Cineverse Marvel Cinematic Universe SPOILER filled discussion thread

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Shelving X-Men is idiotic. It's a damned shame they couldn't get their ducks in a row to have had the Jackman/Stewart/McKellen continuity merged into Downey/Evans/Hemsworth, but to even shelve the McAvoy timeline? What, reboot a third time? I think they will then burnout the X franchise for even longer if they try. There will be fatigue, and I'm not convinced F4 has survived its own either.

By the way, are they killing Legion as a series intentionally like the Netflix shows? Damned shame either way.
With all due respect, you are being a silly goose.

The Hugh Jackman XCU is not redeemable and should not be part of the MCU.

We look at the First Class timeline with rose colored glasses. They are so much better than the other movies....but they're not good.

The only one that kind of holds up is DoFP...and that one just barely.

You really want Dark Phoenix part of the MCU?

Well, and Logan. Obviously.

And no, they shouldn't just jump into a reboot of the "X-Men". They should just slowly start introducing mutants as side characters and make reference to others and the X-Men in general. Maybe drop one into Spiderman 3 or Thor 4 with a post credits scene of the mutant being recruited by Professor X.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I believe so. Also, David is getting so powerful, it's difficult to see where the show can go longer term. I'm fine with a solid 3.
I hope he goes back in time and accidentally kills Professor X, leaving Magneto to form the X-Men. That is the only acceptable outcome.

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple

We look at the First Class timeline with rose colored glasses. They are so much better than the other movies....but they're not good.

And no, they shouldn't just jump into a reboot of the "X-Men". They should just slowly start introducing mutants as side characters and make reference to others and the X-Men in general. Maybe drop one into Spiderman 3 or Thor 4 with a post credits scene of the mutant being recruited by Professor X.
First Class is still the best. DoFP is still decent.

But I agree with most of what else you said. If they're trying to bring the X-Men into the fold, having them stuck with all the baggage of the previous 2 decades would be a hindrance way more than a benefit. As much as people might like McKellan and Stewart, (a) the novelty will wear off, (b) they don't like them that much, and (c) they're really old. And tonally those movies are completely wrong, both with the MCU and with what superhero movies are now.

I wonder if X-Force/Deadpool can be the bridge between the two franchises. Or if they'll do something at the end of Dark Phoenix like having everyone snapped.

I don't think they should sit Pool/Force out for too long, but I think they need to come up with a good way to revitalize the X-series and the only way they can do that is starting anew - with people who actually understand the characters. And coming up with a reason why we haven't heard about them until now. Unless they decide not to bring the X-Men into the Avengers MCU and set them in their own universe until the eventual crossover. Because there's a lot they could do with X-Men (a universe onto itself, if you don't mind my saying) but they never did.

But they should wait several years and focus on the F4.

Discoman

Donator
I think the revamped timeline had a better run than the original series, which only had X2 as a truly good movie. I agree Disney is better to scrap and try it again, its kind of a problem to suddenly introduce mutants into that universe while Fantastic 4's entry would be a bit more seemless.

Yeah let's go back to maintaining those established boundaries of television.
Isn't a television series staying on the air longer than it should an established boundary of television? Especially a show that was only supposed to air for one season to begin with.

It would be great if the snap allowed Disney to revamp/retool the X-men. There are obviously bright spots in what Fox has done, and we could eliminate the bad baggage and build on the good.

Otherwise just keep them separate universes, and let X-men peter out for another 20 years or so.

BIV

which only had X2 as a truly good movie
About that....
Please refer to my post to liddy.

It would be great if the snap allowed Disney to revamp/retool the X-men. There are obviously bright spots in what Fox has done, and we could eliminate the bad baggage and build on the good.

Otherwise just keep them separate universes, and let X-men peter out for another 20 years or so.
There have been to many earth shattering events in both series for them to ever be related.

There would have to be far too much backtracking for the X-Men to be anything other than trying to stay hidden at this point.

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple

Outside of the Pooliverse, what is there worth preserving? What good is there? Some of the casting? Not even most of the casting. Did any of the New Class stand out? Certainly not Cyclops or Jean. I want to say of the younglings Nightcrawler but have no idea why. McAvoy has better to do. Fassbender has nothing else to do. Hoult is fair but not a franchise savior. Olivia Munn?

Outside of the Pooliverse, what is there worth preserving? What good is there? Some of the casting? Not even most of the casting. Did any of the New Class stand out? Certainly not Cyclops or Jean. I want to say of the younglings Nightcrawler but have no idea why. McAvoy has better to do. Fassbender has nothing else to do. Hoult is fair but not a franchise savior. Olivia Munn?
I think McAvoy and Fassbender are standouts. I'd like to see Munn's Psylocke and Dafne Keen's X-23 brought into the fold. Other than them and the Pool people, we can nuke it and go from there

BIV

She was straight up banging in Apocalypse, yo.
Her acting made Larson's acting in the commercials look expressive and engaging. They should consider hiring actresses instead of models.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Yeah let's go back to maintaining those established boundaries of television.
Knowing a show has a short, fixed run and wasn’t canceled for ratings reasons makes me more interested in it.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator

I don’t agree with all of this, but I believe in enough of it. There is nothing at all salvageable about the Fox X-Men.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Knowing a show has a short, fixed run and wasn’t canceled for ratings reasons makes me more interested in it.
When you watch it, you might get why more of it is what's called for.

But they should wait several years and focus on the F4.
I still think F4 is unrecoverable.

BIV

Except that Marvel has already established SM as a neo-Avenger. What use does he have with this other crazy super team?
They have a long history of working together. Them being based in New York and all.

I picture F4 seeking HIM out for some reason orrrrrrrrr he needs Mr. Fantastic's expertise orrrrrrrr he is fighting someone and one of them also shows up orrrrrrrr.....