McCain: No Muslim president, U.S. better with Christian one

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
McCain: No Muslim president, U.S. better with Christian one

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Saturday, September 29th 2007, 4:00 AM

GOP presidential candidate John McCain says America is better off with a Christian President and he doesn't want a Muslim in the Oval Office.

"I admire the Islam. There's a lot of good principles in it," he said. "But I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles, personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith."

In a wide-ranging interview about religion and faith with the Web site Beliefnet, McCain said he wouldn't "rule out under any circumstance" someone who wasn't Christian, but said, "I just feel that that's an important part of our qualifications to lead."

A Mormon such as rival candidate Mitt Romney, he said, would be okay.

"The Mormon religion is a religion that I don't share, but I respect.

"More importantly, I've known so many people of the Mormon faith who have been so magnificent," he said.

McCain later clarified his remarks, saying, "I would vote for a Muslim if he or she was the candidate best able to lead the country and to defend our political values."

A Muslim rights group ripped the Arizona Republican's remarks.

"That kind of attitude goes against the American tradition of religious pluralism and inclusion," said Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

He urged McCain to "clarify his remarks" and "stress his acceptance of political candidates of any faith."

The Anti-Defamation League, a Jewish advocacy group, could not be reached for comment because its offices were closed for the Sukkoth holiday.

In the interview, the senator also said the "Constitution established the United States of America as a Christian nation."

There is no mention of God, Jesus or Christ in that entirely secular document.

The interview, which included the revelation that he's talking to his pastor about undergoing a full-immersion baptism after the campaign, sent Beliefnet's irreverent "God-o-meter" spinning.

"How can the religious right hate this guy?" the site asked.

Beliefnet columnist David Kuo said McCain was "pandering to what he thinks the Christian conservative community wants to hear" and predicted he "will have a lot of explaining to do about this interview."

The remarks came as he was starting to show gains in the polls.

McCain alienated evangelical voters in 2000 when he branded the Revs. Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell "agents of intolerance."
At least we know the Christians are supporting any fatwahs in Muslimland as they prepare to attack us again.

fuckwit

He loves you, and he needs money.
Jul 27, 2006
jersey
holy shit this is the biggest 'hey look at me please' story ever. wow is his campaign dieing or what

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
I wish we could get an atheist president some day, but I suspect a Muslim would get elected sooner.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
I wish we could get an atheist president some day, but I suspect a Muslim would get elected sooner.
Quoted for truth.

Also, it seems that McCain was trying to make a swap at Obama without mentioning any names and without having his facts straight. Obama did not choose Muslim as his religion (he's some form of Christian, I believe). He has been exposed to Muslim people because of his upbringing. Sounds fairly well-rounded to me.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I was disgusted by the poll that said how many voters don't trust atheists. It's sad. Atheists aren't fucking immoral. We're douches, but not immoral.

And yes, McCain- taking a stand on the tough issues.

Treat_Yourself

Nov 17, 2006
I was disgusted by the poll that said how many voters don't trust atheists. It's sad. Atheists aren't fucking immoral. We're douches, but not immoral.

"He doesn't believe in God! What's stopping him from eating my children?"

Well for one thing I'm not Mike Tyson.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
Goodbye any chance of being elected.

weakside

Dec 9, 2004
California

:clap:

Yes and yes.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be

Supposedly a person who has a god knows how to follow laws. If you don't have a god then you don't have laws. Only problem with that is everybody thinks their god is the right god to follow & the rest are condemned to a life in hell.

Guess that's why so many people find a god in prison?

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
You know you live in a fucked up place if people trust muslims more than atheists.

Distrusting Communism I can understand. Atheism? What's ever been done in the name of atheism?

Some people point out that you know what a Christians values are.

Bullshit. There are so many "Christians" who have such vastly different morals and values than each other, it's pratically useless as a barometer.

You have to actually ask a Christian candidate what his values are if you want to know. Guess the fuck what? You have to ask an atheist what his values are as well, shitheads.

Considering that even Christians base their morality much more on our culture than their religion, chances are good that an atheist will have many of the same values that you do.

Go fuck yourselves Christian majority. Bunch of ignorant cock suckers.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I somewhat disagree with that Kris. How many people who claim to be religious constantly go against "God's laws" on a daily basis. It can't be this believe that they would follow laws.

I think people dislike atheists because of their deep distrust of human beings as a species. Belief in God implies that the higher power is controlling everything and that a person might be punished were they to go against that higher power. It makes the politician seem humble and brings them down to the common man's level.

An atheist represents that which is anathema to a lot of people- personal responsibility. Since an atheist has no one to answer to except themselves, it doesn't just show that man is fallible but that there's nothing infallible to counter that. And a lot of people's faith is on really shaky ground so that a challenge to that faith frightens them so they'd rather just stick their head in the sand.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
You know you live in a fucked up place if people trust muslims more than atheists.

Distrusting Communism I can understand. Atheism? What's ever been done in the name of atheism?

Some people point out that you know what a Christians values are.

Bullshit. There are so many "Christians" who have such vastly different morals and values than each other, it's pratically useless as a barometer.

You have to actually ask a Christian candidate what his values are if you want to know. Guess the fuck what? You have to ask an atheist what his values are as well, shitheads.

Considering that even Christians base their morality much more on our culture than their religion, chances are good that an atheist will have many of the same values that you do.

Go fuck yourselves Christian majority. Bunch of ignorant cock suckers.
"True Christians" base their morality on their religion moreso than on our culture. Unfortunately it's their convoluted sense of religion and morality and not what the Bible says. They're the ones who will try to convert you to their faith because it says to sing His praises among the heathens.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
you will NEVER see an atheist president, its a fact that atheists are more hated than any other "religion" and yes i believe that even atheism is a religion

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
I was disgusted by the poll that said how many voters don't trust atheists.
Of course they don't. Islam and Christianity are practically the same religion with a few words switched around. Islam just has scary followers, but atheism itself is frightening to a lot of people. It instantly destroys the many crutches that they've have founded their entire lives upon.

you will NEVER see an atheist president, its a fact that atheists are more hated than any other "religion" and yes i believe that even atheism is a religion
"Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color"

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Of course they don't. Islam and Christianity are practically the same religion with a few words switched around. Islam just has scary followers, but atheism itself is frightening to a lot of people. It instantly destroys the many crutches that they've have founded their entire lives upon.

"Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color"
i will defend my right to believe in nothing. as much as any religious nut

Butter Nuggets

May 29, 2006
Its not the lack of faith in a deity that turns off voters to atheists, its the self righteous twatism and overall bitterness they engage in.

I get it. My faith is a crutch for my weak mind. I can't accept my own mortality. I was brainwashed young and cant accept new ideas. I'm a sheep. I don't think Atheists are naive, stupid, frightened or weak for what they believe.

I generally don't care what others think but many atheists do. If one is an atheist it is natural to feel superior to the dimwits who cant see the light. But when billions dislike them or worse don't care at all, they get bitter and get even more abrasive.

I'm sure this board is swarming with exceptions, and this comment is just from experiences in my own life, but I think it reflects the average run in.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
my dad worked With McCain back in the 80's 0n a Vietnam veterans rights thing....even he is calling him a dumbass...Pop Wants Thompson

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Its not the lack of faith in a deity that turns off voters to atheists, its the self righteous twatism and overall bitterness they engage in.
Yeah because the internet has been around forever and everyone trolls forums like you looking for arguments. Well done genius. Speaking of bitterness, I'm guessing an atheist made you look like an asshole at some point huh?

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
Mar 3, 2005
California
"True Christians" base their morality on their religion moreso than on our culture. Unfortunately it's their convoluted sense of religion and morality and not what the Bible says. They're the ones who will try to convert you to their faith because it says to sing His praises among the heathens.
Even the majority of the hardcore Christians are influenced more by culture than by religion. It's how they cherry pick what parts of the bible to focus on.

Sure there are some issues, such as homosexuality, that Christians differ from our mainstream culture on, but look at things like slavery. The bible condones it, but even most hardcore Christians are against it.

Most of the time I'll probably share the same values as anyone else in this country. There are some big hyped up issues that divide parts of the country, but honestly, we aren't as different as we tend to think.

Is the atheist an American? What's their political leaning? Conservative? Liberal? Libertarian (me)? You probably know most of their values already.

I wouldn't say you will never see an atheist president. The country has changed a lot in a hundred years. I have strong doubts if I will see one in my lifetime, but if the country lasts long enough, why not?

As for atheism being a religion, I disagree. I think to constitute a religion you need a bit more structure, orgnisation and an actual belief IN something. Atheism is a negative. It's a neutral state. It's say that all of those religions are bullshit and replacing it with nothing. Atheism should be classified with other religious beliefs only in the same way that "none of the above" is grouped with other answers to a question.

Come on, don't spout bullshit. What about all of the cunty Christians? religion is practically the definition of self righteous. I'm not saying there aren't some annoying goddam atheists out there, but do you really hate them more than people who blow up buildings? People who want to kill you unless you switch to their belief system? Are you honestly telling me that Muslims are less self righteous than atheists?

Besides, what does being a twat have to do with distrusting someone? I'm not saying you don't trust atheists, I don't know one way or another. Atheists are the least trusted group in the country though, so I think it goes a little deeper than being twats or bitter.

I get it. My faith is a crutch for my weak mind. I can't accept my own mortality. I was brainwashed young and cant accept new ideas. I'm a sheep.
Glad to hear you're comming around :action-sm

I generally don't care what others think but many atheists do. If one is an atheist it is natural to feel superior to the dimwits who cant see the light. But when billions dislike them or worse don't care at all, they get bitter and get even more abrasive.
Some atheists do. Many religious people care as well. Me, I don't really care, so long as the persons religion isn't in danger of becoming a mortal threat. Religion has had a track record of getting people to kill each other, so I tend to keep an eye on it.

Christians, in general, have been a bit more behaved of late. They haven't been crusading around or inquisitioning too much. As long as that continues, I'm fine with them believing whatever the hell they want. That's their buisness.

Oh and on the bitter part, it's not like American atheists have nothing to be bitter about. Considering that professed atheists can't hold office in 8 states, I tend to take this unwarented distrust a little personally

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Its not the of faith in a deity that turns me off voters to Christians, its the self righteous twatism and overall bitterness they engage in.

I generally don't care what others think but many Christians do. If one is an Christian it is natural to feel superior to the dimwits who cant see the light, and almost pity them. But when billions dislike them or worse don't care at all, they get bitter and get even more abrasive.
See, it cuts both ways.

How of curiosity, how come you have a problem with the holier-than-thou atheists (which isn't most atheists, come on, seriously) but holier-than-thou Christians are a-ok in your book?

And the same goes for pretty much every other religion.

Butter Nuggets

May 29, 2006
See, it cuts both ways.

How of curiosity, how come you have a problem with the holier-than-thou atheists (which isn't most atheists, come on, seriously) but holier-than-thou Christians are a-ok in your book?

And the same goes for pretty much every other religion.
I didn't say it doesn't cut both ways but nothing is ever equal and in my experience it was atheists more than Christians who go out of there way to tell you you're wrong and be abrasive about it. I am sure this thread will prove me wrong if it hasn't already.

I wasn't out to bash atheists really, but in the US that is part of why they won't be elected. Even if Christians were douchier, its mostly Christians around. Being a vast majority and coming off bad is way different than a minority that does.

This is all just on the fringe anyway since the reality is given a reasonable choice people are not going to vote outside of their faith, atheists included.

weakside

Dec 9, 2004
California
This is all just on the fringe anyway since the reality is given a reasonable choice people are not going to vote outside of their faith, atheists included.

I have to disagree with this.

I think most people could care less what religion someone holds. It just doesn’t carry the same significance that it once did. Race, sex, and political belief far outweigh religion in terms of making a political choice.

I think this matters only to the religious extremists (including those who are Atheists) who want it to matter.

I could not see it making much difference to most people if a presidential candidate simply refused to say which religion he or she subscribed to. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Butter Nuggets

May 29, 2006
I have to disagree with this.

I think most people could care less what religion someone holds. It just doesn’t carry the same significance that it once did. Race, sex, and political belief far outweigh religion in terms of making a political choice.

I think this matters only to the religious extremists (including those who are Atheists) who want it to matter.

I could not see it making much difference to most people if a presidential candidate simply refused to say which religion he or she subscribed to. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
You're right. It does mean a lot less than it used to. It might be more a matter of which religion one won't vote for versus which religion one belongs to.

Pulling the "he's a Catholic he will answer to the Pope" card just seems silly now. Of course if Hillary started praying to Mecca 5 times a day.......