Mets ink Astacio

MAVRIC305

I speak the human language
This really solidifies the rotation in my opinion. I think he will pitch great with this great defense behind, and the great offense. I think he will be extremely successful. I love this deal.

NEW YORK -- Free agent pitcher Pedro Astacio, shut down late last season because of an injured right shoulder, and the New York Mets reached agreement Wednesday night on a one-year deal.

If healthy, Astacio would give the Mets a much-needed righty for their rotation.

Astacio, who played for the Colorado Rockies from 1997 until last year, is guaranteed $5 million, and can make an additional $5 million next season in performance bonuses if he pitches 230 innings.

Astacio's contract becomes guaranteed for at least $6 million in 2003 if he pitches 180 innings.

"You never have any assurances," Mets general manager Steve Phillips said. "There is some level of risk. But we expect him to be healthy."

The Mets, already one of baseball's busiest teams this offseason, watched Astacio pitch four times in the Dominican Republic winter league. The team brought him to New York for an MRI exam on Wednesday.

"He's loose and pain-free," Phillips said. "He clearly didn't have a sore arm."

Astacio was one of the biggest names available at last year's trading deadline. On July 31, he was sent from the Rockies with cash considerations to the Houston Astros for pitcher Scott Elarton and a player to be named.

But Astacio was found to have a partial tear in his right shoulder and, after going 2-1 with a 3.14 ERA for the Astros, was held out for the rest of the season.

Astacio, 32, finished the season at 8-14 with a 5.09 ERA in 26 starts for the Rockies and Astros.

Astacio did not undergo surgery, and followed a rehabilitation program that had him ready for winter ball. Phillips said Astacio wanted to continue pitching in the Dominican, but will not participate in any more games.

Phillips said the Mets had pursued Astacio in the past, but could never close a deal to get him.

Astacio is 103-96 with a 4.50 ERA lifetime with Los Angeles, Colorado and Houston. He is the Rockies' franchise leader with 53 wins.

The Mets had boosted their offense this offseason by acquiring Mo Vaughn -- for right-handed pitcher Kevin Appier -- along with Roberto Alomar and Roger Cedeno.

New York also had obtained Shawn Estes from San Francisco. He joined Al Leiter, Glendon Rusch and Bruce Chen as a fourth left-hander in the Mets' prospective rotation, leaving Steve Trachsel as the lone right-hander.

"We have made a lot of moves to affect our offense," Phillips said. "We think the addition of Astacio really reinforces the quality and depth of our rotation."

The Mets may not be finished dealing, either. After missing out of slugging Juan Gonzalez, they're still looking to acquire a power-hitting outfielder. Jeromy Burnitz, Bubba Trammell and Ben Grieve have been mentioned as possible targets, most likely for a left-hander starter other than Leiter.

"Right now, we have options," Phillips said.

NEW YORK -- Free agent pitcher Pedro Astacio, shut down late last season because of an injured right shoulder,
This is what worries me. He's got partially torn cartilage in his right shoulder, and opted to re-hab instead of surgery. Glad the MRI went okay, and he did win 17 in '99 with 210 K's. If he can get close to that we're okay.
I guess we'll see.

wackadoo

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES
goddamn!!!!
you guys are going to f'n good this year! the mets came one strong in the end of the year.the braves stink, this could be your year :mad:

of course the stinkin phillies signed a big time pitcher teery adams??? never heard of him? nobody did!!

go mets!!