Mayor is facing marijuana charges, come on you know he is from Jersey

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
A Manchester police officer trailing the smell of marijuana in traffic had his job made easier when the alleged culprit -- the mayor of neighboring Lakehurst -- reportedly tossed the illegal cigarette onto the officer's windshield, authorities said yesterday.

The alleged illegal substance possession resulted in Lakehurst Mayor Stephen Childers, 50, getting arrested and hit with a slew of municipal charges before being released on his own recognizance Wednesday night.

The encounter occurred while Officer Brian Collins was stuck in traffic along with several other vehicles slowing for an unrelated stop eastbound on Route 70 around 11:45 p.m., said Manchester police Capt. John McCarthy.

While in traffic, Collins smelled the odor of marijuana and was trying to determine the source of the scent when he saw the driver of the pickup truck in front of him toss out the remnants of the cigarette, McCarthy said.

The burned butt hit the front windshield of the marked patrol car, McCarthy said.

Childers was charged with possession of less than 50 grams of marijuana, being under the influence of marijuana, driving under the influence of marijuana, throwing debris onto a roadway, reckless driving, possession of under 50 grams of marijuana in a motor vehicle and possession of drug paraphernalia.

McCarthy said Childers -- a Republican who has served as mayor for nearly 20 years but is not seeking re-election this year -- was released on his own recognizance to face the municipal charges.

Childers could not be reached for comment yesterday.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1186115411216960.xml&coll=1

click

Jan 5, 2005
N. Jersey
That's pretty funny. nice find, how'd you come across that stuff.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
I hope this douche isn't one of those "just say no" asscunts.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Glaucoma Or Cancer Defense????????? I know one of those Is semi Legal in NJ...

KevSlider

EYE HAVE YOU
Wackbag Staff
Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Figures he's one of THOSE people...you know...a lawmaker.

wigsnatcher

usually confused
May 11, 2007
Nashville
this kind of shit pisses me off, he actually got charged with possession AND possession within a motor vehicle?

KingTheoden84

Jun 9, 2007
this kind of shit pisses me off, he actually got charged with possession AND possession within a motor vehicle?
I completely agree. The rational thing would be to charge the driver with only 'possession in a motor vehicle' and have the penalty greater. This is assuming of course we are keeping illegal marijuana in the first place. Double charging gives DAs the chance each election year to brag about how many more charges they racked up. This also makes a defendent very apt to plea bargain quickly because they are spooked by all of the potential jail time.