Metallica's Through the Never - the Movie: 08/09/13

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I was stumbling around imdb and I found out that Metallica is releasing a 3D concert movie this summer.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/metallica-through-the-never-plot/

I know what you're thinking:

- Why would Metallica name a concert movie after one of their worst songs?
- Why is this thread being posted in the movie forum?
- Why does that link have the word "plot" in it?
- How exactly did Pigdango find this movie on imdb?

Let's start with the last question first. I made a reference in the Amazing Spider-Man thread about the guy from Chronicle playing Harry, so I went to imdb to make sure that's where I'd seen him from and to see if he'd been in anything else. He has two movies in production, Spider-Man 2 and Through the Never, where he's playing the part of Trip. Wait, what? Playing a part? So I went to google, and found this:

We’re starting to learn more about ‘Metallica Through the Never,’ their long-awaited concert movie. In a new interview, the video of which is embedded below, one of the film’s stars says that the film combines music and drama in what he calls “a concert movie meets [Pink Floyd's] ‘The Wall’ meets Metallica.”

Dane DeHaan, who has appeared in the HBO series ‘In Treatment,’ plays a roadie who, in the middle of a Metallica concert, goes “on this trip…for the band and I pretty much literally have to go through hell and back to take it back to them, and all of this is going on during the concert so it all ties together really kind of beautifully and uniquely.”
Wait, what? What the fucking fuck?

ScottFromGA

I cum into socks.
Apr 8, 2006
Georgia
Through the Never was a badass song.....

lock this fucking thread.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I like Metallica, but they aren't Pink Floyd and they definitely aren't the Beatles.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Well, Some Kind of Monster was good, right? Doesn't really apply here, just sayin'.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Metallica hasnt made a good decision in over a decade. This is going to tank.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
So it's the Orpheus tale except it's about a roadie who must go to hell for Metallica? Shouldn't this be the plot for a Bill and Ted movie? Or something Tenacious D?

Also, I love The Wall album and movie. Never cared a lick for Metallica.

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
the wall was a great album and good movie btw.

Metallica will never get the same amount of respect they would be getting if they hadn't sold out. It could be good (I don't think so) and they would always be the "Metallica sold out!!!" crowd. In essence One was the the song that started the downward spiral because it made them known to the mainstream public and Bob Rock turned them into a big time selling act.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
I saw this tonight. As a concert film, it's fantastic. The band sounds great and everything looks amazing. The set list is fairly standard, nothing too deep (except for Orion over the closing credits). I did get a few chills when they hit the stage and blasted right into Creeping Death. Awesome. The scripted story is not as good. It's like a long music video. Kinda weird and over the top and good for some cool visuals but not terribly compelling. Dane DeHaan was fine I guess. He has no lines and does a lot of scowling. It's definitely for Metallica fans only.

DiggerNick

Donator
Oct 9, 2012
Your sister's underwear drawer
It couldn't be worse.

I just hope the band stuff is straight concert. I don;t want to see them 'acting', even though Lars seems to fancy himself a thespian in recent times.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
I just hope the band stuff is straight concert.
It is. There's a very small part in the beginning where it just introduces everyone, but they don't even really have lines or anything.

ericd

I'm a real fucko
Aug 21, 2009
N.C.
Was releasing the film on the anniversary of Cliff Burton's death just a coincidence?

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Death Magnetic was a good album....
Staunchly mediocre and 30 minutes too long. Lars still had shit sounding drumming and there isn't a single memorable bass guitar moment on the record
and they had ROBERT TRUJILLO. This applies to everything Metallica has done since Black album.

ScottFromGA

I cum into socks.
Apr 8, 2006
Georgia
Staunchly mediocre and 30 minutes too long. Lars still had shit sounding drumming and there isn't a single memorable bass guitar moment on the record
and they had ROBERT TRUJILLO. This applies to everything Metallica has done since Black album.
i liked it. all that matters to me, you metal snob.

:action-sm:haha7:

May 30, 2013
I just looked up Death Magnetic, I forgot how long it was, holy shit. I liked the album, but my not remembering how long it was proves I must not have liked it that much... The two songs I remember are Cyanide and The Day That Never Comes- both were pretty good (Cyanide was better), but Hetfield's voice sounded weak. Nothing touches their masterpiece "Lulu" though :rolleyes:

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Metallica hasn't done a record under 70 minutes in more than 20 years I think.

Who wants to listen to an 80 minute thrash record?

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I liked Death Magnetic, but it was yet another victim of the Loudness War, which is possibly the worst thing in the history of music.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Metallica was hyping this like a big time 1980s return to form and the Guitar Hero version sounds the best. What the hell?

Loudness Wars really punish the bassists. They don't stick out at all, no pop or distinction.