Cineverse Marvel Cinematic Universe SPOILER filled discussion thread

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
I've rewatched very few MCU films, but I want to give Ragnorak and Strange another go. Ragnorak because it might be my favorite Marvel of the past several years, and Strange because of the "better the second time" according to Crip, plus he's probably in my Top 5 MCU characters now.

Don't do a Top 5/10 List. You want to. That seed is in your head. Crush it.

But I did see IW and DP2 twice in theaters.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I've rewatched very few MCU films, but I want to give Ragnorak and Strange another go. Ragnorak because it might be my favorite Marvel of the past several years, and Strange because of the "better the second time" according to Crip, plus he's probably in my Top 5 MCU characters now.

I do believe it's on the Netflix right now.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator

I won’t do a list, but I am wondering how crip ended up in your top 5...

mascan42

Spider-man casting:
deadline.com
J.B. Smoove Joins ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ Cast

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures has set J.B. Smoove to star in Spider-Man: Far from Home, sources said. Sony would not comment and nobody would divulge Smoove’s role but I’m told it is a lead in the ensemble. So far, he’s the first new cast member to be set beyond Jake Gyllenhaal, who is expected to play the villain Mysterio.

Jon Watts is directing, and Tom Holland returns as the webslinger, with Michael Keaton, Zendaya and Marisa Tomei expected to reprise. The film is dated for July 5, 2019. Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal are producing.

Smoove will shoot his role before returning to his regular role in Larry David’s Curb Your Enthusiasm. He’s repped by UTA, Authentic’s Rick Dorfman and attorney Roger Pliakas.

Spider-Man Homecoming grossed $334.2 million domestically and $880.1 million worldwide after it bowed in July 2017.

BIV

That's not how you spell "smooth".

Pigdango

Donator
Well since Liddy has fired me from HitW, I might as well tag the only friend I have left here @Stormrider666 for our favorite pastime - making the list!

The Marvel Cinematic Universe - 20 films of greatness, goodness, goofiness, and okness!

1. Captain America: Civil War
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Infinity War
  4. Iron Man
  5. Avengers
  6. Thor Ragnarok
  7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  8. Spider-Man Homecoming
  9. Doctor Strange
  10. Captain America
  11. Thor the First Thor
  12. Black Panther
  13. Ant Man
  14. Incredible Hulk
  15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  16. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
  17. Thor the Second Thor
  18. Ant Man and the Wasp
  19. Iron Man 2
  20. Iron Man 3

LiddyRules

Well since Liddy has fired me from HitW, I might as well tag the only friend I have left here @Stormrider666 for our favorite pastime - making the list!

The Marvel Cinematic Universe - 20 films of greatness, goodness, goofiness, and okness!

2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Infinity War
  4. Iron Man
  5. Avengers
  6. Thor Ragnarok
  7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  8. Spider-Man Homecoming
  9. Doctor Strange
  10. Captain America
  11. Thor the First Thor
  12. Black Panther
  13. Ant Man
  14. Incredible Hulk
  15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  16. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
  17. Thor the Second Thor
  18. Ant Man and the Wasp
  19. Iron Man 2
  20. Iron Man 3
Why did I choose a well regarded movie? Is it too late to change it? Kingsman 2?

@Pigdango.

2. Infinity War
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Avengers
5. Iron Man
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. Thor: Ragnarok
8. Black Panther
9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
10. Ant Man
11. Doctor Strange
12. Captain America
13. The Incredible Hulk
14. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
15. Age of Ultron
16. Ant Man and The Wasp
17. Thor
18. Iron Man 2
19. Thor: The Dark World
20. Iron Man 3

Pigdango

Donator
@Pigdango.

2. Infinity War
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Avengers
5. Iron Man
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. Thor: Ragnarok
8. Black Panther
9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
10. Ant Man
11. Doctor Strange
12. Captain America
13. The Incredible Hulk
14. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
15. Age of Ultron
16. Ant Man and The Wasp
17. Thor
18. Iron Man 2
19. Thor: The Dark World
20. Iron Man 3
We have the same number 1 and the same number 20 so that's something.

Let's talk about the differences. It's possible I'm being unfair to some of these movies.

You've got Guardians 1 a lot lower than me, while I have Winter Solder a lot lower than you. I think I have a bit of a grudge against Winter Soldier because I felt like that and Age of Ultron were deliberate attempts by the movie division to fuck over the TV division. I know about the feud between Feige and Perlmutter, but I thought that was pretty low rent. That being said, it was also low rent for the TV division to fuck up the Inhumans to the point where they had to cancel the movie. So anything tainted by the sloppy crossovers between the two gets marked down a bit for me.

You've got Black Panther higher than me. I've only seen it once, but that third act was so brutally bad it ruined what had been to that point a very interesting movie. Maybe I should give it another go, but that's the other thing - I've had no desire at all to rewatch it, which is unusual for a Marvel movie.

You've got Thor the First Thor way lower than me. That movie got a lot better for me when I rewatched it leading up to Infinity War. The most remarkable thing about the Marvel movies is how consistent their characters are AND how much they change. I know that sounds stupid, but if you were to take the time to watch Thor 1-3 and Avengers 1-3 in sequence you get a consistent, believable performance from Hemsworth at Thor while he goes through massive changes.

Compare him here with the scene from Infinity War with Rabbit:
So for all their problems, the great acting and incredible character work in the two Thor movies elevate them a bit for me.

Civil War doesn't belong on top and you both have The Incredible Hulk way too high up.

Was Ant Man & The Wasp really that bad? Yikes.

BIV

Civil War doesn't belong on top and you both have The Incredible Hulk way too high up.

Was Ant Man & The Wasp really that bad? Yikes.
No, it wasn't even close to being bad. It was great fun. About mid tier.

LiddyRules

Numerically ranking movies is still retarded. Tiers4lyfe!
If I tried to rank them, I'd probably last for about three minutes before getting bored and getting distracted by something else.

But I still think they rank Civil War way too high.

BIV

Any list that doesn't have Dark World dead last is a bad list.

Here is my thinking when I'm numerically ranking movies. When it comes to the 6-10 range, the difference between those movies is usually slight enough that their ranking can change with a re-watch. While they weren't great enough to crack the top 5, there wasn't enough of reason for them to the fall out of the top 10.

The 11-15 range is where its get tricky. While those movies are very good, there was just something about them that kept them from being in the top 10. But occasionally, I can think of reasons to flip #'s 10 and 11. These are the ones that should be considered mid tier.

When it comes to Ant Man and the Wasp. It wasn't a bad movie. But I thought there were enough flaws to keep out of the top 15.

When it comes to the MCU, I don't think there isn't much of drop off between #'s 16-18. But there is a significant drop off after that. I have seen The Dark World twice and that was enough for me. I have no desire to ever watch Iron Man 3 again.

HandPanzer

Lo Efímero
It's My Birthday!
Here is my thinking when I'm numerically ranking movies. When it comes to the 6-10 range, the difference between those movies is usually slight enough that their ranking can change with a re-watch. While they weren't great enough to crack the top 5, there wasn't enough of reason for them to the fall out of the top 10.
Aren't you sort of describing a tier system here, though? Movies in the 6-10 range would be tier 2 and top 5 would be tier 1. Ranking them numerically--as in #1, #2, etc.--doesn't make a lot of sense to me because it's impossible to point to something concrete that makes the #1 movie better than the #2, but it's easier to see the difference between a truly great movie (tier 1) and a good movie (tier 2).

I guess what I'm trying to point out is, if, as you say, 6-10 are essentially interchangeable, doesn't that render the numbers meaningless?