Mass Effect 4: Andromeda - March 21, 2017

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Don't worry, you can always force these faggots to put out a patch months later to kinda sorta fix what they should have done to begin with.
That horrible walking animation is apparently caused by something players are doing intentionally. Something about slamming buttons in a certain order.

That horrible walking animation is apparently caused by something players are doing intentionally. Something about slamming buttons in a certain order.
Pressing certain buttons? Good thing you never have to do that in games...

DiggerNick

Donator
This will become Gamergate Pt 2. Eeeeville misogynistic men attacking a woman in gaming.

DiggerNick

Donator
Is this something you guys touched on?
'Fights for intersectional diversity in games'. Have you ever read a more horrifying sentence?

Yeah, the fact that this piece of garbage is making decisions at Bioware is cause for concern.

This is news to you guys? They proudly remark on how they are so god damn inclusive all the fucking time.

DiggerNick

Donator
This is news to you guys? They proudly remark on how they are so god damn inclusive all the fucking time.
Turns out this asshole no longer works for them. Same with the piece of ass who claimed to be the lead facial animator.

Turns out this asshole no longer works for them. Same with the piece of ass who claimed to be the lead facial animator.
Why? The games getting good remarks from everyone.

Mass Effect: Andromeda's Character Creation Is A Huge Step Backward

There's something really off about Mass Effect: Andromeda. Okay, there's lots of things that are off about the game. It would be hard to point to them all, so I'm going to focus on just one for now: Character creation.

Character creation is really important in a game where you end up spending a lot of time with your character. In Mass Effect: Andromeda there's a ton of dialogue, and much of it takes place up close and personal in cut-scenes. So making sure you like the way your character looks is important.

I've spent countless hours across the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games, not to mention dozens of other RPGs and MMOs, creating characters of all shapes, sizes, races and sexes. In Dragon Age: Origins I created more characters than I can count. In BioWare's last game, Inquisition, the character creation options were pretty robust, and you could make some pretty good-looking characters.

So it was good news when BioWare developer Aaron Flynn told fans on Twitter that the character creator in Mass Effect: Andromeda was similar to Inquisition.

The problem? It isn't. It really isn't at all similar. Not only is it far more limited and much more difficult to create appealing characters, it's also trapped inside a truly bizarre user interface. Simply selecting a face and then going to customize it doesn't work. You have to select the face and then press another button to confirm. But the buttons change depending on what you're attempting to do. At one point "Space" is "Select" and "Esc" is "Confirm." It's all very unintuitive and confusing, and I've been doing this for a while.

And here's my attempt at making the two Ryder twins in the game. I chose a male Ryder and named him Ghost:

As you can see, this is a pretty dramatic leap backwards from Dragon Age: Inquisition, and certainly it's not as easy to maneuver between screens and options.

The UI issues aren't limited to character creation, unfortunately, and will plague you throughout the game, so that's almost another story in and of itself.

As far as the character creation options are concerned, you can still make a pretty good character, or a pretty wacky one like mine. Alas, the even more bizarre facial animations in the game will turn even the most beautiful characters into...well, into memes I'm afraid.

Erik Kain/BioWare

Mass Effect: Andromeda

P.S. For all my griping over the UI and character creator, I am rather pleased with the character I created. All the ladies agree, Ghost is a sexy beast, and super freaky.

Why? The games getting good remarks from everyone.

Mass Effect: Andromeda's Character Creation Is A Huge Step Backward

There's something really off about Mass Effect: Andromeda. Okay, there's lots of things that are off about the game. It would be hard to point to them all, so I'm going to focus on just one for now: Character creation.

Character creation is really important in a game where you end up spending a lot of time with your character. In Mass Effect: Andromeda there's a ton of dialogue, and much of it takes place up close and personal in cut-scenes. So making sure you like the way your character looks is important.

I've spent countless hours across the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games, not to mention dozens of other RPGs and MMOs, creating characters of all shapes, sizes, races and sexes. In Dragon Age: Origins I created more characters than I can count. In BioWare's last game, Inquisition, the character creation options were pretty robust, and you could make some pretty good-looking characters.

So it was good news when BioWare developer Aaron Flynn told fans on Twitter that the character creator in Mass Effect: Andromeda was similar to Inquisition.

The problem? It isn't. It really isn't at all similar. Not only is it far more limited and much more difficult to create appealing characters, it's also trapped inside a truly bizarre user interface. Simply selecting a face and then going to customize it doesn't work. You have to select the face and then press another button to confirm. But the buttons change depending on what you're attempting to do. At one point "Space" is "Select" and "Esc" is "Confirm." It's all very unintuitive and confusing, and I've been doing this for a while.

And here's my attempt at making the two Ryder twins in the game. I chose a male Ryder and named him Ghost:

As you can see, this is a pretty dramatic leap backwards from Dragon Age: Inquisition, and certainly it's not as easy to maneuver between screens and options.

The UI issues aren't limited to character creation, unfortunately, and will plague you throughout the game, so that's almost another story in and of itself.

As far as the character creation options are concerned, you can still make a pretty good character, or a pretty wacky one like mine. Alas, the even more bizarre facial animations in the game will turn even the most beautiful characters into...well, into memes I'm afraid.

Erik Kain/BioWare

Mass Effect: Andromeda

P.S. For all my griping over the UI and character creator, I am rather pleased with the character I created. All the ladies agree, Ghost is a sexy beast, and super freaky.

Aaaaand I'm out. I'm a sucker for a good character creation system, and a bad one is an automatic red flag for me. I still say the best CC I ever used was Dragon's Dogma. Used to fuck around with that thing for hours. All I want in an RPG is to be able to customize my character's body proportions. Everything else is fluff as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aaaaand I'm out. I'm a sucker for a good character creation system, and a bad one is an automatic red flag for me. I still say the best CC I ever used was Dragon's Dogma. Used to fuck around with that thing for hours. All I want in an RPG is to be able to customize my character's body proportions. Everything else is fluff as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
How important is a dick size slider?

DiggerNick

Donator
I normally never bother with character creation bullshit. It's the dodgy animation, poor voice acting and writing that worries me most.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I decided to keep my preorder with the expectation that the animations will stink. Even if I only play for 30 hours-ish, I figure it'll be worth it and just HAVE to see this myself.

As someone who's been following the game's development, I think we are forgetting that's it's pretty much a whole new team using a brand new engine. We really should treat this as a new series, not ME:4. Usually it's the second game that knocks it out of the park.

Now, Browser/EA are dumb for not putting their best team on this, but that's not the team's fault. Unfortunately for them, a whole new team on a whole new engine just delivered Horizon.

Not trying to make excuses though, those eyes alone are a catastrophe.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Donator
I decided to keep my preorder with the expectation that the animations will stink. Even if I only play for 30 hours-ish, I figure it'll be worth it and just HAVE to see this myself.

As someone who's been following the game's development, I think we are forgetting that's it's pretty much a whole new team using a brand new engine. We really should treat this as a new series, not ME:4. Usually it's the second game that knocks it out of the park.

Now, Browser/EA are dumb for not putting their best team on this, but that's not the team's fault. Unfortunately for them, a whole new team on a whole new engine just delivered Horizon.

Everything you wrote is an excuse.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
I can't spend 40+ hours looking at shitty facial animations. Can Naughty Dog just give a clinic to the entire industry please

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
If I see another person say 75 is a good score I'm gonna wince awkwardly