Microsoft's 'All-Digital' Xbox One could launch in May

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Microsoft's 'All-Digital' Xbox One could launch in May

It would test the waters with a disc-free console.

Those rumors of Microsoft releasing a disc-free Xbox One in 2019 are gathering steam.Windows Central sources claim the system will be named the "Xbox One S All-Digital Edition" (a very Microsoft-like name if we've ever heard one) and would ship worldwide in early May, with pre-orders starting in mid-April. The tipsters didn't mention pricing or design changes, but Thurrott previously heard that axing the Blu-ray drive could slash the price by up to $100.

The rumor also hints at an upcoming Fortnitespecial edition console with custom artwork, although it's not certain if this would be a One S or One X.

Provided the leaks are accurate, the discless Xbox One would represent Microsoft testing the waters for its next-gen Xbox line, nicknamed Scarlett. It would find out whether or not gamers are truly ready to kick optical media to the curb and rely on a mix of downloads and streaming services. That could help it shape the future Xbox's design and dictate pricing.

That might be a tough call. Microsoft may have been prescient in 2013 when it envisioned an always-on console experience, but it's still true that many people rely on discs. Some gamers have to deal with restrictive data caps, while others may live in areas where internet access is slow or unreliable. An then there's the movie crowd. Although online video quality has improved over the years, there are still some who prefer Blu-ray discs. Microsoft might keep discs around for another generation if there are enough people unwilling to make the leap this year.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/05/xbox-one-s-all-digital-edition-leak/

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
The main problem with a digital-only is the consumer gets fucked hard when the licensing expires.

My son got one, I have shit internet, and it's not unlimited, one game was 26gb.

BIV

Seemed weird to me at first, since the new consoles are likely dropping as early as next spring....but it also makes sense. MS is trying to increase mind-share. They may be able to get this thing on the market for as low as $150. Couple that with 90 days of free Game Pass and you will see lots of PS4 and PC gamers jump in. Getting more people using the Xbox ecosystem can only help MS heading into next gen. Especially if their presentation at E3 is going to be as balls to the wall as everyone expects. They have a lot of knew developers that have been working on games that no one knows anything about...all of which will be on Game Pass.

Bobobie

It's been that way for PC games fore quite a while. I only have a DVD player installed because I was making DVD's for someone in the family that lives out in the Sticks and doesn't have internet.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
It's been that way for PC games fore quite a while. I only have a DVD player installed because I was making DVD's for someone in the family that lives out in the Sticks and doesn't have internet.
When I made my last PC, the goof at the PC store was all 'You're not putting a DVD player in the tower? You're going to want to watch DVD's.'

I still haven't had a need to watch a physical DVD. It's not 2002. Don't pull that Car Salesman shit on me.

Floyd1977

Yeah gotta imagine that the next true console generation will be digital only, or at the very least you will have to separately purchase an add on disc drive.

Floyd1977

The main problem with a digital-only is the consumer gets fucked hard when the licensing expires.
Technically there's no reason why a console couldn't de-authorize playback of a disc. Don't know if current gen has that capability but could be built into next one.

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
How the F am I supposed to sell my used games?

Also I find it amazing that the Xbox One never recovered from that initial pre launch disaster

BIV

Yeah gotta imagine that the next true console generation will be digital only, or at the very least you will have to separately purchase an add on disc drive.
The next gen is, literally, next year. It's not confirmed, but everyone knows it.

Disc based consoles are not going away any time soon. Too much of the country are still off the grid and it makes sense to keep them in production for other markets.

Not to mention, if they get rid of discs retailers will start dropping them. Retailers make their money off of discs, not consoles.

How the F am I supposed to sell my used games?

Also I find it amazing that the Xbox One never recovered from that initial pre launch disaster
That depends on your definition of "recover". There was no way they were going to catch up to PS4 once the user-base went there. But Xbox One sales have been really strong and the One X is destroying the PS Pro.

Guilty Spark

Eh, Sony kicked the snot out of MS this gen no matter how you slice it, even with the half step. Considering what a success the 360 was, Microsoft shit the entire bedroom.

BIV

Eh, Sony kicked the snot out of MS this gen no matter how you slice it, even with the half step. Considering what a success the 360 was, Microsoft shit the entire bedroom.
It got got beat. But it was only outsold by 3/2 and have almost zero presence in Japan. It didn't "shit the bed". And it's the vastly superior console/UI software. The only thing that held them back was no Japan sales and the lack of first party games. I say that as someone who owns both.

And it's obvious they learned from their mistakes. With all the moves they made over the last couple years (Game Pass, cross play, 15 new first party devs) and word that MS is planning for two next gen consoles (one regular and one all digital) MS is set to crush Sony next gen if Sony rests on it's laurels....which it will, because it's Sony.

BIV

Related: damn Xbox

Bobobie

I'd go with any console that would off a Mouse and Keyboard option.

Guilty Spark

It got got beat. But it was only outsold by 3/2 and have almost zero presence in Japan. It didn't "shit the bed". And it's the vastly superior console/UI software. The only thing that held them back was no Japan sales and the lack of first party games. I say that as someone who owns both.

And it's obvious they learned from their mistakes. With all the moves they made over the last couple years (Game Pass, cross play, 15 new first party devs) and word that MS is planning for two next gen consoles (one regular and one all digital) MS is set to crush Sony next gen if Sony rests on it's laurels....which it will, because it's Sony.
Yeah, if the back and forth pattern established with the PS2/Xbox gen continues this next gen will belong to Microsoft.
You have any interest in Days Gone? Everyone seems to be shitting on it but the zombie hoards look pretty cool.

BIV

Yeah, if the back and forth pattern established with the PS2/Xbox gen continues this next gen will belong to Microsoft.
You have any interest in Days Gone? Everyone seems to be shitting on it but the zombie hoards look pretty cool.
I've heard nothing but good things from people who have actually played it. I need to see more before I decide.

The idea that missions change based on the time of the day and the weather is really interesting.