Cineverse Marvel Cinematic Universe SPOILER filled discussion thread

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Here is my thinking when I'm numerically ranking movies. When it comes to the 6-10 range, the difference between those movies is usually slight enough that their ranking can change with a re-watch. While they weren't great enough to crack the top 5, there wasn't enough of reason for them to the fall out of the top 10.

The 11-15 range is where its get tricky. While those movies are very good, there was just something about them that kept them from being in the top 10. But occasionally, I can think of reasons to flip #'s 10 and 11. These are the ones that should be considered mid tier.

When it comes to Ant Man and the Wasp. It wasn't a bad movie. But I thought there were enough flaws to keep out of the top 15.

When it comes to the MCU, I don't think there isn't much of drop off between #'s 16-18. But there is a significant drop off after that. I have seen The Dark World twice and that was enough for me. I have no desire to ever watch Iron Man 3 again.
The Ant-man movies should be right next to each other. AMatW was just an extension of the first film with a better villain.

Hulk anywhere beyond the bottom 3-5 is an insult to the other films

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
Aren't you sort of describing a tier system here, though? Movies in the 6-10 range would be tier 2 and top 5 would be tier 1. Ranking them numerically--as in #1, #2, etc.--doesn't make a lot of sense to me because it's impossible to point to something concrete that makes the #1 movie better than the #2, but it's easier to see the difference between a truly great movie (tier 1) and a good movie (tier 2).

I guess what I'm trying to point out is, if, as you say, 6-10 are essentially interchangeable, doesn't that render the numbers meaningless?
You make a good point. So if I can change one thing about my original post, I would consider the movies in the 6-10 range as very good and the ones in 11-15 as good. I think it would be a lot easier to see difference between those three types of movies.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
The Ant-man movies should be right next to each other. AMatW was just an extension of the first film with a better villain.

Hulk anywhere beyond the bottom 3-5 is an insult to the other films
While AMatW had the better villain(s), Ant Man was a better movie.

There is no way the Incredible Hulk is in the same category as The Dark World, Iron Mans 2 or 3.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
We have the same number 1 and the same number 20 so that's something.

Let's talk about the differences. It's possible I'm being unfair to some of these movies.

You've got Guardians 1 a lot lower than me, while I have Winter Solder a lot lower than you. I think I have a bit of a grudge against Winter Soldier because I felt like that and Age of Ultron were deliberate attempts by the movie division to fuck over the TV division. I know about the feud between Feige and Perlmutter, but I thought that was pretty low rent. That being said, it was also low rent for the TV division to fuck up the Inhumans to the point where they had to cancel the movie. So anything tainted by the sloppy crossovers between the two gets marked down a bit for me.

You've got Black Panther higher than me. I've only seen it once, but that third act was so brutally bad it ruined what had been to that point a very interesting movie. Maybe I should give it another go, but that's the other thing - I've had no desire at all to rewatch it, which is unusual for a Marvel movie.

You've got Thor the First Thor way lower than me. That movie got a lot better for me when I rewatched it leading up to Infinity War. The most remarkable thing about the Marvel movies is how consistent their characters are AND how much they change. I know that sounds stupid, but if you were to take the time to watch Thor 1-3 and Avengers 1-3 in sequence you get a consistent, believable performance from Hemsworth at Thor while he goes through massive changes.

Compare him here with the scene from Infinity War with Rabbit:
So for all their problems, the great acting and incredible character work in the two Thor movies elevate them a bit for me.
I see what you're saying about Hemsworth and Thor. While I do have those movies ranked lower than you do, he is not the reason why.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aren't you sort of describing a tier system here, though? Movies in the 6-10 range would be tier 2 and top 5 would be tier 1. Ranking them numerically--as in #1, #2, etc.--doesn't make a lot of sense to me because it's impossible to point to something concrete that makes the #1 movie better than the #2, but it's easier to see the difference between a truly great movie (tier 1) and a good movie (tier 2).

I guess what I'm trying to point out is, if, as you say, 6-10 are essentially interchangeable, doesn't that render the numbers meaningless?
Unless somehow within the tier, there's ranking. You can say 'Thor Ragnarok and Dr. Strange belong in the same tier' but then at the same time say "But I did like Dr. Strange a little better than Thor."

I guess that's just regular numbering again.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
While AMatW had the better villain(s), Ant Man was a better movie.

There is no way the Incredible Hulk is in the same category as The Dark World, Iron Mans 2 or 3.
It absolutely is.

16. IM 2
17. Hulk
18. Thor
19. IM 3
20. Dark World

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Civil War doesn't belong on top and you both have The Incredible Hulk way too high up.

Was Ant Man & The Wasp really that bad? Yikes.
You should watch Incredible Hulk again. It’s a really solid movie with a great third act.

And yes, Ant Man and the Wasp was pretty bad for a Marvel movie. Nowhere near as good as the first one.

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
What? Who? When? Why?
http://www.darkhorizons.com/cate-shortland-set-to-direct-marvels-black-widow/

She was rumored a few weeks back and now she’s set – Australian filmmaker Cate Shortland has signed on to direct the Scarlett Johansson-led “Black Widow” standalone movie at Marvel Studios.

Marvel reportedly meet with over seventy potential directors for the film, taking over half a year to find its ideal candidate. Johansson was a fan and helped push the director who helmed the 2004’s acclaimed Sam Worthington drama “Somersault” and 2012’s Nazi drama “Lore”, and most recently directed “Berlin Syndrome” last year.

Jac Schaeffer wrote the most recent draft for the “Black Widow” film with the action reportedly set before the events of the first “Avengers” movie. The project will be Marvel’s second female-centric movie after next year’s “Captain Marvel” opening in March.

NuttyJim

James Gunn Fired From ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Franchise Over Offensive Tweets – Deadline

REX/Shutterstock

James Gunn has been removed as director of the Guardians Of The Galaxy series after a batch of old social media dispatches were unearthed that touched on areas like pedophilia and ****. In the latest shocking #metoo development in the entertainment industry, Gunn was severed from the Marvel Comics Universe after a slew of social media posts he wrote before getting Guardians of the Galaxy surfaced. According to Fox News, they were posted because Gunn is an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump and the effort was to knock him down a few pegs.

Mission accomplished. Gunn has long been a provocateur who has drawn ire in the past for his unusual humor. Among the tweets that forced Disney and Marvel’s hand were: “I like when little boys touch me in my silly place.”

Another: “The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!’” There were others that made satirical comments about the 9/11 attack, AIDS and the Holocaust.

Disney responded quickly and decisively: “The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” said Alan Horn, Walt Disney Studios chairman, in a statement just released.

Since the fall of Harvey Weinstein, a heightened level of sensitivity in Hollywood has led to one headline after another, from Scarlett Johansson withdrawing from playing a transgender character in the $30 million New Regency film Rub & Tug, to Paramount TV chief Amy Powell being fired for alleged racially insensitive statements. This was just the past nine days.

The idea of being held to task for old social media posts might be new to Hollywood, but we see it rear up all the time in sports, most recently when all-star Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Josh Hader was forced to apologize for old homophobic and racist posts made while he was in high school in 2012.

Here is Gunn defending the prior tweets, which were captured by Fox News before his Twitter feed was taken down.

1. Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor.
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
2. It’s not to say I’m better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it’s shocking and trying to get a reaction are over.
4. For the record, when I made these shocking jokes, I wasn’t living them out. I know this is a weird statement to make, and seems obvious, but, still, here I am, saying it.
5. Anyway, that’s the completely honest truth: I used to make a lot of offensive jokes. I don’t anymore. I don’t blame my past self for this, but I like myself more and feel like a more full human being and creator today. Love you to you all.
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018​

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
I laugh when someone like James Gunn wags their finger yet when it's his turn in the barrel it's "no wait, my words are defensible".

DiggerNick

Donator
James Gunn is being truthful in that he delighted in saying outrageous things just to get a reaction. He was the wacky, foul-mouthed guy in any room. Why else do you explain his hair?