Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Flight Simulator X

I know there's at least a few flight simmers out there.
A couple of you were worried about the game because the demo ran like crap or had bugs etc.
I was too.
Friday MS released an updated demo.
No more blurry textures, no more blacked out cockpit windows, no more choppy framerate.
They even got the birds and cars working.
The updated demo also has 2 new aircraft to fly, a Learjet and a heli.
I'm guessing that this demo is based on the final build so if you want to see if you can run it, give it a go.
It ran great for me on my sub-par system but I had to cut down on the tree-gen if I wanted max textures.
This is the only place that I know of that has the updated version. I got great download speeds from the site though.
FSX is due this month, the 17th I believe.
$50 for the standard edition, $70 for the deluxe edition.

Standard EditionDeluxe Edition

NightStalker3

a complete moron that posts
Very cool. I haven't played one of these in years. I still remember the old days on a Commodore playing a Flight Sim. It is amazing what they have become. Wow, I thought I was going bed early tonight..

NightStalker3 said:
Very cool. I haven't played one of these in years. I still remember the old days on a Commodore playing a Flight Sim. It is amazing what they have become. Wow, I thought I was going bed early tonight..
Ha yea, they have come a long way.
WBL posted a side-by-side of an old school FS with the new one in the FS2004 thread from a few months ago.

Good stuff right there.

poopiebottoms

Sparkling Wiggles Lover
What's a good, but basic joystick to use?

I used to use a MS Precision, but it broke a year or so ago. I'm not hardcore into pedals and all, but need a basic stick with pitch, yaw and throttle control, and maybe a few buttons.

Any suggestions?

poopiebottoms said:
What's a good, but basic joystick to use?

I used to use a MS Precision, but it broke a year or so ago. I'm not hardcore into pedals and all, but need a basic stick with pitch, yaw and throttle control, and maybe a few buttons.

Any suggestions?
I've heard nothing but good things about this one. It has a twisty stick for your rudder.

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro but absolutely would NOT recommend it. After buying it I read that it has issues with losing calibration. I haven't had that issue (yet) but my twisty sticks return spring is not returning the stick to center anymore. To get around that I have to make a deadzone which feels awful compared to how it used to feel without one. It was a nice feeling stick when I got it but now it's just a pain in the ass.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Farside is dead on with both counts. Ive got one of those Logitech sticks, and I have the Evo. The 3d does lose calibration, ALOT, even mid game. The ONLY logitech product ive ever bought that I did not love. The Saitek, on the other hand, is a dream. Comfortable, great response, and IF IF IF IF it ever gets off center on calibration, giving the stick a good 360deg spin automatically recalibrates it. That stick fucking rocks.

tar_baby

Rush Limbaugh
it will be fun for a week

i got bored of 2004 quickly

SteveSteele

1 dog's goin this way..1 dog's goin that way...
I wish there was a good flight sim for the 360. Is there a good one for Mac? I used to have Falcon 4.0, but that was for pre OS-X. Still have my Saitek stick.

I used to enjoy playing the FS games. I would get bored too. There's really not much to do between taking off and landing.

I would love a new fighter sim. I haven't bought one since Jane's USAF. I loved that game.

NightStalker3

a complete moron that posts
Ploppy said:
I used to enjoy playing the FS games. I would get bored too. There's really not much to do between taking off and landing.

I would love a new fighter sim. I haven't bought one since Jane's USAF. I loved that game.

Yeah, the demo is ok, not sure if I will stomach and buy the full game. A massive Fighter-bomber-helo sim would be nice.

SpecialEd

Homeless Guy
Flight sim X

Who has it? where are you flying to, how do you like it?

i picked it up last week, just as something to mess around with, but i have realy gotten addicted. ive been mostly doing the missions, and not so much free flight. but i flew from PHL to JFK in a leerjet, those things are awesome planes. im planning to fly to thailand for some boom boom, yum yum later on.

Got it. Totally addicted.
Missions are a blast.
I've been doing "short" hops mostly though. Started in La Guardia, currently in South America. When I start up the sim, I take off from where I last landed.
And, yeah, the Learjet is a fucking blast!
I gotta get my hands on a flight yoke though, my joystick isn't cutting it.
Eventually I'd love to get my mitts on a TrackIR.
And top it off with a Captains hat like Captain Anthony :icon_cool

kingrat

Enough of this palaver!
I've got it....had it since release day. Runs surprisingly well on my old machine/vidcard. 20 - 30 fps.

Doing a tour of the states...started in orlando, to atlanta, to nyc, to boston, to toronto, to chicago to kc currently...just like farside...start where i landed before and pick another city to fly to. mixing up the planes...737, cessna, airbus, learjet etc.

Been using FS since the windows 3.x days. this one is the best yet...just need a powerful system...MS always creates this game for bleeding edge systems, plus what comes out in the future.

I feel like a tool sometimes playing this in front of my family. :)

GonzoRadio

I like yoguuuuuurt
I have an AMD64 3200+, 1.7GB of RAM and a 128MB Nvdia card. Can I play this game with a reasonable amount of eye candy turned out at a good frame rate?

highway23

I miss NY wings
the last flight game I played was Chuck Yager's in like...1996...

I can't imagine what this looks like now!