Movie Marvel's Black Panther - February 16, 2018

So I was wary of potential annoying politics going into this movie but these are literally the 3 main political messages I got from it:

1. There are better black ideals to aspire to than "gangsta" culture.

2. Racial supremacy of all sorts (important point) is bad.

3. Not helping others when you have the means to do so puts you in a weak moral position to lecture others for their bad behavior.

Yeah it had a couple of lines I kinda rolled my eyes a bit but it was one character and it was in her character to say those things so I didn't mind. So yeah, I mean, I would definitely consider that to be a pretty good message overall.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
My friend just came in wearing a Donkey Kong shirt.

Subtle...

Pigdango

Donator
I don’t give a shit about any of the political crap. It was suitably subtle for a movie about a guy in a cat suit beating up another guy in a cat suit.

I compared this to Wonder Woman in that it was easy to predict it would be praised more for what it is rather than how it is. Little did I know how similar to Wonder Woman it would turn out to be, with a third act that was in a word, disastrous. In a sense it was even worse than Wonder Woman’s, because while that movie took inspiration from Captain America, for some bizarre reason, Ryan Coogler and Kevin Feige decided to pay homage - nearly shot for shot - to...

POOF Are you fucking kidding me?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Ryan Coogler and Kevin Feige decided to pay homage - nearly shot for shot - to...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:D

Last edited:

Pigdango

Donator
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:D
We should probably edit that part out. I don’t want people seeing this with that thought in their heads. They won’t be able to unsee it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pigdango

Donator
Nice job Sauce. But you’re my witness that I’m the first person on the internet to point that out.

ScottFromGA

I cum into socks.
Black Thor/Ant-Man was pretty good.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ScottFromGA

I cum into socks.
Nice job Sauce. But you’re my witness that I’m the first person on the internet to point that out.
I've seen it already...PM me what it was. I'm curious.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's probably going to be the closest thing to a black James Bond as there is ever going to be.

Overall I thought it was a very good. The reviewer from Ireland was wrong about it being humor free.

The cast from top to bottom was the best part of the movie. Both Micheal B. Jordan and Andy Serkis move into the top ten of best MCU villains.

I thought they handled the political stuff perfectly.

I'll be your witness too because I saw what you initially posted.

Both Micheal B. Jordan and Andy Serkis move into the top ten of best MCU villains.
Didn't you read that its racist to praise Andy because he's one of only a few white people in the movie? You can ONLY compliment black cast members.

Please follow the rules.

Something that didn't occur to me until I saw this:

Martin Freeman's character is Everett Ross. So is he related to William Hurt's Thunderbolt Ross or is just a coincidence.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Due to a timing mishap, I actually saw this tonight. It's the best MCU movie since Thor: Ragnorak!

Seriously, I liked it a lot. As far as a 'first' movie, I thought it was better than Ant-Man, Doctor Strange and even Wonder Woman. It actually made me wonder (LOL!) how Wonder Woman would have looked without the Snyder style because I thought the visuals and costumes and set design were fantastic. The cast was great. The political elements were so mild/deftly handled it would only be a 'thing' for overly apologetic or overly paranoid white people. And it was overall well done. I look forward to see what Coogler does next.

Martin Freeman's character is Everett Ross. So is he related to William Hurt's Thunderbolt Ross or is just a coincidence.
Does it bother you when white people talk about how black people should feel about this movie? As in, "there's finally a superhero for black people to side with!" Because it does me. Not that they're necessarily wrong, but who are they to pretend they know? They're just taking that from other white people.

I don’t give a shit about any of the political crap. It was suitably subtle for a movie about a guy in a cat suit beating up another guy in a cat suit.

I compared this to Wonder Woman in that it was easy to predict it would be praised more for what it is rather than how it is. Little did I know how similar to Wonder Woman it would turn out to be, with a third act that was in a word, disastrous. In a sense it was even worse than Wonder Woman’s, because while that movie took inspiration from Captain America, for some bizarre reason, Ryan Coogler and Kevin Feige decided to pay homage - nearly shot for shot - to...

What are you talking about? Now I need to know.

Due to a timing mishap, I actually saw this tonight. It's the best MCU movie since Thor: Ragnorak!

Seriously, I liked it a lot. As far as a 'first' movie, I thought it was better than Ant-Man, Doctor Strange and even Wonder Woman. It actually made me wonder (LOL!) how Wonder Woman would have looked without the Snyder style because I thought the visuals and costumes and set design were fantastic. The cast was great. The political elements were so mild/deftly handled it would only be a 'thing' for overly apologetic or overly paranoid white people. And it was overall well done. I look forward to see what Coogler does next.

Does it bother you when white people talk about how black people should feel about this movie? As in, "there's finally a superhero for black people to side with!" Because it does me. Not that they're necessarily wrong, but who are they to pretend they know? They're just taking that from other white people.
I loved that because Black Panther and Spider-Man were both introduced in Civil War, their respective inaugural solo movies didn't have to accomplish that task themselves. Instead they both functioned as formative origin stories. It's about the characters coming into their own rather than discovering they have powers. It would have been super lame if the first act of this movie was T'Challa as a child discovering the secret of Black Panther and then training as a teen in combat and stuff. Blech.

Prediction:

At least one dumb website will post an "Eric Killmonger was the good guy" political hot take.

Oh shit someone on Collider just said it and I'm sure you're talking about the same movie.

Rocky 3

Pigdango

Donator
Oh shit someone on Collider just said it and I'm sure you're talking about the same movie.

Rocky 3
Not even close. Give me a few minutes to fire up the laptop and I’ll try to gather some visual evidence, although it might be difficult because one thing the marketing did was conceal a lot of the movie.

By the way, I liked the movie. The third act mess just kept me from loving it. In general the biggest problem with the third act is that it turned into an Avengers movie, where all the sudden all (and I mean ALL) the supporting characters had to have big hero moments, while Black Panther has a cgi subway stare-down. It was like they knew BP wasn’t that interesting of a character and decided they better bury him behind his far
More charismatic supporting cast.

Like compare this to Doctor Strange, which was far more tightly focused and far better. (Who said BP was better? Liddy? Check yo self.) You had Strange, Mordo, Casillius, Ancient One, and Wong, and all the supporting peeps got shoved clear for Strange’s very clever showdown with Dormammu. Instead, you have...give me a few minutes.

Pigdango

Donator
Prediction:

At least one dumb website will post an "Eric Killmonger was the good guy" political hot take.
The movie definitely played that way, so I think it may be more than one. Killmonger was an asshole, but even T’Challa was sympathetic to his cause.

The single biggest “message” I picked up from the movie and what I was really loving until it devolved into nonsense - is that the deceased take on sainthood. T’Challa breaking free from this was a great message and one of the better moments and themes of the movie.

Pigdango

Donator

Rocky 3
A few warnings before you or anyone else opens this spoiler:

1. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE. It will change the way you watch it.
  2. You can't unsee it.
  3. You can't argue it. It is MY perception of the movie, and all I could think about in the third act, so please no "fuck you" or "you're crazy." arguments.
  4. Have an open mind and be ready to have a good laugh, but remember - you can't unsee it.

Pigdango

Donator
What are you talking about? Now I need to know.

I loved that because Black Panther and Spider-Man were both introduced in Civil War, their respective inaugural solo movies didn't have to accomplish that task themselves. Instead they both functioned as formative origin stories. It's about the characters coming into their own rather than discovering they have powers. It would have been super lame if the first act of this movie was T'Challa as a child discovering the secret of Black Panther and then training as a teen in combat and stuff. Blech.
I really enjoyed the opening sequence, even if it did remind me of a DCEU movie.

Pigdango

Donator

I think it's just a coincidence, at least in the comics.

A few warnings before you or anyone else opens this spoiler:

1. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE. It will change the way you watch it.
  2. You can't unsee it.
  3. You can't argue it. It is MY perception of the movie, and all I could think about in the third act, so please no "fuck you" or "you're crazy." arguments.
  4. Have an open mind and be ready to have a good laugh, but remember - you can't unsee it.

Wooooow. The bottom right image in your thing made me REL

If Mike Stoklasa says this on HitB you receive +1000 internets.

Pigdango

Donator
Wooooow. The bottom right image in your thing made me REL

If Mike Stoklasa says this on HitB you receive +1000 internets.
Someone else is going to pick up on this, right?

Someone else is going to pick up on this, right?
Maybe. There was also the whole

Separated by the train with suits disabled thing that was like Obi-Wan being pinned behind the force field during the fight.