Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Norton mentioned this a couple months ago and I've seen it come up in the listening threads a few times since, so I decided to check it out. Holy shit, what a fantastic documentary, both in content and in style.

The core of the story is about four kids who were sexually abused at a school for the deaf in the 1950s. They get back together in the 70s to try to get some justice only to be buried by the church. Since it's an HBO documentary, it's anything but by the numbers. In modern-day interviews, the four victims are filmed with a high-speed camera and miked, which highlights their frantic sign language and brings a poignancy to their near-silent vocalizations. And rather than use subtitles or a bland interpreter, they're voiced by Chris Cooper, John Slattery, Jamey Sheridan and Ethan Hawke. About 20 minutes in, it stopped feeling like a documentary and turned into a legit crime drama with four underdogs going up against larger-than-life villains.

The coverups that are exposed are so far-reaching and far-fetched that it almost seems like something from The Onion. For example, the Vatican actually made a down payment on a "pedophile island" in the Caribbean to separate abusers from their victims.

This isn't just one of the best documentaries that I've ever seen; it's one of the best movies I've ever seen.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Norton mentioned this a couple months ago and I've seen it come up in the listening threads a few times since, so I decided to check it out. Holy shit, what a fantastic documentary, both in content and in style.

The core of the story is about four kids who were sexually abused at a school for the deaf in the 1950s. They get back together in the 70s to try to get some justice only to be buried by the church. Since it's an HBO documentary, it's anything but by the numbers. In modern-day interviews, the four victims are filmed with a high-speed camera and miked, which highlights their frantic sign language and brings a poignancy to their near-silent vocalizations. And rather than use subtitles or a bland interpreter, they're voiced by Chris Cooper, John Slattery, Jamey Sheridan and Ethan Hawke. About 20 minutes in, it stopped feeling like a documentary and turned into a legit crime drama with four underdogs going up against larger-than-life villains.

The coverups that are exposed are so far-reaching and far-fetched that it almost seems like something from The Onion. For example, the Vatican actually made a down payment on a "pedophile island" in the Caribbean to separate abusers from their victims.

This isn't just one of the best documentaries that I've ever seen; it's one of the best movies I've ever seen.

is it still on hbo on demand?