Mass Effect - Xbox 360

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
Searched, saw no thread.

This game definitely is polished to shine.
I'll probably play the hell out of this.

Not going to give any spoilers, but if you like games that are worth the time and money to play. Buy Mass Effect.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
I have it pre-ordered.

This is one of those games that I've waited 2 years for. Bioware NEVER disappoints. I LOVED the KOTOR series, and I fucking LOVED Jade Empire.

It was supposed to release back in May, but they delayed it. That made me a sad panda.

But that just means they've made it better. I can't wait until it comes out next week.

PS: Rumor has it, Bioware is creating a SWG type MMO. It's supposed to be like SWG set in the Old Republic. Sony apparently has nothing to do with it, so you know it's gonna be good :p

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
I'm iffy about this game, because I don't know if I want to commit 70+ hours to a game. Everything I read seem great.

I'll rent it to see if I get sucked into the story and then see if I need to buy it to continue for weeks.

Aero 1

Mar 18, 2005
Clifton, NJ
i had no idea this game was an RPG!!! i forgot i preordered this, and now apparently its 70+ hours of talking to fucking people and they react if you are good or evil. bleh, this game "might" stink.

bbbbbbbbooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Monstercloud

Feb 15, 2005
NH
i had no idea this game was an RPG!!! i forgot i preordered this, and now apparently its 70+ hours of talking to fucking people and they react if you are good or evil. bleh, this game "might" stink.
It's action/RPG, like Hellgate. The way you play it doesn't seem to be as clear cut good/evil like Fable is, or other such games. It more seems in the big picture of things.

Also, there have been other games where you can decide what to say, but there seems to be ALOT more chances to do this, and choices on what to say/do.

Can't wait to play this, it looks great.

Chlorofirm

Aug 26, 2002
cleveland
I'm iffy about this game, because I don't know if I want to commit 70+ hours to a game. Everything I read seem great.

I'll rent it to see if I get sucked into the story and then see if I need to buy it to continue for weeks.
I feel the same way about not being sure I want to sink a couple days worth of time into a game. I'll wait for some reviews.

SKRI

Oct 26, 2007
I live in a big rectangle
a friend of mine hounded Kmart (they got their stock in of Mass Effect very early) till they gave up and sold him a copy. once you take the film grain off o the picture it is a beautiful game (i may even suggest taking motion blur off). Only got to watch about 20 minutes of it, but yes it seems to be shaping up to be one of the years best titles. After exploding some harmless bubble floaty creature things on the first planet we landed on, we're quickly introduced to the female character blah de blah de blah, aside, my favorite part that ive seen thus far is just how you can interrupt conversation and get the game moving. Lip syncing, character models, didn't see many particle effects yet i dont think he has the powers, but deffinitly a breathtaking title.

Chlorofirm

Aug 26, 2002
cleveland
You can actually choose to have those video effects on or off (grain and motion-blur)?

SKRI

Oct 26, 2007
yeah, take off the film grain (it looks like you're watching the game through a spaghetti strainer. motion blur if ya want, i dunno, im used to gaming on PC, so the instant i take off motion blur and film grain, i feel like ive gain frames. the game, btw, doesnt run at 60 fps, about 25-30 constant (which, hell, what do you expect, look at the fuckin game)

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005

Dude. It's mostly combat. But it's an RPG so of course you'll talk to a lot of people.

The combat system is apparently very unique and complex. I can't wait to get this game.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005

you'll play it and you'll like it faggot

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I'm so annoyed my 360 is dead. I've been waiting for a year and a half for this game.

BTW, this is just part 1 of 3. So two more games of Mass Effect goodness are still on the way.

RPGs > All

Wish it was turn-based, though.

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
I'm so annoyed my 360 is dead. I've been waiting for a year and a half for this game.

BTW, this is just part 1 of 3. So two more games of Mass Effect goodness are still on the way.

RPGs > All

See if you can rent a system from a video store when it comes out. I rented a gamecube to play the last Zelda a few months ago.

Check your local blockbuster to see if they rent 360's. It's like $20 for 5 days.

That will hold you over until you get your system back.

WaddleDoodle

Creepy? We're the CIA. It's what we do.
Mar 15, 2005
Arlington, VA
Well, I know what I'm going to be doing instead of studying for finals....

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
See if you can rent a system from a video store when it comes out. I rented a gamecube to play the last Zelda a few months ago.

Check your local blockbuster to see if they rent 360's. It's like $20 for 5 days.

That will hold you over until you get your system back.
I know a lot of places want a $200 deposit if you rent a 360. Jus Sayin

SKRI

Oct 26, 2007

RPGs > All

why would you want mass effect turn based?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
why would you want mass effect turn based?
What I like about Mass Effect is the extensive story, the options and the freedom. I also like having multiple characters and developing them along with my main guy. But I've always felt you can't really delve into intricate details with the secondary characters when using live action play. In a turn based game you can give each character the attention they deserve and use the characters to their best advantage. It also allows you to have more characters and to make them deeper.

I like games that let me be obsessively detailed. I'd control battles second by second if it let me.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
What I like about Mass Effect is the extensive story, the options and the freedom. I also like having multiple characters and developing them along with my main guy. But I've always felt you can't really delve into intricate details with the secondary characters when using live action play. In a turn based game you can give each character the attention they deserve and use the characters to their best advantage. It also allows you to have more characters and to make them deeper.

I like games that let me be obsessively detailed. I'd control battles second by second if it let me.
Actually it is kind of half turned base as you can pause the battle and give your squad orders. You can give them a sequence of moves to use, but once you are out of pause mode the battle is back in real time.

I like the way Bioware has set up the combat in their RPGs. KOTOR and Jade were great games, and I have great expectations for Mass Effect.

By the way..

IT COMES OUT TOMORROW! BUMP!:D

Hidden_Rage

Yeah... I got nothing
Nov 20, 2005
Queens
Anyone picked it up yet? I'd like to hear some impressions of the game before I pick it up later on in the week

Oct 8, 2003
Chicago, IL
From all the reviews I've read, it sounds like a lot of the points toward the high scores are due to sound design and graphics.

Every review mentions, but plays down the fact: the frame rate sucks, you get suck in walls and geometry and glitches abound.

I thought I might pick it up on impulse today, but now I need to wait for a rental.

shite.

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
IGN gave it a 9.4. Most everyone who I've seen review it has given it similar numbers. Only Gamespot has given it a lower number (and even then, only an 8.5).

It's not perfect, there are some issues. But from everything I'm hearing, it's a tremendous game.