May Book Club: The Monster of Florence

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Finished. My big takeaway is

what a cluster fuck the Italian legal system is.

I like the book, but I'm not sure that I have much to say about. I'd like to read one of the author's fiction novels as a quasi comparison point. I'd also like some sort of addendum with what's happen with the investigation post-publication.

Also, does the print version have photos?

Finished. My big takeaway is

what a cluster fuck the Italian legal system is.

I like the book, but I'm not sure that I have much to say about. I'd like to read one of the author's fiction novels as a quasi comparison point. I'd also like some sort of addendum with what's happen with the investigation post-publication.

Also, does the print version have photos?
It has about 4 pages of photos.

I tried to see if there was another book about the Monster written after this one. The only thing I could find was from 2012, but its in Italian.
There are is also an Italian mini-series him that aired in 2009.

I have read 3 of Preston's fiction novels and if I can ever get the Still Life With Crows from the library, I will eventually read that one.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
I've spent at least 15 Grape dog credits, but they counter just keeps popping back to 5 credits.

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
Been a crazy month (actually I've just been reading a collection of Patricia Highsmith short stories after Executioner's Song) and finally started this. I'm 100 pages in (about 1/3) and I'm not into it nearly as much as Killers of the Flower Moon.

And I'm up for a moratorium on True Crime after this.

Falldog

Wackbag's Best Conservative
Donator
Been a crazy month (actually I've just been reading a collection of Patricia Highsmith short stories after Executioner's Song) and finally started this. I'm 100 pages in (about 1/3) and I'm not into it nearly as much as Killers of the Flower Moon.

And I'm up for a moratorium on True Crime after this.
I would put this above KotFM. But not above KMFDM.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I love how every time a new suspect is investigated, the Italians show up full force with their pitch forks. I realize everyone does this but the Italians seem worse. They are an emotional, dumb people.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
I love how every time a new suspect is investigated, the Italians show up full force with their pitch forks. I realize everyone does this but the Italians seem worse. They are an emotional, dumb people.
It really makes Italy - Florence at least - seem like a backwater town.

"But he wasn't born until 85!"
"The cackling witch says her chicken feathers spelled his name!"
"Burn him now before he consumes our souls!"

Creasy Bear

Donator
I've been slammed at work. Hoping to get back on this.
Nope. You gotta listen to Death in Ice Valley.

NOW!

It's really good, and someone needs to discuss it with me, because this one is pushing every one of my true crime autism buttons.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Nope. You gotta listen to Death in Ice Valley.

NOW!

It's really good, and someone needs to discuss it with me, because this one is pushing every one of my true crime autism buttons.
I'll definitely give it a listen. We'll make June Book Club this podcast.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
It really makes Italy - Florence at least - seem like a backwater town.

"But he wasn't born until 85!"
"The cackling witch says her chicken feathers spelled his name!"
"Burn him now before he consumes our souls!"
The city most responsible for the Renaissance is a backwater town. How did that happen?

LiddyRules

You Dig On Multiverses?
The city most responsible for the Renaissance is a backwater town. How did that happen?
I'm going to blame liberals, Muslims, and blacks. Accurate or not, it will get me a shit ton of Likes.

The don't think it necessarily "happened," it was probably always like that except they had a Monolith for about a century. The impression I got from this book is that this is how Florence and most of those "old world" towns/countries probably are. No one questions it because that's how things have always been. They are as stuck in the past as any place except they have better architecture and wine. I thought this really showed with Niccolo who was like "everyone gets indicted for murder at some point, why worry, this just means you're true Italian! Pasta!" There was a lot of "I argued my point logically and with evidence." "But did you pay off the baliff's cousin?" "No. Why?" "Oh amici, they are going to see you hang." It wasn't until a racist American came with his culturally imperialist thoughts who dared to question these things.

Even with the Monster of Florence, I don't think they ever truly wanted to solve it. (I mean a few people did like Preston and Spezi.) I think it's a town that needs the Monster of Florence to exist as a bogeyman and every once in awhile they'll pick out a new sacrifice to throw on the pyre. It's their culture. One might say that the true Monster of Florence .... is Florence.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Good, listen to Death in Ice Valley... or else.

*shakes fist*
I haven't forgot about this or the Scandinavian one you told me about. Going on vacation to Cali pretty soon so hopefully I can get to them.

I am watching the Staircase. You seen that?

Creasy Bear

Donator
I haven't forgot about this or the Scandinavian one you told me about. Going on vacation to Cali pretty soon so hopefully I can get to them.

I am watching the Staircase. You seen that?
I'm just wrapping up the last Ice Valley.

The Staircase. I'll check that out.

Creasy Bear

Donator
I'm like five episodes in. It's the creepy Werner Herzog voices that really sell it.
Exactly. The unemotional Scandinavian weirdness makes for a great true crime experience. They are really good with “just the facts”, and they don’t wax all poetic and philosophical like the Irish in West Cork.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Death in Ice Valley is the Scandinavian pod? I guess the name would say so.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Exactly. The unemotional Scandinavian weirdness makes for a great true crime experience. They are really good with “just the facts”, and they don’t wax all poetic and philosophical like the Irish in West Cork.
How do you find a serial killer in Scandinavia when they are all dead inside? Might as well follow the people of Florence and lock up everybody.