OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

May Be Getting a Free Piano - Is it Worth it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Floyd1977, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Floyd1977

Floyd1977 Registered User

Hopefully someone with experience can give me some insight. A woman who my wife works with is offering us her Piano for free. I think it was her daughter's who is going to college and doesn't really use it anymore.

Anyway, from what I can tell it's a Wurlitzer Spinet

[​IMG]

I'm interested in the idea of having a piano. I don't play, but always thought I wanted to learn one day. But don't know much about pianos. I am wondering if it is worth paying to have it moved, getting it tuned. Are these models any good? From what I have seen on the web, this is kind of in the Entry Level vein. But I have also seen a wide range of prices for the pianos that look like this on eBay.

Does anyone know what piano movers charge? The move would be a distance of 10 miles tops. How much to get tuned? etc. If it's going to cost more to move the piano than what it's worth, I probably wouldn't bother.

Thanks

2. MonkeyTits

MonkeyTits Registered User

I can't comment on what a mover would cost but unless you're completely worthless or have full sets of stairs to deal with, a few friends and some tie downs and you're good to go. They are heavy, but mostly you just need some straps to run over your shoulders and the weight isn't a problem.

A tuner can cost up to about $150 a visit - if you're in the Tulsa or Kansas City area, I can recommend a guy who'll do it for $60 (and that's about twice a year). We got one for free just like this one and our three year old daughter is already banging away on it, and it's starting to sound musical even. Regardless of the cost of the piano, you're going to want to get it tuned right off once it's settled into your home, and keep it tuned while playing.

3. mascan42

mascan42 Registered User

Wurlitzer made good organs and jukeboxes, but pianos, not so much. It's mainly good for learning and for dropping on Morris Marinas.

4. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

probably cost more to move it than its worth, unless you really want it - but I do have zero knowledge about pianos, I've known plenty of people who got "free" pianos if they would just come and get it and then take it away - most wish they never got them

5. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

...and caravans.

6. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

How dare you? You'll be getting a letter from the Owners' Club for that smarmy comment.

7. BeerBelly

BeerBelly Banned

[video=youtube;KdIMoS3ZYmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdIMoS3ZYmE[/video]

remember the thing "can you call pianos for me"?????

oh those were the days

8. SkinnyNaraAsses

SkinnyNaraAsses I'm a diva!

I had a Wurlitzer at my parents' house growing up, and it was all I knew for 10 years or more...until I got out and started playing real pianos at school. As someone said above, Wurlitzer made great organs...and really lousy pianos. The key action is by far the worst I've ever felt.

But hey, the price is right!

9. Jef Leppard

Jef Leppard 4/5 ths

yea free pianos means "here can you get rid of this for me? kthxbai"

10. Taint Stench

Taint Stench #shredding

it's pretty cool if you want someone once a year to play chopsticks when they come over.

I always wanted to push one off the empire state building

11. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

If you're thinking about starting to learn to play, it really makes no difference what brand piano you're getting. Unless it's unusable (because it's broken, not because of the brand), you should get it. Once you learn the basics, you can decide to actually invest some money into a new piano.

12. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

Yes.

13. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

Of course it's worth it.... to the person giving it away for free.

14. Jef Leppard

Jef Leppard 4/5 ths

if i was going to learn to play i would go for this before any real piano, seems like it might be easier to get rid of if i changed my mind. and obviously theres no tuning costs

15. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

you can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish

bada bummpptssss

16. Floyd1977

Floyd1977 Registered User

I called a piano mover for a quote. $350 for a 10 mile move and a flight of stairs (maybe two). Not worth it. I'll just get Garageband for the iPad.

Thanks anyway.