Cineverse Marvel Cinematic Universe SPOILER filled discussion thread

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Any non-X-men characters you guys are hoping to see in the MCU?

Personally, I'm still hoping for Beta Ray Bill or Shadow Knight. More than anything else because I love the character designs.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Any non-X-men characters you guys are hoping to see in the MCU?

Personally, I'm still hoping for Beta Ray Bill or Shadow Knight. More than anything else because I love the character designs.
Who the hell is Shadow Knight?

Beta Ray Bill could pop up in Thor 4 I suppose, but I think it’s unlikely.

I’m really surprised Marvel is pushing ahead with shit like Eternals and Shang Chi now that they have the FF and X-Men back. Even if they didn’t want to dive right into Wolverine and Cyclops and the ones who have been done to death in the movies, there are still tons of X-Men that have either not been in the films or have been done so badly nobody would blink at a redo.

The FF is really where it’s at, though. Not just for the FF themselves, but all the villains and supporting characters they unlock.

BIV

I’m really surprised Marvel is pushing ahead with shit like Eternals and Shang Chi now that they have the FF and X-Men back
I've seen and heard theories and rumors, that aren't worth shit, that they are a bit worried about how large the MCU has gotten. So they're going to separate it out into different tracks.

For example a cosmic track (guardians, thor, elementals), a more grounded track (Shangi Chi, Widow, etc), and an Earth's Mightiest Heroes track. With the X-men possibly being a fourth. Most of the crossover would remain, for the most part, in the individual tracks. With, of course, huge massive events like Avengers or something.

That could explain characters like Shang Chi. We'd probably be seeing a Daredevil or Iron Fist movie if they hadn't already use them on Netflix.

BIV

That brings up another issue. When they have event movies that include the X-men, do they keep the Avengers branding?

Pigdango

Donator
That brings up another issue. When they have event movies that include the X-men, do they keep the Avengers branding?
As you said, the universe may be too big for too many things like that, but I suppose it depends on the story. Will they do a version of AvX? That already has Avengers in it. Will the Russos, Evans, RDJ, etc really come back in 5 years to do Secret Wars? I don’t see that with Avengers branding.

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
As you said, the universe may be too big for too many things like that, but I suppose it depends on the story. Will they do a version of AvX? That already has Avengers in it. Will the Russos, Evans, RDJ, etc really come back in 5 years to do Secret Wars? I don’t see that with Avengers branding.
I've said that I would see the X-Men in an A adjacent pocket universe.

But here's my actual question. I know nothing about Martial Arts Guy. Which of the MCU characters (other than Ward) would be most likely to cross paths with him?

Pigdango

Donator
I've said that I would see the X-Men in an A adjacent pocket universe.

But here's my actual question. I know nothing about Martial Arts Guy. Which of the MCU characters (other than Ward) would be most likely to cross paths with him?
I think he’s been involved with SHIELD quite a bit, and has had some brief, unmemorable stints in The Avengers.

I really don’t see how he fits in to all this, but we will see.

LiddyRules

I think he’s been involved with SHIELD quite a bit, and has had some brief, unmemorable stints in The Avengers.

I really don’t see how he fits in to all this, but we will see.
I know people are doing the First Asian Lead Superhero Groundbreaking AF gimmick, but it's because Marvel is down to D tier characters until they figure out what to do with the Foxes. Unless this has The Raid level choreography, who cares? The only people excited about this are the "I know more the Marvels than you" assholes. Like @BIV

If anything, it's further reinforcing my belief that Iron Fist should have been Asian.

BIV

I know people are doing the First Asian Lead Superhero Groundbreaking AF gimmick, but it's because Marvel is down to D tier characters until they figure out what to do with the Foxes. Unless this has The Raid level choreography, who cares? The only people excited about this are the "I know more the Marvels than you" assholes. Like @BIV

If anything, it's further reinforcing my belief that Iron Fist should have been Asian.
That's not me. Before the MCU, my knowledge of Marvel was completely in relation to the X-Men and Spiderman. I always thought the Avengers were dorky.

That's not me. Before the MCU, my knowledge of Marvel was completely in relation to the X-Men and Spiderman. I always thought the Avengers were dorky.
Same....X-Men was my go to comic. Avengers and Fantastic Four felt like old fogey comics. I knew who they were but it seemed like the stories were far too advanced to catch up on.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Same....X-Men was my go to comic. Avengers and Fantastic Four felt like old fogey comics. I knew who they were but it seemed like the stories were far too advanced to catch up on.
Shit, I’m the same as you guys. Were we all doing the same thing? We’re a bunch of hacks.

Pigdango

Donator

I’ve thought about it quite a bit, and I can’t think of a way to make Shang Chi interesting. It’s not that he’s Asian, it’s that he has no powers, and in every comic I’ve ever read with him in it, no personality.

The problem with comics is that it feels like it is a speeding train and if you jump on now, you have no idea what's going on or what happened, so you talk yourself out of it. There's not really a good time to start reading unless you're willing to go way back

DR. Jimcy M.E.

I bring love and cheer.
I’ve thought about it quite a bit, and I can’t think of a way to make Shang Chi interesting.
Don't worry, American Asians will see anything with other Asians enough to make it a success. Actual Asians in Asia like white people movies or movies from their Asian country more.

Chinese people said Captain Marvel was a "da-ma", which is a middle aged house wife, and Black Panther was "torture to the eyes". I seriously love how much they don't give a shit about our Western non-sense. They'll just keep spit roasting dogs and grinding up tiger dick medicine till the end of time.

LiddyRules

Kung Fu hasn't been interesting since 1975. Over the past 40 years, it had one brief resurgence.

The idea of "Kung fu" has always felt like a hokey, white person simplification of all martial arts - because that's kind of what it was, and it's not that interesting. Like I said with Iron Fist, it was never meant to be some respectful acknowledgment of a culture. It was a bunch of coked up writers in the 70s coming off a 24 hour Bruce Lee binge. But while Iron Fist managed to create a mythology for itself outside of martial arts and have relationships with beloved characters, who the fuck is this guy? A guy who can do karate? According to Wikipedia, the only reason the character was created was because Marvel was too cheap to buy the rights to Kung Fu: The Legendary Journey.

And while you might say that Luke Cage is the same thing but blaxploitation inspired, it feels like blaxploitation has never gone entirely away. Obviously it's not at the heights it was since the 1970s, but every few years there will be a throwback movie or show or something and the empowerment theme of blaxploitation can still be relevant in the way "guy knows karate" can't be.

With the chop socky genre, what do you have? An occasional Tarantino thing, or something incredibly brutal like The Raid, neither of which seem to fit the Marvel framework. Playing into the mystical elements of this character - if there are any - will only inspire criticisms of racism and cultural appropriation. And the cultural aspect of this isn't nearly as poignant as what they were able to sell with Black Panther - no matter how many headlines I see trying to claim as such.

BIV

I don't appreciate Piggy review bombing my post.

Pigdango

Donator
I don't appreciate Piggy review bombing my post.
I don't appreciate you calling my childhood idols dorky, mister falcon. I've loved the Avengers ever since I got this woefully miscolored bath towel as a young piglet:

BIV

Sorry, couldn't find an article.