matt barlow RETURNS TO ICED EARTH!!!!

Got One?

.....and she was a stewardess.
Aug 3, 2004
ak-ROWDY
no kids, it's not make up stuff tuesday...

DECEMBER.05.2007
MATT BARLOW IS BACK WITH ICED EARTH!

Hello Dear Friends!

Once again the winds of change are upon us, and this time I can say that I am very happy about the result.

While out on the European tour I had several in depth discussions with many loyal Iced Earth fans. A common theme of these discussions was how much Matt is missed. I agreed with the fans that things were not the same and that it was a very special period in Iced Earth’s history.

When I heard several months ago that Matt was going to be doing a project in music again, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his intentions were. I didn’t act on this because I was so focused on the writing of the new epic, and frankly, it just didn’t seem realistic.

Well, after getting out on the road and speaking with many of you directly, I decided to call Matt and see how he was doing and if he was interested in working together again. I am proud to say that he is coming back to Iced Earth and we will be getting back to work in the studio very soon.

Matt will be singing on Part 2 of the Something Wicked concept CD and we will be looking forward to getting out on tour and delivering a series of Iced Earth shows that will rival any in the history of the band. And there will be a proper DVD filmed from this period, something we’ve all been waiting for.

Soemthing WickedI want you all to know that it was you who made this a reality. I have missed Matt’s presence onstage and in my personal life in a big way over the past few years, so I appreciate your honesty in our discussions. It did help me realize the decision to move forward with pursuing this. The fans have spoken and we have delivered!

You true fans know that I’m a straight shooter, I say what I mean and mean what I say. And though I value your opinions greatly, you must believe that this is a decision that comes completely from the heart and is not motivated by anything other than what feels the best for Iced Earth. This is the way that things have always been dealt with, for better or for worse, but always honestly and from the heart.

Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level.

There will be more news soon as to further developments and plans. This will push back the release of Part 2 a bit. Not because we couldn’t be ready to record in time, but because of a new addition to Matt’s family in early 2008!

I am very happy to announce that Iced Earth is truly BACK!

Have a great holiday season. We’ll be in touch very soon with more details.
Jon Schaffer
you know, i loved & missed matt, but i love the ripper as well, at least i'll be able to see him with Beyond Fear..... definately nice to have matt back though!!!

Sep 10, 2005
Staten Island, NY
Is that true? I was just getting used to Owens hahaha wtf? All my friends will orgasm over the news if thats true..but honestly don't believe this....I check blabbermouth every day and there was no news of this.

Got One?

Aug 3, 2004
ak-ROWDY
Is that true? I was just getting used to Owens hahaha wtf? All my friends will orgasm over the news if thats true..but honestly don't believe this....I check blabbermouth every day and there was no news of this.
i don't rely on blabbermouth... i rely on icedearth.com :)

May 8, 2006
Houston, Texas
It's official. Major fuck-up. Schaffer will never outdo The Glorious Burden.

"original singer" does not always mean "better singer".

Sep 10, 2005
Staten Island, NY
never outdo TGB? dude thats there worst c-d...and yeah it so it is true...thats fucking weird..They just kicked owens out?

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I wasn't expecting it and quite frankly, I don't understand it either. They're on an European show, which includes their first tour of England opening for Heaven and Hell. Publically saying everything is going well. Schafer and Owens are on the cover the next issue of Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles. All the while this is going on, Schafer is talking to Barlow about coming back to the band. That's some grimey shit. I have always heard stories about Schafer's ego, but this is unbelieveable.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
See I don't think Glorious Burden is bad, it was rushed though. That album was pretty much was done with Barlow's vocals, when he quit. Then Owens comes in and just the vocals are redone. Its a good album, with some filler. Gettysburgh is incredible. I still can't believe it, I can't wait to hear Owens' side of the story.

Sep 10, 2005
Staten Island, NY
Rolemodel, the Trilogy at the end of the album is pretty much my favorite Iced Earth saga ever...but the rest besides declaration day are kind of avg...But it aint bad....Framing Armageddon is better imo.

But there best is def Dark Saga or Storm rider.

You think Barlow will sing the new songs live?

And yeah it seems kind of strange....It seemed like Iced Earth was doing fine with Owens, Jon seemed like he loved this lineup.

Got One?

Aug 3, 2004
ak-ROWDY
i hope matt sings the new songs live, i'm wondering about the tunings. they tuned way down to fit ripper's voice, i wonder if they'll play the same songs at the normal Eb tunings. either way, LOVE matt, LOVE tim, i hate to see tim booted out like this.

i still say have 'em both sing live, the harmonies would be amazing.

The Stormrider

Fucking your daughter.
Feb 8, 2006
I'm excited. I thought I was witnessing the death of Iced Earth after the last album didn't do so hot, critically or otherwise. This might take them in a better direction. Or at least I'll get to see them again, but with Barlow this time.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I'm excited. I thought I was witnessing the death of Iced Earth after the last album didn't do so hot, critically or otherwise. This might take them in a better direction. Or at least I'll get to see them again, but with Barlow this time.
Are you talking about Glorious Burden or Framing Armagedeon? Because Framing did quite well critically and commercially. It debuted at #68 on the US charts.

Got One?

Aug 3, 2004
ak-ROWDY
Framing is one of the best albums i've ever bought. i'm assuming he's talking about TGB. it was an odd album having barlow's background vox and tim's leads. it should hav ebeen one cd...the star spangled banner, declaration day, when the eagle cries, the reckoning, and the gettysburg trilogy.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I was just looking at Ripper's website, the Iced Earth promo photo has been taken down. But still no word from him, on what went down.

The Stormrider

Fucking your daughter.
Feb 8, 2006
Are you talking about Glorious Burden or Framing Armagedeon? Because Framing did quite well critically and commercially. It debuted at #68 on the US charts.
Alright, it's time for me to eat my words, and admit I was talking out my ass. I guess that since I didn't like it so much, I never really bothered to see how it was doing, and just assumed it hadn't been doing well since I never heard any more about it. Ouch :action-sm

Got One?

Aug 3, 2004
ak-ROWDY
i'm still not happy about tim getting the boot. at least we could have had time to see it coming, not just out of the blue. at least there's still new music to hear tim on, and now new music to hear matt on.

Got One?

Aug 3, 2004
ak-ROWDY
DECEMBER.20.2007
MATT BARLOW Comments on His Return to ICED EARTH.

Brothers and Sisters!

I'm sure that you are all well aware of things that are happening within Iced Earth, and a statement from me is well overdue. To that, I can only say that I am sorry for the delay, but there is good reason. Last week, following Jon's announcement, my wife gave birth to our second son. Everything is well, but of course, those of you who are parents know how taxing the first week can be. During that time, after all things had begun to settle, I realized that there are a lot of things on my plate. At this point, I needed to address them. As you know, family always comes first. Of course, Jon knows that and understands my decision to leave Iced Earth four years ago. My wife and I wanting a family was a huge factor. Family, is also the reason for my return. There is a kinship that goes beyond the obvious. I will speak of that later.

First, I feel that I need to acknowledge my friend Michael of Pyramaze. If not for his inquiry and persistance in asking me to be a member of that band, I may not have realized how much I have missed and been missed within the metal community. In recent days, however, I have come to realize that my participation in Pyramaze cannot go beyond the recording of the bands current work. This is due in part, to the fact that I can't be all places at all times. Michael and I have discussed this, and have come to an understanding. I know that the future success of Pyramaze will not be based solely on individual performances of band members, but in the song writing and total performance of the band, which is excellent. I know that I will give everything I have to the record and will support Pyramaze on a lot of other levels.

Let me proceed on the topic of kinship. For a great portion of our lives, Jon and I dedicated our selves to creating music that pleased, angered, saddened, and inspired. Though it can be argued that my contribution was limited, I always felt very proud of what we accomplished with every song. Whether a song was about a true love, a best friend, a ghost, a devil, or a savior; The songs that Jon wrote gave me the desire to engage each one on a very personal level. When Jon and I began to discuss the future of Iced Earth and his feeling on it's success or failure, he conveyed to me the desire to rediscover the passion of the songs that made Iced Earth so very special to so many people. In my journey of the last several years, I've had time to acknowledge that there are great stories yet to be told. Moreover, I have recognized my desire to be a part of those stories. As mentioned above, there are obvious time constraints where it relates to family, career, and music. One of those issues has already been addressed.

As for my career in law enforcement, it will continue as normal. Without going into specific detail, Jon and I will work on recording on my time between shifts. As Jon stated before, live performances will be more limited but grander in fashion. We will do our very best to get to the metal masses as often as possible. Jon understands that this schedule will be tougher to work with, but feels that it will be the best for the fans in the long run. There will be critics, no doubt. It has recently come to my attention that some people don't like the police ;-) Let's see if opinion can change on that issue!

As for the music, I will bring to Iced Earth the best performance possible. That has always been my desire, and I'm really excited to work with Jon and the guys again, to give you the best metal possible. If you think you're ready... let's do this!

MATT BARLOW

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
That statement cleared up a couple of questions I that had. Because the way the guy from Pyrameze was talking, was that Barlow was going to do both bands. I still don't understand how Matt's going to be able to continue in law enforcement and be in Iced Earth but, we shall see. Also rumour has it, that Ripper was fired via email 30 seconds before the news went online.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Second time this has happened to Ripper.

Any other bands that need their original or most popular singer to come back? Maybe Ripper can go sing for them for a while.

Got One?

Aug 3, 2004
ak-ROWDY
little update on SWTWC Part II:

MARCH.17.2008
RELEASE DATES FOR NEW SINGLE CONFIRMED

Steamhammer/SPV have confirmed the release dates for ICED EARTH'S new single, “I Walk Among You”:

Germany - June 13, 2008
Europe - June 16, 2008
USA/Canada - June 17, 2008
MARCH.14.2008
ICED EARTH ANNOUNCE NEW SINGLE, REVEAL ARTWORK

With the framework for the Armageddon of Man firmly laid with the band’s
2007 full-length release, “Framing Armageddon – Something Wicked Part I”,
ICED EARTH are set to launch the next installment of Jon Schaffer’s
“Something Wicked” saga with the release of their new single, “I Walk Among
You”, in June of 2008. The full-length studio follow-up to “Something Wicked
Part I” is due for release in Fall of 2008.

The new single and proceeding full-length studio album mark the return of
longtime frontman, Matt Barlow to the band who’s dark and sinister tones are
the perfect fit to narrate the intense and viscous annihilation of mankind
set in motion with the birth of the story’s main character, “Set Abominae”, in
“Something Wicked Part II.” The single will allow fans to get a glimpse of
the bright future for the band, and the perhaps not-so-bright future for
humanity as we now know it.

The single will feature 3 songs, an exclusive version of the song "I Walk
Alone" and a few tracks from Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part 1) with new vocal performances by Matt Barlow. Due to the re-tracking of the lead
vocals these tracks have been remixed and remastered. There will be an iTunes
exclusive version of the single "I Walk Among You" that features "A Charge To
Keep" which has also been re-sung by Matt, remixed and re-mastered.

The video for "I Walk Alone" is being filmed in early April.

All tracks were recorded at Jon Schaffer’s studio, Soaring Eagle Sound, and
mixed and mastered at Morrisound. The single, and following full-length
platter will be released by Steamhammer/SPV.

"I Walk Among You" Tracklisting:

1. I Walk Alone
2. Setian Massacre
3. The Clouding
4. A Charge to Keep (exclusive iTunes track)

i became insanely excited and a little nervous at the same time when i read this earlier today... i absolutely love Framing Armageddon, very different from other IE albums but still kick ass... and The Clouding quickly became one of my alltime favorite songs. I love the ripper's voice in this song, that's part of what makes me like it so much. It's to the point i cant even think of what Barlow would sound like on it. I'm assuming they might tune the guitars back up a little to their "normal" spot for barlow's voice. but i'm sure it will kick ass. can't wait to see them again!

AND GROW YOUR FUCKING HAIR BACK MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!