at this point.

I think the next big year will be 2016. As much as I'm still not too excited about Beavis, one can't deny the significance of those two characters being on the big screen for the first time ever.

As for the year things go wrong and the bubble bursts? You maybe right about it has already started. While I still believe the shitty weather during the latter months of spring/early summer played a part in the drop from last year, some of the movies were definitely hurt by weak word of mouth.

But if I was to pick a year, it would be 2017. Outside of GOTG II, none of those movies sound interesting to me.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Pigdango said:
So we're going to get Venom Carnage (not Venom/Carnage, but Venom Carnage) before the next Spidey movie? Jesus Sony. Let's get Aunt May into production.

But if I was to pick a year, it would be 2017. Outside of GOTG II, none of those movies sound interesting to me.
It's hard to judge when most of the stuff are "Untitled."