Microsoft acquires InXile and Obsidian Entertainment

Bobobie

These two companies comprise the bulk of the original classic Fallout, Fallout NV, and Ice Wind Dale developers. Microsofts deep pockets and their talent ...
Brian Fargo announced he is not going to retire.

Microsoft acquires InXile to make role-playing games for Xbox, PC

JEFF GRUBB@JEFFGRUBB NOVEMBER 10, 2018 2:46 PM
Above: Wasteland 3 raised $3.1 million in crowdfunding.
Image Credit: InXile

The Xbox team’s acquisition storm continues. The publisher revealed today that it is folding Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera studio InXile Entertainment into its portfolio of game development teams. InXile founder Brian Fargo helped revealed the partnership at Microsoft’s XO18 fan event in Mexico City today. I asked Fargo what the acquisition means for his company, and he explained that nothing is going to change except for the financial security of the company and the amount of money it can put into future projects.
“We could not be happier to have Microsoft’s support to allow us to keep making the games we love,” Fargo told GamesBeat. “They offer us the most precious thing a developer could have, time and resources. I’m energized like I’ve never been before.”

https://venturebeat.com/2018/11/10/everything-microsoft-announced-at-its-xo18-mexico-city-event/
Fargo also addressed fans directly in a video message on YouTube. He talked in more detail about how this will free up his time to continue working on the projects that people want from InXile.
“One of my dreams has always been to create an environment where creativity can flourish,” he said. “And this is going to allow that to happen in a way that I’ve never had before. It’s going to allow me to spend 100 percent of my time in product development. It’s a luxury that very few development companies have, so I’m very excited.”
This is Microsoft’s sixth gaming acquisition of the year. It announced four acquisitions in June, it announced it was acquiring Obsidian in October, and now this. That’s on top of its brand new studio in Santa Monica. This gives the Xbox team more first-party power, and it also gives it more games to put into its Netflix-like Game Pass subscription for both Xbox One and PC.
Microsoft to the rescue
InXile started in 2002. Fargo founded it after leaving Interplay. The company began with the action role-playing game The Bard’s Tale in 2004, which is still one of its most beloved releases. After that it worked on puzzle games and ports through 2012, along with Hunted: The Demon’s Forge for Bethesda in 2011.
But InXile has had a resurgence over the last half decade. In 2012, the studio launched a Kickstarter to return to its computer RPG roots with Wasteland 2. At the end of that crowdfunding campaign, thousands of people ended up contributing nearly $3 million. Since then, it has relied on crowdfunding to launch games like Torment: Tides of Numenera and The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep.
These games have a loyal following, but this is a tough business for a studio the size of InXile. Creating games is getting more expensive — especially if you are trying to keep up with more well-funded outfits. And Fargo spoke vaguely about those pressures and implied that Microsoft rescued the studio from having to deal with them.
“One of the common themes that you’ve probably read about is the tenuous nature of survival for mid-sized game companies like ourselves,” Fargo said in his video to fans. “We live in this precarious position while we are simultaneously watching the audio, visual, and design capabilities grow at a breakneck pace. Joining the Microsoft team is going to let us spend all of our energies crafting the game experience.”
InXile says that in addition to having more money, it will also have all of Microsoft’s existing infrastructure at its disposal. The publisher has processes for doing quality assurance and localization, and InXile is going to take advantage of that.

Nothing is going to change

Fargo repeatedly insisted that InXile will continue to work on the stuff its fans have come to expect.
“Of course, we’re going to continue doing role-playing games,” he explained. “We love the world building. We love the sense of immersion. And we love when all of the game’s pieces come together. One of my favorite things about working on a great role-playing game is the vast number of emotions we can make a player feel. It’s really a great category to work on.”
He also confirmed that this acquisition shouldn’t derail the production of Wasteland 3, which is due out in 2019.
“Our studio is best known for our deep role-playing games, like Wasteland 2 and Tide of Numenera,” said Fargo. “Games that are centered around choice and consequence where your decisions change the world and narrative. Recently, we released The Bards Tale IV, where we modernized the classic dungeon-crawling experience. And we are just warming up with Wasteland with the upcoming Wasteland 3. At InXile, we love to write for the brutal world that makes the post-apocalyptic themes so fascinating.”
The question exciting question is what does the next game after Wasteland 3 look like for InXile? And Fargo hinted at that in his video.
“The bottom line is that we’re going to be able to make games that we would have never been able to make otherwise,” he said. “And even better, the DNA of the company will remain exactly the same. Microsoft wants to work with us because of who we are. They want us to keep doing what we are doing. They want to provide a stable home so we can be ambitious — allowing InXile to reach its full potential.”
So that likely means increased production values. I’m imagining a Bard’s Tale V with blockbuster-style visuals and voice acting. But who knows. Only one thing is certain.
As Fargo puts it, “This deal is going to allow us to make role-playing games for many years to come.”

Obsidian Entertainment also acquired

Above: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire hits the Fig crowdfunding platform today.
Image Credit: Obsidian Entertainment
Microsoft also said it is acquiring Obsidian Entertainment.
The Irvine, California-based Obsidian Entertainment was founded in 2003 by industry veterans from Black Isle Studios (similar to InXile). It quickly made a name for itself with the Xbox exclusive Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Over the last fifteen years, the studio has delivered genre-defining RPGs to players on both console and PC through titles including Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and Pillars of Eternity.
Microsoft said it will let studio to preserve its unique culture and build on its talent and vision to fully realize their creative ambitions. Both Obsidian and InXile will continue to operate independently.
Together, the two new studios bolster Microsoft Studios to now include 13 distinct development teams.

Obsidian stinks now that a woman married to a street shitter is the main writer instead of Avellone. InXile made wasteland 2...which was also written by Avellone...so not sure how they are now.

Bobobie

Obsidian stinks now that a woman married to a street shitter is the main writer instead of Avellone. InXile made wasteland 2...which was also written by Avellone...so not sure how they are now.
Now that they have the big bucks maybe they can entice him to come back, or find someone as talented. I liked the idea of Wasteland 2, but didn't like the games interface. Hopefully they will hire software engineers to work on their game GUI's.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Haven't ever been overjoyed with any Obsidian game. No big loss. Any small time company that gets taken over has yet to turn into gold instead of shit (*Looks at Bioware), so the trend will continue.

I'm open to suggestions.

Apart from Fallout (which gets repetitive as a motherfucker awfully quick) what are we left with? Pillars? Stick of Truth? Not exactly A+ must play titles.
Neverwinter Night 2 + Mask of the Betrayer Expansion
Kotor 2

Bobobie

I actually care less about the Obsidian deal. They have had the budget to make Tripple A games. I'm more excited about the idea of Inxile, for the first time, having a real budget to make turn based RPG's.

Yesterdays Hero

You hated Kotor? I've never seen anyone say they hated Kotor.

@Pigdango its official, he's a bigger hater than me. He wins.
I didn't hate it. I was just bored. I played it for the first time many years after it's release, so that most likely had everything to do with not enjoying it. Add in that I genuinely not a fan of Star Wars as a whole? Not for me.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Just another smart move by MS heading into next gen. Between services like gamepass, thier commitment to backwards compatibility (which you have to imagine will be built in from the start) and 13 studios who should be pushing out new games at or near launch, they are positioning themselves to come out of the gate on fire.

Yesterdays Hero

Just another smart move by MS heading into next gen. Between services like gamepass, thier commitment to backwards compatibility (which you have to imagine will be built in from the start) and 13 studios who should be pushing out new games at or near launch, they are positioning themselves to come out of the gate on fire.
How Backwards Compatible are we talking? Ala PS1 games on PS2?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
How Backwards Compatible are we talking? Ala PS1 games on PS2?
I imagine completely XB1 compatible, even if that means using the disk to unlock the DL.

The tech starts getting screwy with 360. Anything backcompat now will likely be available to DL. Disks may have to be case by case, if at all.

I don't see the currently available OG Xbox games being anything other than DL.