May Book Club: The Monster of Florence

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
How do you find a serial killer in Scandinavia when they are all dead inside? Might as well follow the people of Florence and lock up everybody.
With both the Irish in West Cork, and the Italians in Monster of Florence, the hosts are like "So what do you think happened?" and it was off to the races, and 10 straight minutes of speculating assitudinations and blabbering off on tangents.

In Ice Valley, "So what do you think happened?", and then it was "I don't knows. Nobutty knows. I yust see what I zaw, and I zay dat." and then they clam up. You could hear the hosts trying to drag some emotion out of the Norgs, but it was like pulling teeth.

LiddyRules

Wow! A Text In All Caps!
With both the Irish in West Cork, and the Italians in Monster of Florence, the hosts are like "So what do you think happened?" and it was off to the races, and 10 straight minutes of speculating assitudinations and blabbering off on tangents.

In Ice Valley, "So what do you think happened?", and then it was "I don't knows. Nobutty knows. I yust see what I zaw, and I zay dat." and then they clam up. You could hear the hosts trying to drag some emotion out of the Norgs, but it was like pulling teeth.
With the American true crime podcasts, it's this mix of wide eyed Encyclopedia Brown fuckwittery and Most Tragic Tragedy To Befall Society.

With this, they seem to be into the investigation for the investigation's sake. "We have her teeth and jawbone."

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
@Creasy Bear @LiddyRules

Finally finished Death in Ice Valley. I actually missed some of the speculating and tangents found in other pods. But my two big issues:
1. I didn't really care about this woman. Maybe she was a spy, maybe she wasn't. Either way, who cares.
2. They were too far removed from the crime. They weren't able to speak to someone close to the case. The best they could do were 60-90 year olds who knew a little. This could be why #1 above was an issue. Serial had Adnan, West Cork had crazy Ian. This had a...worthless spoon.

LiddyRules

Wow! A Text In All Caps!
@Creasy Bear @LiddyRules

Finally finished Death in Ice Valley. I actually missed some of the speculating and tangents found in other pods. But my two big issues:
1. I didn't really care about this woman. Maybe she was a spy, maybe she wasn't. Either way, who cares.
2. They were too far removed from the crime. They weren't able to speak to someone close to the case. The best they could do were 60-90 year olds who knew a little. This could be why #1 above was an issue. Serial had Adnan, West Cork had crazy Ian. This had a...worthless spoon.
I completely forgot this existed. I somewhat agree with what you said. I thought the distance and coldness helped in certain ways. Learning about that era's spydom, not getting emotional, not trying to be the hero. But it also kept you from getting involved because there are no characters. Maybe the problem with all these things is that they're too long. You don't need to dedicate episode after episode about clues that admittedly mean nothing.

In other True Crime Podcast information, I saw that there's a series on the RFK assassination conspiracy, which I didn't know was around. From the couple of episodes I've listened to, the conspiracy seems to be "This is what they said happened. But what if it didn't happen that way?!?!" It seems to lean heavily on Siran Squared being a brainwashed CIA sleeper agent.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
@Creasy Bear @LiddyRules

I told you, those Norweegees are like cardboard people. The personality of wallpaper paste.

I thought it was hilarious how the hosts tried to wring some drama and excitement out of the locals, and they got nothing.

LiddyRules

Wow! A Text In All Caps!
@Creasy Bear @LiddyRules

Here's a Wiki page about the RFK assassination conspiracies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy_assassination_conspiracy_theories?wprov=sfla1

There's only one I find somewhat interesting (not necessarily true), but everything else is nonsense. It's also one of those conspiracy theories that ignore that humans are humans. Where someone's like "if the gun is firing from this direction, he should have moved left but instead he moved right." As though we'd all act logically with perfect mapping in this situation.

Last edited: