Microsoft Surface

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
First look at Microsoft Surface

Microsoft plans to take on the iPad with its Surface line of tablets, unveiled this week and due in stores later this year.

• Email Print

1 of 4

Microsoft Surface, an upcoming Windows 8 tablet, breaks from Microsoft's decades-old tradition of relying on outside partners to manufacture the actual devices that run its software. Microsoft developed the Surface itself, in secret, working on the project for several years before unveiling it this week.
"We believe that any intersection between human and machine can be made better when all aspects, hardware and software, are working together," Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said at the launch event. "Microsoft founders Bill Gates and Paul Allen made a big bet -- a bet on software -- but it was always clear that we had to push hardware in ways that sometimes manufacturers hadn't envisioned."
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2012/technology/1206/gallery.microsoft-surface-first-look/index.html

I think price will make or break this thing. If they can keep the price down and really push the whole smartglass integration thing they introduced at E3, I think it could give Apple a run.

Nice to see someone actually pushing ahead of Apple for once instead of playing catch up.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Hrumph hrumph Microsoft!!!!!

It's a full computer, which makes this the first tablet that I'd consider buying.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Nice to see someone actually pushing ahead of Apple for once instead of playing catch up.
Still a day late and a dollar short, so yes it is still playing catch up. The market's pretty mature or even over-saturated at this point. MS had tablets running Windows XP seven years ago, I still have my Samsung Q1. They take WAY too long to bring this stuff to market.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Still a day late and a dollar short, so yes it is still playing catch up. The market's pretty mature or even over-saturated at this point. MS had tablets running Windows XP seven years ago, I still have my Samsung Q1. They take WAY too long to bring this stuff to market.
I don't agree that it's a saturated market at all. There's a lot of product out there, but not a lot of good product, and it's mostly along 2 lines - iOS and Android. If this tablet is actually good, it could definitely find its market share, especially if it integrates well with your home PC.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Microsoft making the tablet itself is something new.

It is not a mature market, how can it be? Are schools and business filled with people using tablets? Maybe there are a few in every place but it has not been saturated. The problem is cellphones already have many of the features of tablets and PCs are better computers. With windows 8's app store, it could catch on to larger audiences very quickly.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
Depending on price point I'd get this and give my Xoom to my brother. Microsoft looks like they might actually get this right. The only question is whether I go Pro or not. Also the thing I currently need is a more accurate screen pen combo for drawing and some light CAD modelling.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Depending on how well this integrates with not just my PC at home, but how this integrates with my TV, FiOS, XBox Live, etc will dictate if I get one or not.
Also - do I go pro or not? If this follows suit with Microsoft's Home/Pro model, the RT will be for home use, and the Pro will be able to attach to a domain. That should be just about the only difference between the two flavors.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Im sorry, if you have to carry around an external keyboard and a kickstand to make it more like a computer you might as well get an ultralight notebook. I know they are optional, just let me be the wet blanket.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA
Im sorry, if you have to carry around an external keyboard and a kickstand to make it more like a computer you might as well get an ultralight notebook. I know they are optional, just let me be the wet blanket.
You're not far off.
Unless Microsoft knocks this out of the park, including disambiguating the difference between the 2 flavors, they'll have an even harder uphill battle against the iPad.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I disagree completely. The kickstand is built in. The keyboard is also the cover. That makes them less of "external" elements and more part of the device itself, but it can also function as a pure tablet. That's where they got this right IMO. They managed to incorporate the elements of a proper laptop without adding anything that you don't already carry around if you have an iPad.

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
I disagree completely. The kickstand is built in. The keyboard is also the cover. That makes them less of "external" elements and more part of the device itself, but it can also function as a pure tablet. That's where they got this right IMO. They managed to incorporate the elements of a proper laptop without adding anything that you don't already carry around if you have an iPad.
I didnt know that. So it basically is an ultralight notebook with a far less powerful CPU etc.? I guess Ill reserve judgement on the XL Zune until more info is released.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
You're not far off.
Unless Microsoft knocks this out of the park, including disambiguating the difference between the 2 flavors, they'll have an even harder uphill battle against the iPad.
That and the price points. If it's in the $1000 range, who'd buy this instead of a laptop (especially a PC laptop)? If they get the price of the RT version in the iPad range ($499-799), they may have a shot.
The fact that it's supposedly a true "Tablet PC" as opposed to what amounts to "Enlarged Phone/Mobile devices" in the case of the iPad and Android tabs makes me a bit leery. How does it perform? Why does it have heat vents on the sides (does it get hot?), Will all the PC apps work? Do they work well?
If they can score across the board and get the price down; we have a real competitor to the iPad (and all pcs now that I think of it). If it's a neutered tablet wilt shitty performance issues; it's the ZunePad® (which is what I will call it anyway, because I'm an Apple fanboy). :)

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I didnt know that. So it basically is an ultralight notebook with a far less powerful CPU etc.? I guess Ill reserve judgement on the XL Zune until more info is released.
You shouldn't compare it to an ultralight notebook because it's not in the same category. You wouldn't compare an iPad to an ultralight notebook because people use them for different things. This is a tablet that has more notebook capabilities than other tablets, but its primary function is still as a tablet.

Aug 27, 2002
Bensalem, PA via Souf Philly
You're not far off.
That and the price points. If it's in the $1000 range, who'd buy this instead of a laptop (especially a PC laptop)? If they get the price of the RT version in the iPad range ($499-799), they may have a shot.
If the price is right and this is a quality product, I don't think that is as much of an uphill battle as the both of you think. The key is that this has to be done right. If it is, I see this as a viable alternative to the IPad, for businesses. The main factor would be if this has the office suite and can handle activeX and handle it well.

Office suite has significant market share in the business world, even if they only get 10-15% off those users it is a win for microsoft. If it can run ActiveX it becomes MORE attractive to businesses that have a lot of remote users and are running Microsoft Server.

This is something that certainly peaks my interest, because the number of tablets on the market that can use office and remote in without using gotomypc or something similar right now? ZERO.

It certainly has potential.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
There are two versions. An ARM based "tablet" version and an Ivy Bridge i5 based "ultrabook" version. Windows 8 will support ARM, so both will run Office, though I wouldn't wanna be crunching huge Excel spreadsheets with what amounts to a cell phone processor. The i5 will be a beast of course.

Looks cool, but it will be way overpriced.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis

fletcher

Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
Id love to believe that gizmodo is unbiased but after the whole shitstorm that Jesus had to deal with with the iPhone 4 debacle I cant take what he says seriously, especially when it is anti Apple.
Agreed; I doubt anyone wouldn't believe there's not a bit of bias against a company that had you arrested and had the cops raid your house.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Id love to believe that gizmodo is unbiased
This could be the funniest thing I've read all day. Jesus Diaz is a cunt. He should stick to buying stolen iPhones.

Agreed; I doubt anyone wouldn't believe there's not a bit of bias against a company that had you arrested and had the cops raid your house.
He shouldn't have bought stolen property.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Anyone else think that keyboard looks miserable to type on? I need a certain amount of tactile feedback to type reliably.

They need to bring this in at about $400 to be popular. I don't see it happening because MS wants a certain cachet with their products, but at the end of the day, everything handheld and about 10" big will be compared to the ipad.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Anyone else think that keyboard looks miserable to type on? I need a certain amount of tactile feedback to type reliably.

They need to bring this in at about $400 to be popular. I don't see it happening because MS wants a certain cachet with their products, but at the end of the day, everything handheld and about 10" big will be compared to the ipad.

I disagree. It has more functionality than the iPad, that will justify a higher cost. If it holds up to the boasts, like someone else said, the pro version will fill a serious drought in tablet use for business.

And I still don't think people are seeing the full potential here. Combine this with the SmartGlass functionality MS has been talking about, and the "light" version becomes far greater than itself when used in the home, fully integrating your phone, PC and xbox.