Michigan hires WVU's Rodriguez

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
[media]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071216/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_michigan_rodriguez[/media]

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - Michigan has hired West Virginia's Rich Rodriguez as its next football coach following a search that featured two other top prospects deciding to stay put. Rodriguez, whose No. 11 Mountaineers are preparing for their second Bowl Championship Series game in three seasons, will take over Michigan's program from Lloyd Carr.

"I am thrilled to have Rich Rodriguez as Michigan's new coach," athletic director Bill Martin wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Sunday. "Rich brings an exciting brand of football to Michigan Stadium. We welcome the entire Rodriguez family to Ann Arbor."

Carr announced his retirement Nov. 19 after 13 seasons.

The Wolverines plan to introduce Rodriguez at a news conference Monday morning, Michigan athletic department spokesman Bruce Madej said. Rodriguez, who has a 60-26 record at West Virginia, led the Mountaineers (10-2) to their fourth Big East title in five seasons.

Carr plans to coach the Wolverines in the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1 against No. 9 Florida.

Rodriguez's West Virginia contract, which runs through the 2013 season, has a $4 million buyout clause if he leaves before next September.

When Michigan lured basketball coach John Beilein away from West Virginia last April, Beilein's contract had a $2.5 million buyout clause. Under an agreement with West Virginia, he agreed to pay $1.5 million to the WVU Foundation.

During Michigan's search, LSU's Les Miles and Rutgers' Greg Schiano both said they were staying put at their schools.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
wow kinda suprised at that. he left a good gig at wvu and turned down miami last year. not sure what he is thinking but it seems michigan likes to make wvu some money in hiring their coaches.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
wow kinda suprised at that. he left a good gig at wvu and turned down miami last year. not sure what he is thinking but it seems michigan likes to make wvu some money in hiring their coaches.
He turned down Alabama last year. I don't think Miami even bothered trying to get him: for all Miami's "swagger" and national championships their athletic department is POOR. As in, no money in the bank, broke as shit poor.

They're just really sloppy with their money there.

West Virginia fans, being the fucking retards they are, are freaking out about it. I mean, these are the people who burn couches in their town when they win (or lose, or win big, or lose small, etc.).

"I'm so happy/pissed I'm going to set my own furniture on fire!!"

Word is that WVU fucked up their relationship with RichRod pretty good. Not that RichRod isn't a douchebag: he is. But Michigan is used to that with Carr. RichRod took the better job, and good for him. But WVU's AD is just a shithead.

Dude is your head football coach, and you make him jump through hoops to get his wife a sideline pass? Dude shouldn't have to put it in his contract (like RichRod did). He should be able to tell his secretary to take care of it, and get it taken care of. There was all sorts of penny-ante shit that RichRod had to put up with because he apparently couldn't run his own program at WVU.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
wow didnt know it was that bad/stupid in wvu. michigan will be good for him and is by no means a bad job. i just thought that miami for all its financial problems always seems to win with the right coach. plus its one of the best states to recruit in. but he will do just fine in ann arbor

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
wow didnt know it was that bad/stupid in wvu. michigan will be good for him and is by no means a bad job. i just thought that miami for all its financial problems always seems to win with the right coach. plus its one of the best states to recruit in. but he will do just fine in ann arbor
The Miami job is shit. The facilities are 20-30 years old, the weight room looks like crap, etc., etc.

The last good coach at Miami was Butch Davis, and Miami can't afford to rehire Butch. He's getting ~$2 million a year at UNC, and Miami can't afford that kind of cash.

The WVU situation is just fucked up. West Virginia (the state) has all sorts of corruption problems, and all indications are that it's the same with their athletic department. Lots of "whose dick is bigger" shit going on between the AD and RichRod before RichRod quit, and that's not an isolated thing IMO.