• OMG!!! GDPR!! GDPR!!! GDP f***ing R!!!!!!!!!!!111111one!

Bla, Bla, Bla, updated privacy policy, because "we care about you! "

ಠ_ಠ

If you even give a shit, our privacy policy is here.

Pro-tip: If you have a reasonable, and transparent policy from Day 1, then you don't have to run around like an asshole!

Movie Maze Runner: Scorch Trials - September 18, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
No it doesn't. It lets parents know that it is OK for their kids to read just like movie ratings are supposed to. There are plenty of adults who read YA books. But please ,since you seem to be a big expert on the subject, let us know which YA books you've read that are crap so we can avoid them.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
No it doesn't. It lets parents know that it is OK for their kids to read just like movie ratings are supposed to. There are plenty of adults who read YA books. But please ,since you seem to be a big expert on the subject, let us know which YA books you've read that are crap so we can avoid them.
I haven't eaten mud but I know what it'd taste like. When the biggest names to come out of your genre are Twilight or The Hunger Games or whatever that Invasion of the Body Snatchers ripoff is called, that speaks volumes. Why don't you name one of the endless list of literary masterpieces that the genre has to offer?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Name some good young adult novels. And most of the books I read while in school did not bear the "young adult" title. I can't think of any that did.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
I haven't eaten mud but I know what it'd taste like. When the biggest names to come out of your genre are Twilight or The Hunger Games or whatever that Invasion of the Body Snatchers ripoff is called, that speaks volumes. Why don't you name one of the endless list of literary masterpieces that the genre has to offer?

The Hunger Games was a good book. Maybe you didn't like the movie but it was a good book. The Maze Runner was a good book. The Gone series is excellent. I read a lot of books so to summarily dismiss a genre without even have tried it is ignorant. I used to think sci-fi and fantasy were crap until I got some freebies for my Kindle and now I can't get enough.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
The Hunger Games was a good book. Maybe you didn't like the movie but it was a good book. The Maze Runner was a good book. The Gone series is excellent. I read a lot of books so to summarily dismiss a genre without even have tried it is ignorant. I used to think sci-fi and fantasy were crap until I got some freebies for my Kindle and now I can't get enough.
Young adult is not a genre (even though I mistakenly referred to it as such myself). It's a demographic. The Hunger Games is a fiction novel. Nothing about it makes it any more young adult than Harry Potter or Ender's Game, or any of a million other fiction novels that feature children or teens as the protagonists/antagonists. Yet the latter two examples I mention aren't called Young Adult. Why?

And Hunger Games might be a good book, but it certainly can't be a great book. Not if it is a mishmosh of 3 or 4 other things that have already been done, and taken to a further degree than Hunger Games took them.

And you don't have to get so defensive. I read and love plenty of stuff that is the equivalent of a popcorn flick. Just because it's reading doesn't mean it all has to be Dostoyevsky or Mark Twain.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'm not disagreeing. I 'm saying it is called that.
I can also call it a cookbook, but that won't make it a cookbook.

Not that Wikipedia is the end all be all source, but it's a good metric for general consensus:

"The Maze Runner is the first book in a young-adult dystopian science fiction trilogy of the same name by James Dashner."

"Ender's Game (1985) is a science fiction novel by American author Orson Scott Card. "

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
When the selling point of your book is that it is science fiction, you appeal to a science fiction crowd. When the selling point of your book is that it is young adult, the setting becomes secondary, and you appeal to the crowd who wants angsty teens with dumb hacky love themes in it. If it had more to offer then you'd sell it as a fiction novel.

This is what I was referring to...
I've never in my life seen it billed as young adult, let alone "Ender's Game, the young adult novel..." But that's exactly how Twilight, Hunger Games, and this are always addressed.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Iv'e seen it billed as young adult science fiction. If you haven't seen it, just letting you know it does exist out there.
Then whoever is billing it as that is wrong. Young Adult is an official category in the literary world. One that Ender's Game is not a part of. Like I said, I can put it in the self help section of a book store, but that doesn't mean it is being billed as a self help book. It wasn't written with a teens in mind as the potential audience. The Maze Runner was, otherwise it wouldn't be billed as a Young Adult novel.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Then whoever is billing it as that is wrong. Young Adult is an official category in the literary world. One that Ender's Game is not a part of. Like I said, I can put it in the self help section of a book store, but that doesn't mean it is being billed as a self help book. It wasn't written with a teens in mind as the potential audience. The Maze Runner was, otherwise it wouldn't be billed as a Young Adult novel.
I agree with this. It was never my point to argue it is young adult.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I agree with this. It was never my point to argue it is young adult.
I'm sure there are some people out there who insert the young adult thing, but my point is that it considered a "lesser" genre, not because of what it is but because anything that's better than that isn't called young adult. It's like saying AAA isn't second-tier because people are biased towards the majors. It's just that if you are better than AAA you go to the majors.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I'm sure there are some people out there who insert the young adult thing, but my point is that it considered a "lesser" genre, not because of what it is but because anything that's better than that isn't called young adult. It's like saying AAA isn't second-tier because people are biased towards the majors. It's just that if you are better than AAA you go to the majors.
I see what ya mean.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
An even better example would be to say that the Superbowl champions are also the Conference and Division Champions, but if they ALSO won the Superbowl, why would you still refer to them as Conference or Division Champions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom