Mel Brooks producing Spaceballs Cartoon for G4

Nov 22, 2005
South Philadelphia
http://www.tv.com/story/6415.html

Spaceballs cartoon coming to the tube
By Colin Mahan - TV.com
September 20, 2006 at 05:25:00 PM | more stories by this author

Animated TV version of Mel Brooks' 1987 comedy headed to this galaxy.
Moranis in <em>Spaceballs</em>.

Moranis in Spaceballs.

Dark Helmet lives.

The villain of the 1987 Mel Brooks movie Spaceballs may be primed for a return as MGM and Brooksfilms Limited, in association with G4 and Berliner Film Companie, prepare an animated series based on the film. SCTV vet Rick Moranis played the character in the movie.

The pilot is being written by Brooks and Thomas Meehan, a longtime Brooks collaborater who worked on the Spaceballs movie and who will oversee writing for the series. Meehan has also worked with Brooks on the smash musical version of Brooks' film The Producers.

Spaceballs starred Bill Pullman, John Candy, Daphne Zuniga, Moranis, and Brooks in a story that parodied many sci-fi films, chief among them Star Wars. The film grossed $38 million domestically.

Fingers Crossed this goes off, being its from last september. anyone have news about it?

Aug 11, 2005
awful just awful
oooo they're combing
the desert.
yeeeeeech

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
awful just awful
oooo they're combing
the desert.
yeeeeeech
nothing like making a cartoon based on a 20 year old movie that was 10 years too late to begin with anyways.

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
Nerd fact:

The black guy in Spaceballs who said "We aint found shit!" in the desert-combing scene... Is actually Tim Russ, who had a few Star Trek roles... most prominently as Tuvok on Voyager.

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
Yet another childhood memory ruined. Joy

Nov 22, 2005
South Philadelphia
man you guys are fuckwads, i dislike a lot of moron things that are put out but this vague description from late last year and 3 of 3 opinions are negative. go outside with wet hair and catch a cold.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I gotta agree with Sweet. I loved Spaceballs for it's Mel brooks camp humor. The fact that he is actually writing it means it has a good shot of being funny.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I gotta agree with Sweet. I loved Spaceballs for it's Mel brooks camp humor. The fact that he is actually writing it means it has a good shot of being funny.
I'm hoping it's good, but anything post Young Frankenstein has been kind of iffy

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
Mel Brooks is a genius and a legend, and some of his movies are requirements for any good DVD collection. But to be fair I think most people would admit Space Balls was not one of his better efforts. So I would have to say the chances of this cartoon making it is not very good.

I hope it does though.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Mel Brooks is a genius and a legend, and some of his movies are requirements for any good DVD collection. But to be fair I think most people would admit Space Balls was not one of his better efforts. So I would have to say the chances of this cartoon making it is not very good.

I hope it does though.
His weakest effort was the film version of "To Be or Not to Be"

May 7, 2003
Hicksville NY
I don't know about a cartoon version...But as far as movies go...I love Spaceballs

Carl Spackler

You want me to kill all the Golfers?
Oct 29, 2004
Bushwood Country Club
I love Mel Brooks movies. In Robin Hood it got a little cheezy at points, and Dracula was God aweful. But other than that, solid movies. I will give spaceballs a shot even though I wish this had happened 10 years ago. Speaking of Mel Brooks, he seems to be taking his movie hits and turning them into musicals.. so perhaps a Spaceballs Musical is in the works...

Mel Brook's Presents: Young Frankenstein The Musical

With such memorable tunes as "The Transylvania Mania," "He Vas My Boyfriend" and "Puttin' On The Ritz

I don't know about this...

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
His weakest effort was the film version of "To Be or Not to Be"
I did not see that one, but it sounds like I did not miss much.

Young Frankenstein was my favorite.