Microsoft CEO defends work on half-billion-dollar HoloLens military contract

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
These people are batshit crazy. They are pissed that Microsoft has the audacity to support our military.

Microsoft CEO defends work on half-billion-dollar HoloLens military contract

Microsoft won’t stop its work on a nearly half-billion-dollar government contract designed to bring HoloLens augmented reality tech to the U.S. Army.

“We made a principled decision that we’re not going to withhold technology from institutions that we have elected in democracies to protect the freedoms we enjoy,” Satya Nadella told CNN in an interview. “We were very transparent about that decision and we’ll continue to have that dialogue [with employees].”

The admission from the company’s top executive, implying that Microsoft has no plans to bend to a letter now signed by 200+ employees urging leadership to cancel work on a $479 million government contract, is hardly a surprise. Microsoft has fallen under internal scrutiny previously for its work pursuing and carrying out government contract work. This latest effort brings an emerging technology to the forefront of modern warfare with a contract that aims to use the technology to increase the lethality of United States forces.

The letter sent Friday sought to push the company’s leadership to stop work on the $479 million military contract. The group claims now that more than 200 Microsoft employees have signed the letter.

“We did not sign up to develop weapons, and we demand a say in how our work is used,” the letter reads.

The publishing of the letter came just days before the company held an event highlighting the technological advances seen in their augmented reality technologies.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/25/m...y-from-half-billion-dollar-military-contract/

Floyd1977

“We did not sign up to develop weapons, and we demand a say in how our work is used,” the letter reads.”

Don’t like it?, there’s a simple solution to that.

Floyd1977

That 500 mil contract is probably what is paying for this, so not likely.
Ok, how about this, they finish this project then announce they will no longer engage in military projects.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Ok, how about this, they finish this project then announce they will no longer engage in military projects.
Possible. I don't know, though. I can't believe this is MS's only military contract. They probably have billions of dollars in deals. I don't see them giving up that sweet cash.

Do these fucks think the military doesn't use laptops?

MTJonny

Donator
Satya already told them to get bent. Microsoft does a lot of work with government and aren't going to fuck up that gravy-train lightly. Plus it was a minuscule amount of employees that actually were whinging about this and most of them unrelated to the Hololens project. The only reason it was addressed was because it picked up a bit of steam in the media.

Floyd1977

Satya already told them to get bent. Microsoft does a lot of work with government and aren't going to fuck up that gravy-train lightly. Plus it was a minuscule amount of employees that actually were whinging about this and most of them unrelated to the Hololens project. The only reason it was addressed was because it picked up a bit of steam in the media.
Yeah maybe, I just never have much faith in big companies not folding.

MTJonny

Donator
Yeah maybe, I just never have much faith in big companies not folding.
It's a safe bet the majority of the time but this just doesn't fit the right narratives to get pushed as a big MSM outrage story.

KRSOne

They praise Google for refusing to work with the US military and praise them for working with the Chinese military. Its almost as if there was a commie running the CIA for the past decade under Obama and illegally spied on the Senate while Chinese spying increased, hacked the 2008 election, and China had great luck at uncovering US spying efforts from 20010 to 2013.

The left/neocons have a habit of projecting and one of their favorite lines is accusing Trump of treason. I'm not convinced by the Q anon stuff but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an internal war between military intelligence and the agency.

MTJonny

Donator
They praise Google for refusing to work with the US military and praise them for working with the Chinese military. Its almost as if there was a commie running the CIA for the past decade under Obama and illegally spied on the Senate while Chinese spying increased, hacked the 2008 election, and China had great luck at uncovering US spying efforts from 20010 to 2013.

The left/neocons have a habit of projecting and one of their favorite lines is accusing Trump of treason. I'm not convinced by the Q anon stuff but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an internal war between military intelligence and the agency.
How can you possibly keep this bit going after this long??

What was your old username? I need to go read your old shit to see if there has been any progression whatsoever.

KRSOne

What was your old username? I need to go read your old shit to see if there has been any progression whatsoever.
What did I say that was wrong?

The internal war stuff is speculation but the rest happened.

A commie was running the agency. China did hack the 2008 election. The Senate was illegally spied on. China had great luck uncovering US spy operations in China from 2010-2013.

China Crippled U.S. Spying Operations
WASHINGTON — The Chinese government systematically dismantled C.I.A. spying operations in the country starting in 2010, killing or imprisoning more than a dozen sources over two years and crippling intelligence gathering there for years afterward.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/20/world/asia/china-cia-spies-espionage.html

The left is fine with our tech companies helping the Chinese military but are against helping the US military.

Last edited:

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator

Kirk Strong.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
“We did not sign up to develop weapons, and we demand a say in how our work is used,”
Ah hahahahahahahaha. No, you have no say in it.
If you feel that strongly, quit. Bet that doesn't happen.

Floyd1977

Ah hahahahahahahaha. No, you have no say in it.
If you feel that strongly, quit. Bet that doesn't happen.
What's the chance that sabotage their work?
Anyone who signed that should have been immediately kicked off the project (assuming they had actual role on it, but how would one not know that, guess they all dozed during the project kickoff meeting) and moved to some menial role where they couldn’t access anything to do with the project.

This reminds me of Real Genius. How could Kilmer have not realized the extremely obvious applications of building a super death laser by where an eccentric burnout had to spell it out for him.

Last edited: