Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
You know the drill.

Audiobook is available at audible.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Dammit, I just remembered the book by Patton Oswalt's wife about the Golden State killer. Would have been perfect timing. Should we switch or wait for another month? It's supposedly fantastic.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
A non fiction book about a killer that never got caught? Hmmm.

Chip Spackler

Donator
Dammit, I just remembered the book by Patton Oswalt's wife about the Golden State killer. Would have been perfect timing. Should we switch or wait for another month? It's supposedly fantastic.
By the time the bag loads this thread properly again, we’ll have all read the book anyway.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
The introduction did a good job of piquing my interest.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Started last night. Promising.

At the end of the intro, what do you think of the author giving away (generally) what is going to happen?

Chip Spackler

Donator
Started last night. Promising.

At the end of the intro, what do you think of the author giving away (generally) what is going to happen?
It serves as a warning to readers that this story won’t be wrapped up in a way that answers all questions (or that it has a happy ending).

I’m about 1/3 through.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
I am going to finish Executioner's Song today and go to the library after.

Took awhile to get into TES - mostly due to the daunting size - but it's a fantastic, compelling read.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
What about the book where she's murdered by Patton Oswalt?

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
It serves as a warning to readers that this story won’t be wrapped up in a way that answers all questions (or that it has a happy ending).

I’m about 1/3 through.
But is a warning necessary or good? Before Sixth Sense, should they have warned us of a twist?

I’m about 1/3 through.
But is a warning necessary or good? Before Sixth Sense, should they have warned us of a twist?
I don't think a warning is a necessary or good. But I also didn't see it as a warning either. Before anybody read this book when it was first published, they could have looked up on the internet and learned that

The Monster of Florence was never identified and/or caught.

But I do think Preston should have ended the introduction for part 1 with what I mentioned in that spoiler and then in an introduction for part 2, talk about what happened to him and Spezi after they started tracking down the:

The real killer

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Watching 18 year old Italian girls get drilled don't make you a bad person.

Finished part 1.

This truly is a fucked up story. It went from being about a 8 horrific double murders, to an infuriating investigation and a couple of trials that were not only miscarriages of justice, but hilarious as well.

While you never want to see a person do time for a crime they didn't commit, I can't believe people were walking around wearing t-shirts that said "I Love Pacciani". I mean the guy did kill two people and **** his daughter.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Finished part 1.

This truly is a fucked up story. It went from being about a 8 horrific double murders, to an infuriating investigation and a couple of trials that were not only miscarriages of justice, but hilarious as well.

While you never want to see a person do time for a crime they didn't commit, I can't believe people were walking around wearing t-shirts that said "I Love Pacciani". I mean the guy did kill two people and **** his daughter.
When I see foreigners complaining about the American justice system when they listen to Serial or see MaM, I'm like "Please, shut the fugg up."

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
It's amazing how many significant people were from Florence in those few centuries starting with the time of Dante until Galileo.

Finished.

As I was reading this book, I kept thinking to myself, "Italy is a western European country right"? I also thought, "Now I know how the Amanda Knox situation happened. Get to the end, turns out Mignini was the prosecutor in that case as well.

Besides Spezi, my other favorite person in the book was Count Niccolo Capponi. He was an entertaining person who helped add some perspective to the story.

The New Yorker dropping the Monster article because of 9/11 reminded me of what happened in Spotlight, when the story about Catholic Church sex abuse scandal got pushed off the front pages. It also gives credence to a theory I have on why O.J. Simpson was able to become part of the public consciousness again.

I'm surprised by the lack of photos of the other 14 victims. Especially since there are on Wikipedia.

Finally, while all the evidence against him is circumstantial, I truly believe that Antonio Vinci was the Monster. I also think he was responsible for his father's disappearance.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Just over half way through. Haven't been posting much on account of Wackbag being in a death spiral and all.

I thought it was mildly interesting at how both this and Killer Moon both jumped to the present right around the same % trough the book.