Meanwhile in China...

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
By David Pierson, Los Angeles Times
July 23, 2011, 10:21 a.m.
Reporting from Beijing— At least 11 people were killed and 89 others were injured Saturday when a bullet train in eastern China lost power after being struck by lightning and was rear-ended by another train.

The crash sent two carriages careening off an elevated track in Wenzhou, a city in Zhejiang province.

China State Television showed footage of rescue workers in a steady downpour pulling bloodied passengers out of a carriage standing on its end and leaning against a bridge.

A total of six carriages were derailed between the two trains, one of which originated from Beijing and the other from Hangzhou, state media reported.

The collision marks the first major incident in China's massive high-speed rail network, set to reach 10,000 miles by 2020.

The newest line in that network, a Beijing-Shanghai corridor, has been beset by electrical glitches in recent weeks because of poor weather, officials said.

The safety of the national network was also called into question when the head of the railway ministry was removed in February because of a corruption scandal believed to have led to shoddy construction.

The ministry has since decreased top speeds on the system as a precautionary measure.

It was unclear how fast the trains in Wenzhou were traveling before they crashed. Known as dongche, the trains were part of China's first generation of high-speed rail. Top speeds reached 155 mph. By comparison, the speed on the Beijing-Shanghai line is 186 mph.
Rink

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
The crash sent two carriages careening off an elevated track in Wenzhou, a city in Zhejiang province.
Did they mean careering or were they gonna scrape barnacles off the train cars?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Did they mean careering or were they gonna scrape barnacles off the train cars?
Careening is acceptable here

ca·reen (k-rn)
v. ca·reened, ca·reen·ing, ca·reens
v.intr.
1. To lurch or swerve while in motion.
2. To rush headlong or carelessly; career: "He careened through foreign territories on a desperate kind of blitz" (Anne Tyler).

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Yeah, that's the only form of the word careening I even knew.
No offense, sir, but we could fill a fairly large book with what you don't know. wavey guy

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
x4. I didn't even know career had more than one meaning.

gleet

Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
As long as I get kick backs, let's get this bitch published.
Yes sir! We'll start easy. I suppose you say "run down the gauntlet" instead of gantlet, right? After that, we'll move along to podium vs lectern, and end with the proper way to order at Burger King. "I'll have two Whoppers Junior".

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Yes sir! We'll start easy. I suppose you say "run down the gauntlet" instead of gantlet, right? After that, we'll move along to podium vs lectern, and end with the proper way to order at Burger King. "I'll have two Whoppers Junior".
How important is the podium?

/Larry King

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
Burger King? BURGER KING?!

I dine exclusively at Dairy Queen, and order the Chickens Finger Dinners.