Movie Marvel's Black Panther - February 16, 2018

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Maybe. There was also the whole

Separated by the train with suits disabled thing that was like Obi-Wan being pinned behind the force field during the fight.
EXACTLY! That's when I started to be like "Hey wait a minute..."

Then you realize that's going on while Ross is kind of accidentally saving the day in the ship, and there's a giant battle in the middle of a field with giant creatures and blue laser weapons and it just became too much. When Kulaya and all his soldiers quit at the end I actually giggled.

EXACTLY! That's when I started to be like "Hey wait a minute..."

Then you realize that's going on while Ross is kind of accidentally saving the day in the ship, and there's a giant battle in the middle of a field with giant creatures and blue laser weapons and it just became too much. When Kulaya and all his soldiers quit at the end I actually giggled.
NABOO FOREVER!

Pigdango

Donator
I want to be clear, the first two thirds of Black Panther were very good. The score/soundtrack was easily Marvel's best since Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1. I chalk the ending up to the economics of Blockbusters, and I give Coogler a lot of credit for bringing some weight to the proceedings, but not too much.

Pigdango

Donator
By the way, the audience I saw it with not only gave it the biggest ovation I've ever experienced in a movie, but they went fucking nuts

when Bucky showed up at the end.

My favorite line of the movie was when they brought Ross in and Shuri said
"Great, another broken white boy for me to fix."

Also, I kind of have a thing for Shuri. Is that bad?

By the way, the audience I saw it with not only gave it the biggest ovation I've ever experienced in a movie, but they went fucking nuts

Post credits spoiler: Same for me, and I saw it in Tel Aviv. Thursday Night 7 pm screening. Crowd went bananas.

Pigdango

Donator
Wowzers...

http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-panther-thursday-night-preview-box-office-1202291093/

the Ryan Coogler-directed movie about Marvel’s Black superhero T’Challa will clear $25M. Black Panther will either beat or tie with Captain America: Civil War ($25M) as the second best Marvel preview ever behind Avengers: Age of Ultron ($27.6M). This is also easily the biggest pre-summer preview night ever, outstripping The Hunger Games ($19.7M). On the high end, it’s nearly double the $12.7M what Deadpool posted prior to its record February four-day weekend of $152.1M. These early estimates for Black Panther are exclusively from Deadline, so if you see them reported by a rival trade, they got them from us.

Other records being broken: Advance ticket sales continue to go wild over at Fandango with Black Panther now their fourth-biggest pre-seller of all-time behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. A few weeks ago, Fandango reported that Black Panther is their biggest superhero ticket-seller.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Not even close. Give me a few minutes to fire up the laptop and I’ll try to gather some visual evidence, although it might be difficult because one thing the marketing did was conceal a lot of the movie.

By the way, I liked the movie. The third act mess just kept me from loving it. In general the biggest problem with the third act is that it turned into an Avengers movie, where all the sudden all (and I mean ALL) the supporting characters had to have big hero moments, while Black Panther has a cgi subway stare-down. It was like they knew BP wasn’t that interesting of a character and decided they better bury him behind his far
More charismatic supporting cast.

Like compare this to Doctor Strange, which was far more tightly focused and far better. (Who said BP was better? Liddy? Check yo self.) You had Strange, Mordo, Casillius, Ancient One, and Wong, and all the supporting peeps got shoved clear for Strange’s very clever showdown with Dormammu. Instead, you have...give me a few minutes.
I did think Black Panther was better than Doctor Strange. Strange might have had a more focused ending, but I actually felt that Panther had the bigger scope and stronger emotional core. I had a better sense of the tribes and history of Wakanda than I did of the Marvel Magical Mystical Universe. And not in the way that the MMMU is so wide and vast and unknowable that you can never get a good sense of it, but more that it never felt particularly deep or complex. Plus T'Challa wasn't just Tony Stark.

I thought Doctor Strange was a huge let down.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Post credits spoiler: Same for me, and I saw it in Tel Aviv. Thursday Night 7 pm screening. Crowd went bananas.
I didn't get that response, but he is quite good in I, Tonya.

Pigdango

Donator
I did think Black Panther was better than Doctor Strange. Strange might have had a more focused ending, but I actually felt that Panther had the bigger scope and stronger emotional core. I had a better sense of the tribes and history of Wakanda than I did of the Marvel Magical Mystical Universe. And not in the way that the MMMU is so wide and vast and unknowable that you can never get a good sense of it, but more that it never felt particularly deep or complex. Plus T'Challa wasn't just Tony Stark.

I thought Doctor Strange was a huge let down.
I appreciated Doctor Strange (and Thor Ragnarok) a lot more after a second viewing. Oddly enough with Doc Strange, the second viewing gave me a much better sense and understanding of the wide and vast and unknowable MMMU. Maybe it will be the same with BP, but I think the thing that can't be unseen will probably be a major barrier to that. Not sure if I'll get to it again in the theaters. The movie is a bit of a slog to sit through and there are still several Oscar contenders and other films I'd like to see.

Now I'm wondering (heh) if Wonder Woman would benefit from a second viewing as well.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
I appreciated Doctor Strange (and Thor Ragnarok) a lot more after a second viewing. Oddly enough with Doc Strange, the second viewing gave me a much better sense and understanding of the wide and vast and unknowable MMMU. Maybe it will be the same with BP, but I think the thing that can't be unseen will probably be a major barrier to that. Not sure if I'll get to it again in the theaters. The movie is a bit of a slog to sit through and there are still several Oscar contenders and other films I'd like to see.

Now I'm wondering (heh) if Wonder Woman would benefit from a second viewing as well.
I'm not planning on seeing this again. Maybe I should re-watch Doctor Strange because I was really underwhelmed. I've also considered re-watching Wonder Woman because I really was not into it when I saw it. Ditto Spider-Man: Homecoming. Wonder Woman especially didn't connect with me, but I think a big part of that was the timing/situation (I had to see it in 3D) and there was something about last summer where I was burned out on the blockbuster. It might ties back into my hesitancy towards Pacific Rim Uprising and RP0.

However, I think I know what will happen if I try and watch Wonder Woman again. The same thing that happened when I tried to re-watch Apocalypse. Give it 45 minutes an hour, be like "okay, it's fine" and then move onto something else.

I am thinking of seeing Fifty Shades Final for shits and giggles. Jumanji was my initial "sure why not, what the hell" movie, but I think FSF might be sillier.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
blackpanthermeme.png

I kinda have an interest in seeing this, but am not sure if I am in the mood for the political nonsense. If I didn't live where I do now, I'd be concerned that it would be like when I saw Malcom X in the theater - it was me, my g/f at the time, and about 200 black people. Not knowing the history of Malcom X, I was in full-panic mode because I thought he was killed by whitey just like MLK. I was relieved when I realized he was going to be killed by NOI thugs.

Attachments

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
A few warnings before you or anyone else opens this spoiler:

1. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE. It will change the way you watch it.
  2. You can't unsee it.
  3. You can't argue it. It is MY perception of the movie, and all I could think about in the third act, so please no "fuck you" or "you're crazy." arguments.
  4. Have an open mind and be ready to have a good laugh, but remember - you can't unsee it.

I didn't get as deep as you, but I definitely thought of the Jedi Council/Throne Room connection.

The audience I saw it with did same thing. Gave it an ovation and went crazy at that post credits scene.

Not at all. I had a thing for Nakia.

I have to give Marvel its due. They made a comic book movie crossover. Normally for one of their movies, there is a decent amount of black people in the audience. Some are comic book movie fans and others are there just to see a blockbuster. But last night, there were more than I have ever seen before. It was like I was at a Tyler Perry movie.

Last edited:
‘Black Panther’ Review: The Movie’s Hero is Trump, the Villain is Black Lives Matter

Still, Black Panther is not a movie about race, it is a movie about ideas and ideals, about our shared humanity. Our hero is not in favor of protecting ethno-nationalism, but rather a healthy form of nationalism.

If T’Challa is Trump, Killmonger is Black Lives Matter.

Did I just write that?

Yes. I. Did.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...ther-review-great-actors-make-failure-launch/

Bill Lehecka

Whiny Man Baby
Donator
The sad thing about this film doing so well (And Wonder Woman): people think politicizing a film will actually work. I’m glad it didn’t work for Ghostbusters, but still, 2 out of 3 led to huge box office numbers. Then again, can you attribute the huge numbers to politicizing, or is it because they were well made films? I don’t know.

I enjoyed the film well enough. The Teacher thought it wasn’t that special, that it was over-hyped. Our couple friends both agreed that it felt too stand-alone and didn’t have enough connective tissue to the MCU.

When the third act turned into

Episode 1

I started to be a bit flabbergasted.

Then again, can you attribute the huge numbers to politicizing, or is it because they were well made films? I don’t know.
When people are posting pictures of a theater full of people giving the black power salute. I'm gonna have to go with option A.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
The amount of capitulating that's out there surrounding a simple Super Hero movie is unparalleled. I've never seen so much surrounding 1 thing. Even more than Obama's Presidency. The slobbering over how great this spot in Africa is, the babbling over the utopia of this mythical place is at a feverpitch.

Thing is, the real Africa, isn't.

It never will be. Ever. It's going to remain a the worlds toilet. The cesspool of the planet. The continent as filthy as a gloryhole floor.

The simplistic shits brought it all on themselves, no matter how much mewling is done about how it's 'teh whyt manz's fawlt' is done. Their continent, their problem.

Enough with fucking Wakanda.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
‘Black Panther’ Review: The Movie’s Hero is Trump, the Villain is Black Lives Matter

Still, Black Panther is not a movie about race, it is a movie about ideas and ideals, about our shared humanity. Our hero is not in favor of protecting ethno-nationalism, but rather a healthy form of nationalism.

If T’Challa is Trump, Killmonger is Black Lives Matter.

Did I just write that?

Yes. I. Did.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...ther-review-great-actors-make-failure-launch/
How about this. The hero is whatever political totem you believe in, and the villain is whatever political totem you believe is your enemy. How does it work? Doesn't matter. The important thing is your team wins! And because of your blind support, you win too! Pat yourself on the back! Today is a good day!

How about this. The hero is whatever political totem you believe in, and the villain is whatever political totem you believe is your enemy. How does it work? Doesn't matter. The important thing is your team wins! And because of your blind support, you win too! Pat yourself on the back! Today is a good day!
I'm enjoying the whole spectacle.

Republicans are praising the isolationist message, and the Liberals are praising the anti-colonialism, and then they come together and fight on twitter.

The "wakandaforver" hashtag is a hoot.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
I'm enjoying the whole spectacle.

Republicans are praising the isolationist message, and the Liberals are praising the anti-colonialism, and then they come together and fight on twitter.

The "wakandaforver" hashtag is a hoot.
The you was a general you based on the ridiculous imbuing of messages into the movie from both sides.

Specific you would hate the movie because it has female characters.

The you was a general you based on the ridiculous imbuing of messages into the movie from both sides.
Even if you were saying me specifically I don't take it personal. Young Jimcy would be yelling and screaming uselessly. Old Jimcy knows to just sit back and watch the squabble.

Specific you would hate the movie because it has female characters.
Speaking of which, Peaky Blinders pissed me off last night because the boss of the family keeps getting bitched around by this old cunt.

Its 1920...ish? Back hand the cunt.

Last edited: